Thai hit and run woman gives herself up - pressure from society was just too much

rooster59

Thai hit and run woman gives herself up  - pressure from society was just too much

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQyMC8yMTAzNjUwL25ld3MxNC5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK:-- The Thai market trader who was caught on video hitting a five year old boy in her pick-up truck has given herself up to Nakorn Pathom police.

She said that the pressure from society was just too much to bear, so she has turned herself in.

Panatya Som-em, 49, said that she had got out of her vehicle following the accident on Sunday lunchtime. But she claimed the boy had refused her offer to take him to hospital despite being covered in blood.

She was shocked herself so she went home, sanook.com reported.

CCTV footage showed the five year old had dashed out into the roadfrom behind a parked car after going to buy some sweets with his brother. It was pouring with rain at the time.

Another man on the scene took the boy to hospital. The boy has recovered.

The father plans to take no action against the woman as she has said she will cover all costs. He graciously said that it was an accident.

But police have charged her in a criminal case. She is charged with negligent driving causing injury and the case will go to court for prosecution.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-19

Charged with "negligent driving causing injury"

Very difficult to avoid hitting the boy when he runs out from behind a parked car, plus she wasn't driving at high speed.

Charge her with leaving the scene of an accident (or whatever the local terminology is).

6 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Charge her with leaving the scene of an accident (or whatever the local terminology is).

Yes I agree that's about the only reasonable charge  given that the boy has recovered and she already covered all his costs

anything more just seems vindictive.

She said that the pressure from society was just too much to bear, so she has turned herself in.
Or it could be someone found out who she is,they knew she was market trader .She was shocked herself ,

so buggered off

regards worgeordie

I'm sorry you are the adult here, the boy was covered in blood, you use your common sense and take him to hospital, no matter he said. Face it, you were trying to get away with it. Yes the boy was careless, you should have done.  She should have her licence taken off her.

leaving the scene probably not ok, but more than understandable knowing what can happen in Thailand.

Covering the costs for the boy? No reason.

It was his (and his parent's) fault for not taking care of him - they should cover the costs for the damage of her car 

and the father "graciously" ....  Screwed idiot.  Of cause it was an accident, caused by him and his son. He should apologize with a wai to her. 

While this is my opinion I am happy that the boy recovered. The accident was caused by him - but he is not guilty.

Edited by sweatalot

"charged with negligent driving causing injury" is exactly why many people in this country hit-and-run instead of stopping and doing the responsible thing.

How many lives are lost because people flee the scene of an accident, rather than face charges for an accident that was not their fault.?

Just another example of how Thai law doesn't work!

Another example of always blaming someone els when something happened.

When things should be normal and the quilty part would take the responsablility and the blame for what they did .no one need to flee the scene.

All would be treated equal and fair justice would apply.

It's ok in Thailand to take responsibility for driving a two-ton motor vehicle,truck car etc.like a maniac but they can't take responsibility for causing an accident and run away like cowards,the minivan drivers are the most disgusting exponents of this disgraceful behaviour.
Why does this awful woman need peer pressure just to get her to do the right thing and own up to her crime,leaving the scene of an accident made much.much worse by the fact it was a minor involved?Had she taken the boy to hospital in the first place which was the right thing to do nobody would be asking her to pay the bill for his hospital fees would they?

7 hours ago, kkerry said:

Very difficult to avoid hitting the boy when he runs out from behind a parked car, plus she wasn't driving at high speed.

I agree about the charge. I think she should have called an ambulance and tended to the boy until one arrived, or as it turned out, until the he agreed to let the guy take him to hospital.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He graciously said that it was an accident.

it was, he is right .... even graciously or another way

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

I agree about the charge. I think she should have called an ambulance and tended to the boy until one arrived, or as it turned out, until the he agreed to let the guy take him to hospital.

quite true, but the stress, shock .... who knows what has resulted in her....

Moreover, in the first article witnesses agreed in that the woman talked to the boy. Why to the boy and not to his father?  It is a good question. Why did she not call the ambulance ? it is another issue.

BUT, those who saw the vid cannot agree with this

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But police have charged her in a criminal case. She is charged with negligent driving causing injury and the case will go to court for prosecution.

Why was she negligent? Just because she drove on that street?

I cannot accept what she did but understand somehow....

Edited by Honthy

9 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

What's...pressure from society, or anybody for that matter? 

Never heard of or experienced such. 

If I am pressured, I'll do the opposite then say that I was confused by the pressure. 

More like she has to explain to hubby what she was doing there  :hit-the-fan:

Who knows, she might had had a drink. At least she did stop. If someone volunteered to take the kid to hospital then that is okay, but she should have waited for the BiB. She should only be charged with leaving the scene, nothing else.

The best thing is the kid will be okay, and hopefully leaned a lesson the hard way. If she has paid the medical bills, all the better.

The police should still be looking for a rich kid that killed policemen in a Ferrari. It might improve their reputation???

:thumbsup:

A "commoner" will go to court when CCTV  clearly shows the boy ran out in front of her. The boy was not accompanied by an adult.

Yet a HiSo will never see a court when an accident is clearly their fault. 

Shouldn't the parents / guardian of the boy be prosecuted ? 5 year olds cannot be allowed to roam the streets unaccompanied, for the very reason what happened.

I'm damn sure the father of the boy will let the case rest after accident costs are awarded to him.

On 11/19/2016 at 1:37 PM, kkerry said:

Pity for her that her dad is not a Bangkok Ferrari dealer !