Spectacular sights of 'supermoon' across Thailand

webfact

PHOTOS:

Spectacular sights of 'supermoon' across Thailand

By Coconuts Bangkok 

moonheader.jpg

Photo: Thai National Observatory

BANGKOK:  -- Sky gazers rejoiced last night at the "supermoon," which was the closest the moon has been to Earth since 1948. For Thailand, a bright big moon couldn't come at a better time as the country also celebrated its annual Loy Krathong festival.

In Bangkok, the Bangkok planetarium held an event for the public to use their telescopes for free and record numbers of people turned up to take a look. Luckily for our capital, which is almost always cloudy, the sky opened up last night, allowing great photo opportunities for celestial enthusiasts.  

Some Thais held up paper cutouts of a Thai number nine against the moon to pay respect for their late king.

Photos: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/15/photos-spectacular-sights-supermoon-across-thailand

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-15

Very unimpressed and disappointed. I live in a country location just outside Pattaya without much lighting so what i saw was reality. From the front of my house the moon looked about the same size as normal. I went outside to look a few times during the night. 

The photos posted in this article must have been photoshopped...

Phuket had a bit of cloud cover close to horizon and I felt lazy so didn't try to find a place to get something interesting together with the moon. 

Simple moon shot

30945653416_12553bf6c8_c.jpg

Upper atmosphere had some ice crystals, so there was a halo around the Moon.

30892959311_a776d5dff5_c.jpg

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

This one by https://www.facebook.com/vachira.thomas is absolutely stunning!

Unlike many other shots, this looks to be genuine one shot and not a combination of two different photos.

moon8.jpg

The moon is oriented wrong to have been imaged last night from Thailand.

Look at every other picture in this thread—even the obviously photoshopped ones—and you will see the Tyco crater at the bottom right, and three "seas"  - the dark circle near top right is the Sea of Crises, and the three below it are (L to R) the Sea of Serenity, Sea of Tranquility, and Sea of Fertility.

On Vachira Thomas' photo, Tycho is pointing due west and the three seas of Serenity, Tranquility, and Fertility are at the bottom (the Sea of Crises is obscured by the temple) - indicating the image could not possibly have been taken last night in Thailand.

1 minute ago, jamesbrock said:

The moon is oriented wrong to have been imaged last night from Thailand.

Look at every other picture in this thread—even the obviously photoshopped ones—and you will see the Tyco crater at the bottom right, and three "seas"  - the dark circle near top right is the Sea of Crises, and the three below it are (L to R) the Sea of Serenity, Sea of Tranquility, and Sea of Fertility.

On Vachira Thomas' photo, Tycho is pointing due west and the three seas of Serenity, Tranquility, and Fertility are at the bottom (the Sea of Crises is obscured by the temple) - indicating the image could not possibly have been taken last night in Thailand.

According to his fb-page, the photo was taken at 5am, eg. in the morning and facing west. Other photos are from evening and facing east. That should explain the orientation of the seas.

(I personally look at the brightest crater, at 4 o'clock on my photo, for the orientation. Is that Tyco crater?).

I had a twitter chat with one photographer and he pointed out that other photo on Vachira's fb had over illuminated moon, while the surrounding temples were darker than in this photo. So it might be that it's not real, but I would still not give up the hope. 

7 minutes ago, oilinki said:

According to his fb-page, the photo was taken at 5am, eg. in the morning and facing west. Other photos are from evening and facing east. That should explain the orientation of the seas.

(I personally look at the brightest crater, at 4 o'clock on my photo, for the orientation. Is that Tyco crater?).

I had a twitter chat with one photographer and he pointed out that other photo on Vachira's fb had over illuminated moon, while the surrounding temples were darker than in this photo. So it might be that it's not real, but I would still not give up the hope. 

Yes, that is Tycho.

Your (his) explanation makes sense - I neglected to think of a following morning shot.

5 hours ago, dictater said:

so many photo shopped images, was the real thing not impressive enough?

It wasn't. The moon looked a tiny bit larger and brighter, that's all.

"Spectacular"? Well, that's just as much an inflated word as the moon was inflated on all those fake pics. Luckily it didn't break the antenna off Baiyoke 2 when it passed over it.

Edited by Misterwhisper
additions

9 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

It wasn't. The moon looked a tiny bit larger and brighter, that's all.

"Spectacular"? Well, that's just as much an inflated word as the moon was inflated on all those fake pics. Luckily it didn't break the antenna off Baiyoke 2 when it passed over it.

The Super Moon was to appear to be 14% larger and 30% brighter. Some people

are not impressed by those figures, others are. It was never going to appear to

be 3-4 times its normal appearance. :tongue: