Have you received too much change in Chiang Mai?

hml367

Walk away with a smile.....Not.  I always pay attention to monies given and monies received within any transaction (honed down to lazer detail from years of living in India). From experience here I find often that older Thai-vendors are indeed more likely to miscalculate the change given and of course if anyone under 30yrs.old is doling out the change without a calculator in hand, it is certain you will be left either on the negative or positive side of the difference.

In fact, this has happened so frequently (both + / -) that I have wondered if Thais in general have a collective academic learning deficit within the subject.

Again, from my India experience one can sense the difference between 'deliberation' and 'honest mistake' ....the former tends to ring true more for me concerning Thai-vendors.

All one can really do in this case is pay attention and voice corrections where needed....oh ya, don't forget to smile.(carry a calculator if you need to)

Edited by HaleySabai

About once I week, we get a good supply of 100s and 20s from the bank so we can pay for purchases with as close to the exact amount as possible.  So, I'm rarely short- or long-changed.

But, once at the bank, when I was withdrawing money from my account, transferring to someone else's, changing money into 100s and 20s and probably doing a few other transactions, I realized upon reflection immediately afterwards over lunch, that I'd maybe been given several thousand baht too much by the bank teller.  At least I thought I had, but unfortunately, I'd shoved the money into a section of my handbag that already had some money in it, so I couldn't be 100% certain if it was "new" money from the bank or some bank notes I already had in my handbag.

I went back to the bank and talked with the manager.  My hope was to quietly ask that if that teller was "under" for her till at the end of the day, then it was because of me, but I couldn't be certain and I didn't want her to go ask the teller if she was off because I feared the teller would simply put money into her own pocket, then claim she was under because she'd overpaid me.

Instead, the bank manager did something more sensible, she had the teller immediately close out her till without telling her why and do a count, balance or whatever they call the process to determine if "the pot's right"  It wasn't, so I returned the money and the teller has been eternally grateful ever since.  Apparently, they have to make up the difference when there are shortages at the end of the day.

54 minutes ago, elektrified said:

About 15-20 times over the last 10 years. Always give back. A few times 500 Baht too much.

Yes, in the handful of times it has happened to me it's because I've been given change for Bt1000 instead of Bt500.

Always given it back.

A few beers for me, but a days wage for a Thai.

Last visit, but Sukhothai not Chiang Mai.

Restaurant bill totalling 728 baht in folder, 1000 baht note inserted, waiter off to cashier with folder, returned with folder  and change of 728 baht.

Cashier quite overcome with joy when I rectified the mistake just prior to departure, again presume she would have had to make up the shortfall.

i am definitely more often given too much change than short changed. The biggest was a hotel receptionist who gave me 500 baht too much. I always, always return the amount over and they are very grateful. As others have said, the receptionist told me she would have had to make up the shortfall herself at the end of the day.

Yes, at Siam Commercial Bank, Big C , was given 1000 THB extra,did not notice,

till I got to Makro,drove back to the Bank and returned it to the cashier,she was

grateful ,as would have come out of her wages, if the shoe was on the other foot,

wonder what my chances would be if 1000 THB short, would have at least waited

till they balanced the books at end of the day.

regards Worgeordie

A real "quick change" artist is amazing to watch, as long as you are not the one being worked on. Unfortunately, many times the person being worked on doesn't catch on until it is too late. All of that being said, quick changing is somewhat different than short changing.

What I think would be interesting to watch is a short-changer trying to work on the quick-changer. I would put my money, pun intended, on the quick changer - if it was an artist.

Edited by hml367

2 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

My favorite too much change story comes from California.  Was withdrawing 1200 from First Interstate.  I really disliked the bank.  A young black man counted out 12, hundred Dollar bills, and looks at me and says "is the rest in twenties OK?"  I replied, "That will be fine."

Not Chiang Mai related,but KKK, was it because he was a young Black Man 

that tempted you to pocket the extra cash?

relax Countryman

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

About once I week, we get a good supply of 100s and 20s from the bank so we can pay for purchases with as close to the exact amount as possible.  So, I'm rarely short- or long-changed.

But, once at the bank, when I was withdrawing money from my account, transferring to someone else's, changing money into 100s and 20s and probably doing a few other transactions, I realized upon reflection immediately afterwards over lunch, that I'd maybe been given several thousand baht too much by the bank teller.  At least I thought I had, but unfortunately, I'd shoved the money into a section of my handbag that already had some money in it, so I couldn't be 100% certain if it was "new" money from the bank or some bank notes I already had in my handbag.

I went back to the bank and talked with the manager.  My hope was to quietly ask that if that teller was "under" for her till at the end of the day, then it was because of me, but I couldn't be certain and I didn't want her to go ask the teller if she was off because I feared the teller would simply put money into her own pocket, then claim she was under because she'd overpaid me.

Instead, the bank manager did something more sensible, she had the teller immediately close out her till without telling her why and do a count, balance or whatever they call the process to determine if "the pot's right"  It wasn't, so I returned the money and the teller has been eternally grateful ever since.  Apparently, they have to make up the difference when there are shortages at the end of the day.

The tellers do have to make up shortages from their pay, and they are under tremendous pressure to complete as many transactions as possible as fast as possible, along with selling insurance or whatever the product du jour is for the bank.  One mistake can take away a large chunk of the month's salary.

I can't recall any significant change errors, but errors on restaurant bills are common.  I think I have received a bill that undercharged me slightly more often than bills that overcharge me.  I always identify the error, I don't want to cheat or be cheated.

28 minutes ago, Countryman said:

relax Countryman

It did happen to be one of those years when the blacks had waged a race war on the whites, Summer of 1992 to be more precise in Oakland, so yes, that had something to do with it.

How about you, did you return the money because she was from Isaan, and you know those people are prone to mistakes like that?

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

9 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

In fact, this has happened so frequently (both + / -) that I have wondered if Thais in general have a collective academic learning deficit within the subject.

You assume that all Thais have attended school. I think a lot of the older Thais have no real education, and even the younger Thais from the various ethnic minorities (i.e. hill tribes) may also lack proper education.

I have met people in their twenties (in Chiang Mai) who had either been “home schooled” (by their siblings) or attended just a few years of community school.

3 hours ago, Countryman said:

relax Countryman

5 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

My favorite too much change story comes from California.  Was withdrawing 1200 from First Interstate.  I really disliked the bank.  A young black man counted out 12, hundred Dollar bills, and looks at me and says "is the rest in twenties OK?"  I replied, "That will be fine."

yawn, USA again. We're in Thailand....

You get an interesting series of reactions when you question your change;  offended and defensive thinking you are going to complain about being short changed, then to can't believe i have given out too much change, then to relief and gratitude. 

Paid car loan and credit card at Tesco Express. Bill about 25000B. Walked out with an unexpected extra 3000B in my wallet.

Walked back in and told them I thought there had been a mistake, left my number and told them to call me if the till was down. They called an hour later, down 3000B. Returned to pay them back. Unfortunately, the girl never called me again. :sad:

My change was short of 100 Baht at Rimping, a few months ago. After noticing, I went straight back to the tiller to complain. Without having said a single word, the girl gave me 100 Baht. It was obvious that she did it on purpose. Wonder how much extra money she makes. Now I use other tillers and all is fine. Be aware !

Edited by Beng

Happened to my wife and I maybe 20 times over the last couple of years...My wife always checks the bill in restaurants or supermarkets.

If there is a mistake one way or the other she tells the cashier or waiter....

Once we left a place and forgot to pay the bill in Chiang Mai, when we realized it we were a couple of km's further and went back to pay. They were so surprised that we did this. They said to me Thais would never do this, my wife told them that she was Thai !!

Only one time we got a few thousand more in a exchange booth and when we realized it we were to far to go back ... (fortunately) ...

One other time I needed to pay 90 Bath, I gave a 100 bill, and the waitress went to get a calculator and calculated that she had to give me back 10 bath....!!!.....left me speechless !!!!!

Edited by off road pat

On 11/15/2016 at 10:29 AM, MickeyMaow said:

Correct, and give the excess back.

Yes, unless it's my local Tesco lotus Express, I have been short chanced a few times it there, plus the very poor service.

The local 7-11s, no problem.

On 11/15/2016 at 10:54 AM, Dipterocarp said:

Yes, these youths who need a calculator to make change of a 100 baht note for one 35 baht item sometimes need help.

Calculator - I often drop into the bank and pay 1,000 on my Thai credit card. In every case the teller keys in 1000, then keys in a deduction of 1,000, answer is zero Baht, therefore all OK.