Street vendor accused of reusing ice and straws for soft drinks

snoop1130

Street vendor accused of reusing ice and straws for soft drinks

By Coconuts Bangkok

new_photo_0.jpg

Photo: Chandrakasem Rajabhat Post

Would you ever drink from a stranger's cup? The bad news is you probably have, if you regularly buy soft drinks near Chandrakasem Rajabhat University.

A video of a street vendor on Ratchada Road putting leftover ice from customers' cups back into the bucket has shocked many people this week.

The video was released by the Chandrakasem Rajabhat Post Online, the university's newspaper. They have contacted district officials to investigate.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/16/street-vendor-accused-reusing-ice-and-straws-soft-drinks-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-16

I have seen seen street venders melt the plastic bags to release the oil

I have seen street venders spray mosguito repellent on that dried squid Deleted

The Verry beginning to a Long List

Edited by Slaps
Co's I Can

30 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

And there we have it!
Propoganda news benefiting the rich and belittling the poor. Well done university students! A credit to society!

And there he is, our forum Robin Hood who always has a reason to offence the rich in BKK. Of course they should drink recycled ice, think of the drought upcountry this year and just drink it!

I've seen cats walking on the foodstands and peeing, vendors who "wash" their hands on a dirty tod which hangs on the cart. Vendors washing the dish in the gutter with a bowl of water. Fish drying right next to mainroads where loads of traffic passes nonstop...Vendors who refilled their Singha 10L waterbottle with a can of tapwater.

This is why i won't eat from the streets.

49 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

And there we have it!
Propoganda news benefiting the rich and belittling the poor. Well done university students! A credit to society!

Perhaps my stupidity causes me to avoid the cost and anguish of a stay in the hospital by belittling your fellow poor...

But you are the smart one... ?

People who eat and drink at these street food stalls already know the risks.

A few years ago my GF and I went to eat at a noodle stall in the Hang Dong market, Chiang Mai. An old lady served us bowls of noodles and then went back into the cooking area stirring a big pot of food on a stove. Then I saw her sneeze full blast directly into the pot. My GF and me stopped eating and walked away. Seeing that put me off those street food vendors for life.

The vendor that was caught out in the OP is probably one of thousands that have yet to be caught in the act.

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Chatuchak district officials fined the street vendor THB5,000

So it would appear there is indeed a problem here.

5000 baht fine for this

500 baht fine for killing people with your car

Sounds like the law is working   :whistling:

Edited by monkey4u

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

This will just be the tip of the iceberg,for what gets recycled at some of the food establishments,

regards worgeordie

But is it a used iceberg? :smile:

I eat street food knowing the risks. Not all that often, and obviously, not anywhere. Same goes for other countries (some worse than Thailand). Can't gauge long term damage done, but discernible effects aren't common. Guess picking the "right" place is something learned over time. And not as if hygiene is always that great at restaurants, even high-end ones.

Each to his own. The OP stuff is disgusting, though.

19 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I went to a Doctor here and he told me " Never " drink or eat food from street venders here as they cannot be trusted. He said Thai's are immune to many of the bacterias here but you aren't.

Can't argue with that.  I've been food poisoned a few times in LOS where my wife and MIL have eaten exactly the same dish.  I've been doubled up in agony for days and they're as bright as rain. 

2 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

sort of double whammy really      as the original water  source  is probably of a very dubious nature 

I have seen the government check bottle water suppliers and it seems pretty strict.  That said if it comes from the tap you are in trouble. I would guess many street vendors do use tap water. So yes you are 100% right. 

Frankly, I don't think that hygenie or food safety is necessarily any better in a restaurant. I don't even want to know what could go on behind closed kitchen doors ... at least with street vendors you can observe some of the process how your meal/drink is taking shape and back off if you don't like what you see. A good food poisoning every now and then is just part of living here I guess :-)

15 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

And there we have it!

??? 

Got brain-damaging food poisoning from one your 'poor' already?

Runner up for >dumbest post of the week, not bad ...