Best baguettes

Baguettes:

Tesco have French baguettes, much better then that so called baker. You have the loose ones baguette style & ones in a bag ( fresh great ) these ones labelled French Baguettes.

Big C have nice baguette style bread.

Tops ( don't go too early) have the same.

Turn right at Bophut lights, French bakery on your right.

French butchery on your right between Samui Town Centre & Ban Suai upholstery , on your right.

Chaweng lights, French bakery opposite near the Gold Shop & dentist.

Etc.... Etc.... 

Oh Lamai as you turn left at the Temple, on your right.

Posted after 3 beers 4 wines,:partytime2:

PS : Best is your taste. Not closer but available.

Edited by Rooo

24 minutes ago, Amusements said:

A couple of different people have told me, that the best baguettes are at the Bakery facing some traffic lights near Tesco Chewang  (La Fabrique French Bakery)

In my top 10 lol.

32 minutes ago, Amusements said:

A couple of different people have told me, that the best baguettes are at the Bakery facing some traffic lights near Tesco Chewang  (La Fabrique French Bakery)

I would agree but they are not particularly crusty (which I prefer). I have tried all but one of the other ones Roo mentioned and would say that Big C were pretty average but changed their baguettes earlier this year and now have the best crusty option IMO.

Someone told me that it's the humidity here that kills the crustiness. Don't know if it's true, but I have yet to find a nice crusty bread or baguette in Samui. 

Other than that, stick it in the oven for 5 mins prior to eating i suppose.

You have two options near Big Buddha itself. Coming from Bangrak after BB, on the right is a French deli just before the bend to Choengmon. Closed on Sundays if memory serves me.

Second option is after that bend and after Starbeach Cafe - again on the right (opp 7/11 Soi Tongsai) a french cafe. They get their French bagettes and other bakeries from Le Fabrique (I think).

Crusty Baguettes (this works on the frozen ones in Makro, providing you have a convection oven!)

- Remove Baguette from your freezer

- Run your hands under the cold tap then handle the baguette all over but without getting it too wet.

- Place it in a convection oven for 2-3 mins or until brown.

S_19075-MCO20164777491_092014-O.jpg

The result is crusty and tastes like it's just been baked :)

HTH

Edited by evadgib

On 11/19/2016 at 0:11 PM, Amusements said:

The owner is opening one shop in Bangrak, it will be open soon

11 hours ago, TheLobster said:

The baguette selection in Big C:

Baguette Selection Big C.jpg

As I worked as an area manager for one of the world's largest retail conglomerates, I still today have an interest to see what's on offer in those hypermarkets and how they are being managed. Have seen 60+ stores in South East Asia during my travels, and the best hypermarket bakeries I have found were at the CARREFOUR Bali Sunset Road (they still have Carrefour in Indonesia) and at the BIG C Supercenter Pattaya Klang.

Unsurprisingly, both stores employ Farang bakers (in the case of Bali it is a Frenchman married to a Sulawesi lady) and it shows

Edited by siam2007

On 11/25/2016 at 4:07 AM, siam2007 said:

As I worked as an area manager for one of the world's largest retail conglomerates, I still today have an interest to see what's on offer in those hypermarkets and how they are being managed. Have seen 60+ stores in South East Asia during my travels, and the best hypermarket bakeries I have found were at the CARREFOUR Bali Sunset Road (they still have Carrefour in Indonesia) and at the BIG C Supercenter Pattaya Klang.

Unsurprisingly, both stores employ Farang bakers (in the case of Bali it is a Frenchman married to a Sulawesi lady) and it shows

Although I like baguettes, I'm not prepared to travel to Indonesia or Pattaya to buy a baguette. Perhaps you didn't spot that this is a Samui forum :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 3:00 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I drove through Bangrak this morning and good news Phetphet.

La Fabrique is now open in Bangrak. Almost opposite the old Dreamers. Quite a few people having breakfast there this morning.

Thanks. I will try them..and Tesco's.  

I did buy one from the Fabrique near Tesco traffic lights, and also one from the French deli near Big Buddha. Both weren't very crusty.

I think it's the humidity here, and that I will need to put them in the oven for a little while in future as suggested here by others.