What Do All The Africans Do In Thailand?

jbsears

There are a bunch of Africans (not white South Africans) in BKK that are obviously not tourists. I never see them work. The Westerners are usually teachers or something of the like, but I can't seem to figure out what the Africans are doing here. Are they citizens like a lot of the Indians? Is there some kind of industry in Thailand which they work in? I'm just curious and none of my friends have a clue either, so I figured I'd see if any of you have a clue.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a bunch of Africans (not white South Africans) in BKK that are obviously not tourists. I never see them work. The Westerners are usually teachers or something of the like, but I can't seem to figure out what the Africans are doing here. Are they citizens like a lot of the Indians? Is there some kind of industry in Thailand which they work in? I'm just curious and none of my friends have a clue either, so I figured I'd see if any of you have a clue.

Perhaps just a coincidence but yesterday an African friend asked me the same questions about the whiteys :

"What do all these whiteys do in Thailand ?"

"They never seem to work. Do they have a job?"

"Where do they get the huge sums they need to pay their bar tabs?"

"How can they afford to drink 20 Singhas a day when, at the same time, they can't afford a bar of soap, some shampoo and a clean shirt ?"

But as I said before, it's just a coincidence.

Apart from the different trades already mentioned, many of them are refugees, some under the wings of the UN. Most of them are waiting here for a possibility for transit to a western country, or Japan, and are stuck here until a opportunity opens for them to go.

Bangkok is one of the world's centers of the new human migration between continents, a major capital of the underground railroad from poor and war torn countries to the rich west. What contributes is a completely corrupt immigration and police here, relatively low cost of living paired with excellent facilities of communication and transport.

Perhaps just a coincidence but yesterday an African friend asked me the same questions about the whiteys :

"How can they afford to drink 20 Singhas a day when, at the same time, they can't afford a bar of soap, some shampoo and a clean shirt ?"

thats an easy one,

most whities have a heap of money to spend so they dont need a reason to be here as its obvious what they are doing.

just having fun.

africans dont have a lot of money and generally are not classed as tourist's so they look sussed hanging around.

i think this is what the OP means and its a good question. :o

Import and sell semi-precious stones used in jewelleries, I think.

This seems to be the most common vocation for the Africans I've met. Usually rough, uncut stones to get them cut here in Thailand and then exported on elsewhere. Not sure how many do this with legitimate work permits though.

most whities have a heap of money to spend so they dont need a reason to be here as its obvious what they are doing.
africans dont have a lot of money and generally are not classed as tourist's so they look sussed hanging around.

What racist drivel :o

What racist drivel :o

LOL . . Gotta say, it's one of terry's classics.

No matter what they are doing, hats off to them for getting off their collective <deleted> and trying under their own steam to improve their surroundings. Wish I could say the same for the " happy Slappers" in my own country who could not place Thailand on a map, never mind having the gumption to get there to try to move on in life.

Edited by suiging

A (Thai Police) friend of mine tells me that there are 2 main groups of immigrants/tourists that the police raid again and again.

Groups within the Russian communities and groups within the Nigerian communities.

2 main reasons:

Drugs and (passport and internet) scams.

This of course is very sad for the decent people in those communities.

(Just as it is for the decent brits that had to read all the brit bashing).

rgds

Sailor

A (Thai Police) friend of mine tells me that there are 2 main groups of immigrants/tourists that the police raid again and again.

Groups within the Russian communities and groups within the Nigerian communities.

2 main reasons:

rgds

Sailor

thanks for that mate. :o

can you please tell bendix that my post was indeed classic and nothing racial intended. :D

strait up common sense actually. :D

2 main reasons:

rgds

Sailor

thanks for that mate. :o

can you please tell bendix that my post was indeed classic and nothing racial intended. :D

strait up common sense actually. :D

terry, you're not allowed to speak common sense any more, it's been outlawed.

if you make a negative observation against a non-white you are labelled a racist (only by sanctamonious whites though)

BAHAHAHA! That’s hysterical... LOL!

Heh, but anyway in my experiences, and I have had allot of them, as I frequented their clubs allot while in BKK, good music and nice for the rare occasions when I didn't wanna stand out. They do the same things that any other expats do. They run their businesses, export all kinds of things back to Africa, Enjoy a cheaper, higher quality of life than back home ect ect.. The only real differences I have noticed between them and say their white expat counter parts is that the Africans tend to be more entrepreneurial inclined. Tough to get a decent job in Thailand when your skin is the color of liquorish, not impossible mind you, but tougher, compound that with a "3rd world" passport and you pretty much SoL.