Video: Child, 4, knocked down - woman lies to bystanders then flees the scene

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Remember Folks , this is Thailand , Safety is a non starter for everything that walks, let alone a four year old child...

we we see it all the time, Adults just walking without looking...

and of course , here in Thailand it's all about MONEY....

sad for,the kid, but any normal parent would of taught his child about crossing the road..., or playing near the road..., never too young to learn...

he  will have  learnt nothing  from this

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I would agree, but this looks like a main road but in a built up area, speed bumps are for very slow moving traffic not 40 kph.

I have to say the truck looks to going faster than even 50 kph, they do that where I live all day every day, speed bumps are on the side roads.

isnt  the  speed  limit 60km/h ....Head of  village recently told  me I drive too quickly but could  not tell me the speed  limit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

This comment will probably go to the history as one of the most peculiar and sad ones.
Did you really make that one up yourself, or did someone help you?

If you are the owner or caretaker of someone or something that can cause a danger to other people or other peoples belongings then you are responsible for every damage caused by that.  

No matter if guilty or not.

This is called liability regardless of fault. In my country we have a law of that kind. Probably in other countries as well. Get real. The parents would be liable even if they could not have avoided the accident. But - they could by taking care of the boy and teaching him of traffic danges.

Same as you let your dog roam free - it causes an accdident - you are liable.

15 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

For friggs sake he is a 4-year-old boy ....not a Ph D student in road safety. He lost his concentration for a second in the fun of the moment.

If any of the posters who blame the parents have had kids then they should darn well know you cannot, just cannot, be 100% sure all your words, lectures and warnings about traffic will, every single time, be taken on board.

4yr  old  should  be WITH parent 100% of  the  time  if  any  access to  a  road.............stupidly  his  kid  brother  probably  already  drives  the family  motorbike..............they do  round  here

23 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The driver could do very little. The kid ran out in front of the car. But at the end of the day, you don't leave the scene of an accident. The driver should be in deep trouble and made an example of to not do a runner. Also, if people attack any driver who hits someone in their car, they should also be made an example of. People need to let the police deal with it. 

My missus has a 5 year old nephew. He's the nicest kid in the world but he's hard work. Everyone is always watching him and it's tiring work. Accidents can and always will happen, but they can be prevented and lessened with proactive and forward thinking. Anytime my missus nephew is in a car park ,etc, someone grabs his hand. This is why I don't have kids. I enjoy my sanity too much. 

Having kids is the only sane thing to do.

7 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

If you are the owner or caretaker of someone or something that can cause a danger to other people or other peoples belongings then you are responsible for every damage caused by that.  

No matter if guilty or not.

This is called liability regardless of fault. In my country we have a law of that kind. Probably in other countries as well. Get real. The parents would be liable even if they could not have avoided the accident. But - they could by taking care of the boy and teaching him of traffic danges.

Same as you let your dog roam free - it causes an accdident - you are liable.

First thing you have to understand, is that laws in Thailand are not the same as the laws in your country. When you get that part we can move on......

I know for a fact that most parents in Thailand are very serious about the danger of traffic, when it regards children, and I am quite sure that the parents in this case have been trying to teach that.
Still it is like this: Unfortunately children does not listen some times and also do thins suddenly without thinking. Just like you speak it´s probably same in your country, because children are the same everywhere.
Laws on the other hand changes from country to country, as I hope you are well aware of.

I know that dogs are our best friends, and they should be highly regarded. It seems a little strange though that you compare someones child with a stray dog, because that´s what it´s called if you let it run free in the streets.

I also hope that you understand that a person who runs over a child in traffic, probably don´t think about the possible damages on their car. Not even if they run and try to hide, which probably is an act of a scared person.

If you read and think before you answer next time, maybe you suddenly find out that I got a point here. Cheers!

Edited by Get Real

On 11/16/2016 at 7:07 AM, Somtamnication said:

Yes, he deserves to be hit by a car? Pathetic. The driver needs to be caught quickly.

however 43  people disagree with you and 5  agree  with you and the poster did not say he deserved to be hit  by a car

On 11/16/2016 at 9:36 AM, little mary sunshine said:

So sad, hope he has a speedy,recovery!

Where are the Parents??  Why didn't they go with the boys?

Parents need to TEACH children to LOOK OUT for cars,

especially with the wreckless driving in Thailand.  Ever

heard of "LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING"!!  Parents

take care of your children....He is only 4...Brother is only 9!!!

They are Thai, what do you expect from them? Most of them simply don't care and are too lazy for move them ass and send the kids to the shop for them. My neighbor's son is 12 and he is always riding the motorbike without helmet, i saw him drive already and it's pretty scary. One time his parents sent him to buy something to the 7/11 and he got an accident.

Do you think they learnt something? The answer is no, 3 days after they send him again and always without helmet,  just because his fat taxi driver father and his mom are too lazy... 

Edited by wes13

The amount of bigotry and racism against Thais in general shown in this thread is revolting. Rather than show sympathy or concern for whether the boy survived or not, so many seem to have used it as an excuse to demonstrate their small-minded prejudices against Thais. And a lot of the worst offenders (though not all) seem to be American. Perhaps it is a post-Trump phenomenon, where more racism and bigotry than usual is deemed acceptable? 

Hell, young kids of this age get run over regularly in America and elsewhere too. Only a week or two ago, a 9 year old girl was killed in rural Massachusetts when getting down from the school bus and he school-bag was caught in the door and caused her to be dragged along. A horrendous accident, but no one is blaming Americans, her parents or bus drivers (or whatever other demographic you care to mention) in general for it. Accidents occasionally do happen, and while there are obviously more per head of population in Thailand than America, which most people are well aware of, it should not be seen a green card for petty-minded bigots to have a rant at an entire nation. 

How about a little more empathy with the little boy, who I hope pulls through from this shocking accident without life changing injuries.

5 minutes ago, plachon said:

The amount of bigotry and racism against Thais in general shown in this thread is revolting. Rather than show sympathy or concern for whether the boy survived or not, so many seem to have used it as an excuse to demonstrate their small-minded prejudices against Thais. And a lot of the worst offenders (though not all) seem to be American. Perhaps it is a post-Trump phenomenon, where more racism and bigotry than usual is deemed acceptable? 

Hell, young kids of this age get run over regularly in America and elsewhere too. Only a week or two ago, a 9 year old girl was killed in rural Massachusetts when getting down from the school bus and he school-bag was caught in the door and caused her to be dragged along. A horrendous accident, but no one is blaming Americans, her parents or bus drivers (or whatever other demographic you care to mention) in general for it. Accidents occasionally do happen, and while there are obviously more per head of population in Thailand than America, which most people are well aware of, it should not be seen a green card for petty-minded bigots to have a rant at an entire nation. 

How about a little more empathy with the little boy, who I hope pulls through from this shocking accident without life changing injuries.

Thanks for that post. I really hope you stay in Thailand. Then there would be at least one good person among a 1000 others that moved to this country
And to everybody else. No I am still not a Thai person.

8 minutes ago, plachon said:

It's really sad for the kid of course and accident happen. But here there is a lot of accident (i mean with the kid) who could be avoid if the parent were not careless or lazy. Everyday when i bring my son to the school i see a lot of kid around 12 years or less who go alone to the school on motorbike and WITHOUT helmet... If accident happen they don't learn the lesson, i'm pretty sure that soon this 2 small boy will go back to this shop alone...

I recall regularly being dispatched at the age of 4 to the local store for bread, milk etc on my tricycle which had a boot on the back to carry the goods. Fortunately this was half a century ago when things were very different.

My eldest son is 12 and is not allowed to ride a pushbike on these roads and has never sat on a motorcy...

17 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Really?

Yes it may not good parenting but driver also travelling to fast to stop thus avoiding child being knocked down AND then leaving the scene of the collision (NOT accident) without assistance to the child.

A cowardly act by uncaring driver!

not going to fast to stop in ordinary circumstances, you should leave a gap between vehicles enough to stop if the vehicle in front has to do an emergency stop but if a child or dog runs out in front of you their is no chance to stop in time.  I was in a similar situation in the UK but luckily the child only brushed the car and was uninjured, i knew his parents and went to see them and the result the child had a good telling off and the parents thanked me for letting them know

14 hours ago, Get Real said:

No, not really allowed in this case. Definately not with a comment like yours. Children are out like this in many places in the world.
In thoose countries it is not called bad parenting. It´s just the way of life. You don´t have to accept that, but you can not excuse yourself for laughing and think that is ok either.

How ever most of the people here are not accusing the driver. Some do and in that case they mostly mean he/she shouldn´t have fled the scene.

For that everybody have the right to blame the driver. Just you that are doing wrong laughing about it.

I clearly stated 'those 'who blame the driver.  Nowhere did I laugh at the kid getting injured.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

I know for a fact that most parents in Thailand are very serious about the danger of traffic, when it regards children, and I am quite sure that the parents in this case have been trying to teach that.
Still it is like this: Unfortunately children does not listen some times and also do thins suddenly without thinking. Just like you speak it´s probably same in your country, because children are the same everywhere.

--

So you know for a fact eh?  Funny.  I know for a fact I've seen many Thai parents let their kids run wild and not give a care.  Too busy on their mobile phones.  I've seen kids play near stairs and escalators while their parents yell from across the public space.  And what happens if the kid ends up tumbling down.  Who's fault would that be?  Playful child or parent?

If I had a child like that i would be one of those doggy leaches so they are within a few feet from me at all times.

I hope the child recovers but I blame the parents for this tragic accident.

26 minutes ago, bkk75 said:

So you know for a fact eh?  Funny.  I know for a fact I've seen many Thai parents let their kids run wild and not give a care.  Too busy on their mobile phones.  I've seen kids play near stairs and escalators while their parents yell from across the public space.  And what happens if the kid ends up tumbling down.  Who's fault would that be?  Playful child or parent?

If I had a child like that i would be one of those doggy leaches so they are within a few feet from me at all times.

I hope the child recovers but I blame the parents for this tragic accident.

Sure there are many parents that don´t give the care necessary too. You are totally right!
It´s just some few last things to handle:

Where in the world is neglecting of proper care for children not common? Is that Thai specific?

Where in the world has the mobile phones not been taking over many peoples life? Is that Thai specific?

I have a child som I know how they react different times in their playful life. You don´t tell, so I don´t know if you have or not. Anyways this is not Thai specific either.

I also hope that the child recovers, but don´t put the blame. Just because neither you or me know enough facts do do that, more than that the driver fled from the scene.
That on the other hand can have many reasons. Panic, afraid, knowledge of drinking before driving is just a few of thoose. Also there it´s not enough facts to speculate.

On 16/11/2016 at 7:40 AM, fruitman said:

If this child is so wild and stupid his dad shouldn't let him go out alone. Maybe the carowner will send the bill of the cardamage to the dad.

What's matter with you..I got a 4 and half old boy...full of energy. I take him to the store he knows to hold my hand going across the street. kids don't know the danger. they have to be taught. the boy was not stupid . .just made a mistake.

GET with it.

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

What's matter with you..I got a 4 and half old boy...full of energy. I take him to the store he knows to hold my hand going across the street. kids don't know the danger. they have to be taught. the boy was not stupid . .just made a mistake.

GET with it.

He was stupid, he should have learned to watch out when running onto the road. His dad is also stupid to let him go out alone with his brother.  Making a mistake is stupid but young kids are famous for that, parents should know that.

On 11/16/2016 at 8:32 PM, sweatalot said:

too fast to stop?

You mean 5 miles an hour?

You serious?

Were you the driver, knowing the vehicle was only travelling at 5mph? 

What is 5mph in this age of kmh?

Any driver should drive according to the conditions (but never exceeding the speed limit , of course) and thus be prepared for the totally unexpected. As a long time motorcyclist it is something I learned early on in order to stay alive or at least uninjured. And I was always "lucky" enough to avoid hitting idiots, animals and kids while riding.

I am not absolving the kid totally for his part in the collision but drivers/riders do need to sharpen their awareness skills when driving/riding in adverse conditions. Learn to expect the unexpected!

14 hours ago, kannot said:

isnt  the  speed  limit 60km/h ....Head of  village recently told  me I drive too quickly but could  not tell me the speed  limit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Good point, unfortunately the link doesn't seem to help much.

I can't really tell if the road is in a built up area from the video clip, the shop might just be a stand alone building. The signage here is almost none existent. The only place I see speed restriction signs is on the Tollways, and a fat lot of good they do. They might as well put "no weaving or undertaking" signs up too.

It is so long since I did the so called driving test here I forget what they are.

:huh:

59 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Were you the driver, knowing the vehicle was only travelling at 5mph? 

What is 5mph in this age of kmh?

Any driver should drive according to the conditions (but never exceeding the speed limit , of course) and thus be prepared for the totally unexpected. As a long time motorcyclist it is something I learned early on in order to stay alive or at least uninjured. And I was always "lucky" enough to avoid hitting idiots, animals and kids while riding.

I am not absolving the kid totally for his part in the collision but drivers/riders do need to sharpen their awareness skills when driving/riding in adverse conditions. Learn to expect the unexpected!

MPH is still used by 300+ million people. 5 MPH is about 8 KPH, or about 4.3 knots.

I agree about there need for better awareness, but there was nothing anyone could have done in this case, the kid was like a suicide jumping in front of a train.

Just an observation about the morality of leaving the scene of a traffic accident, or failing to provide assistance to any injured party:  When I first arrived in Papua New Guinea as a (then Australian Federal) Government employee, part of my orientation package was a brochure handed to every visitor (tourist, business, etc) on arrival. It highlighted a police warning to drivers to NEVER stop under any circumstances after a traffic accident for any reason, to leave the scene immediately and to report the accident as soon as possible at the nearest police station.  The advice was for the driver's own safety. People were expatriated quickly because of the risk of "payback", whether they were at fault or not.  The perception of "fault" varies in different cultures, particularly when relatively new technologies (like motor vehicles) are involved, dependent on the level of general education, values and perspectives within a society.  Incidences can reflect cultural clashes for new arrivals in an "alien" culture. It's easy to make judgements without considering a wide range of factors. Fear and common sense might have overcome compassion in this driver's reactions.

On 11/17/2016 at 9:26 AM, wes13 said:

They are Thai, what do you expect from them? Most of them simply don't care and are too lazy for move them ass and send the kids to the shop for them. My neighbor's son is 12 and he is always riding the motorbike without helmet, i saw him drive already and it's pretty scary. One time his parents sent him to buy something to the 7/11 and he got an accident.

Do you think they learnt something? The answer is no, 3 days after they send him again and always without helmet,  just because his fat taxi driver father and his mom are too lazy... 

Thais love their children just as every parent.  They just fail to

see how dangerous things are with Thai society today!

15 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

MPH is still used by 300+ million people. 5 MPH is about 8 KPH, or about 4.3 knots.

I agree about there need for better awareness, but there was nothing anyone could have done in this case, the kid was like a suicide jumping in front of a train.

Agreed but MPH is not used in Thailand though.

Looking at video in original post shows a car parked on side of road (rightly or wrongly) to the left of the "collision" driver. That in itself is sufficient reason to slow right down in case of a door opening, someone stepping out and the driver needs to avoid by changing direction or by stopping. That is awareness!

It seems that the child was still a long way from the collision driver who should have been able to stop (if travelling slowly) or at least take avoiding action by swerving and stopping to her right.