What Do All The Africans Do In Thailand?

jbsears

Perhaps this is a place to recommend a book I thought of recommending before when threads get into a racial discourse.

Jared Diamond: (1997) Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. New York: W.W. Norton & Co.. ISBN 0-393-31755-2.(In paperback this changed to 'a short history of everybody for the last 13000 years' ISBN 0099302780), and winner of a science book prize 1998.

There's also this, which I'd not come across before. I must find it.

Guns, Germs, and Steel Reader's Companion (2003), ISBN 1-58663-863-7.

There has been a trend to a branch of science on human history. I attended a good lectiure by the author a few years back in London.

Basic thesis? In my own words: Estate agents talk about 'location, location, location'. This book could be said to be about: 'geography, geography, geography'. People were in the right place at the right time. Not because of racial superiority. And so the course of human history, and today's issues.

His latest book is Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. New York: Viking. ISBN 0-670-03337-5.

He also wrote this, which will get some, no - many, of you going!!!

Why is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality (1997), ISBN 0-465-03127-7. I've not read it. I've read parts of 'The prehistory of sex: 4 million years of human sexual culture' by Timothy Taylor.

(Partly adapted from Wikipedia)

Off topic, so I'll shut up.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This means that all Nigerians are dealing coke? I met an Italian guy who got busted for dealing drugs, as well as several Scandanavians. All those darned Vikings - nothing better to do than sling hash! I also know another black American who got arrested fo dealing coke because he's black, not because he did it!

I don't doubt your story - I have met more than a few African dealers in BKK ... they really make themselves known! But, on the other hand, I have met the same number of evangelicals. A lot of them live near Pratunam as well, and seem to work there.

I expect that a higher percentage of Nigerians by nationality deal drugs than most other nationalities. On the other hand, this has nothing whatsoever to do with their bodies, and this is a stereotype. Most Nigerians don't deal drugs - most are in legitimate businesses (or are evangelicals. :o )

Twas just a thought. But correct me if I am wrong, most companies do not expect people to come up with bright ideas in an office environment that is 40C. Room temperature or below is standard. Honestly speaking, how creative are you in the sweltering heat. Most people are miserable and just want to figure out a way to cool down. Now then how creative are you when the weather is colder?

One would think, that if one was having to work in the sweltering heat that maybe one would be driven to invent air conditioning, just as if one is cold, one would be driven to invent central heating. Each different environment provides different problems, with different potential solutions. Neither living in temperate climes or the tropics precludes a group of people from being capable of invention. If you were talking about real extremes, such as desert or periglacial areas, then you might have a point. But that is not the case.