Udon Thani: Find this car - video shows Honda Civic flattening two motorcycles and fleeing the scene

webfact

Udon Thani: Find this car - video shows Honda Civic flattening two motorcycles and fleeing the scene

a3.jpg

Picture: Thairath

UDON THANI: -- Netizens have been enlisted to help find the driver of a grey Honda Civic that collided with two motorcycles then drove off at speed.

The car was turning left into the Kheha Udon estate in Udon Thani in the north east of Thailand. 

After the two bikes on the extreme left of the road hit the tarmac, dash cam footage from a following car caught the driver changing his mind about entering the estate and speeding off by going straight on.

The video was featured on the Facebook page of Seksan Pengkenthao and later viewed on Youlike (clip det) half a million times.

Three people are still in hospital.

The incident happened on Wednesday at 7.50am near the Sam Phrao intersection.

Local police are aware of the incident and are investigating.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-17

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worst fear when driving around Thailand. Motorbikes come out of nowhere and speed around cars using side of the road to pass. Leaving the scene is not acceptable though. Have proper insurance and let the insurance company fight the case. 

Maybe the driver of the car sped off to get to the nearest police station and confess all? You know how getting a beating by the mob is an excuse used by some members of TV for doing a hit and run. Funny how they never go straight to the police station, mind. 

Bikers were too fast. The car had stopped already and the two bikes run onto it.  Otherwise, I do not understand why he tried to run away. If the case was recorded, he is innocent, if not , there should be thousands of witnesses who can help to find him

30 minutes ago, seahorse said:

In my opinion the two motorcyclists are at fault for travelling too fast and overtaking on the wrong side.

Agreed, but I do get very miffed at the non use of indicators here, would have avoided this if used properly, like in giving plenty of notice, not when the driver is half way round the corner as in many cases even when they are used.

37 minutes ago, seahorse said:

In my opinion the two motorcyclists are at fault for travelling too fast and overtaking on the wrong side.

this is not unexpected as  they say it is the law that motorcycles must ride on the left side of the road which is the most dangerous. To have motorcycles be required to ride in the other driver's blind spot all the time is just stupid!

38 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Dumbass scooter riders, <deleted> were they thinking overtaking up the inside ?

Probably because the law says they have to stay on that side. Blame stupid Thai laws regarding motorcycles for that. But besides I have been taught when I drive a car to check my mirrors before turning. 

18 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

this is not unexpected as  they say it is the law that motorcycles must ride on the left side of the road which is the most dangerous. To have motorcycles be required to ride in the other driver's blind spot all the time is just stupid!

Correct its that stupid law they have and the police love to catch motorcycles who don't obey that law..dammed if you do dammed if you dont. 

Just now, robblok said:

Correct its that stupid law they have and the police love to catch motorcycles who don't obey that law..dammed if you do dammed if you dont. 

not unless you call the police out on it and ask them to show you the law in the book, carry the book. They balk every time they know. Also make sure you ask for their ID first!

Just now, robblok said:

Probably because the law says they have to stay on that side. Blame stupid Thai laws regarding motorcycles for that. But besides I have been taught when I drive a car to check my mirrors before turning. 

I thought the law is they must stay in the left lane.

Just now, gr8fldanielle said:

not unless you call the police out on it and ask them to show you the law in the book, carry the book. They balk every time they know. Also make sure you ask for their ID first!

I did this.. had a translated copy of the road act.. and its there just a few sections further.. there is a lot to be debated about and in the end they will win or waste your time for hours.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

The Thai traffic law clearly states that motorbikes are not allowed on the hard shoulder of the road, where they were riding at high speed.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I did this.. had a translated copy of the road act.. and its there just a few sections further.. there is a lot to be debated about and in the end they will win or waste your time for hours.

do you have video? I always have video recording and they know it.

They don't waste your time for hours, they tell you to move one so they can extort money from someone that won't give an argument. Make sure it's only in English and not Thai.

Extortion is not legal, therefore you don't let them get away with it.

47 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

The Thai traffic law clearly states that motorbikes are not allowed on the hard shoulder of the road, where they were riding at high speed.

Can't see where they were driving before.. they could have moved to the left to avoid the car. Anyway the car should have checked.. because that is what you do when you turn left. The bikes went too fast. But this is a fine example of the restrictive laws for motorcycles. If they were allowed to be at the right of the road and any lane (if doing speed) these kind of accidents would not happen. 

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

What amazes me is that motorbikes will undertake even when you are clearly indicating you're turning say left. Same with the right turn.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That's because many cardrivers forget to turn on or off their indicators...Even when you have your indicators on for turning left they will wait for you because they assume you forgot to turn them off.....Yup, Thailand only krab...:blink:

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Can't see where they were driving before.. they could have moved to the left to avoid the car. Anyway the car should have checked.. because that is what you do when you turn left. The bikes went too fast. But this is a fine example of the restrictive laws for motorcycles. If they were allowed to be at the right of the road and any lane (if doing speed) these kind of accidents would not happen. 

Where they were before has nothing to do with this accident, at the time of the impact they were on the hard shoulder, where they are not allowed at any time.

If they moved to the hard shoulder at the last second means they were driving too fast or didn't pay attention to traffic ahead.

Motorbikes are by law required to keep in the left lane, but are of course allowed to pass slower vehicles from the right side as well as go to the right lane when have to make a right turn, they are not allowed to pass slower vehicles from the left side however.

10 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Where they were before has nothing to do with this accident, at the time of the impact they were on the hard shoulder, where they are not allowed at any time.

If they moved to the hard shoulder at the last second means they were driving too fast or didn't pay attention to traffic ahead.

Motorbikes are by law required to keep in the left lane, but are of course allowed to pass slower vehicles from the right side as well as go to the right lane when have to make a right turn, they are not allowed to pass slower vehicles from the left side however.

Please show me the Thai traffic law where it states they cant pass on the left side. Police told me something different. And I make a case that they were forced in the hard shoulder at the last moment because of the car.. it would be the place id go to avoid. Its not sure they were going to fast (looks this way) but the car was turning and that means people on the same road always have right of way and he has to look. 

Personally for my safety i say.. screw Thai traffic law and take any taffic fines that might result from it and I don't stay on the most left lane. Just for the reason that you see there.. its a death lane you get cut off all the time. 

Edited by robblok

I put most of the blame on the car driver, be it male or female, Farang or Thai.  We are in Thailand, we all know that motorcycles drive in the left lane and undertake.  The 4 bad things the driver did were: 
1, Dither, when driving you must make due progress.  Dithering is a no no.
2, No turn signal, you must let others know what you're going to do.
3, Observation before moving, the car had stopped, the driver should check that nothing is moving where he/she wants to move to.
4, Driving away from the scene of an accident.

I Know I don't do it the Thai way, but when I am making a left turn I often merge into the motorbike lane before the turn, forcing any motorbikes who are coming fast behind me to pass me on the right, and preventing what happened in the video. 

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Please show me the Thai traffic law where it states they cant pass on the left side. Police told me something different. And I make a case that they were forced in the hard shoulder at the last moment because of the car.. it would be the place id go to avoid. Its not sure they were going to fast (looks this way) but the car was turning and that means people on the same road always have right of way and he has to look. 

Personally for my safety i say.. screw Thai traffic law and take any taffic fines that might result from it and I don't stay on the most left lane. Just for the reason that you see there.. its a death lane you get cut off all the time. 

Exactly, and even if you take the right lane (on motorcycle) and stay there while there 's a checkpoint they won't do anything. Probably because they can't speak english. But for some reason i don't even see them at the checkpoint when on the fast lane, too busy concentrating on the road and holes and fallen coconuts/helmets/plastic bags and so.

The far left lane is a deathtrap, even big buses or concrete trucks refuse to drive there.

2 hours ago, seahorse said:

Overtaking on the wrong side- seriously!!!!!!

Do you actually live in Thailand? Do you not know that they have motorcycle lanes on the side of big roads, as in this video?

As for speed, that would be normal for most Thai m'bike riders, and the car driver did not indicate. If the bike riders are "guilty" of anything, it would be not driving defensively.