Phuket police ramp up heavy vehicle safety ban for Patong Hill

rooster59

Phuket police ramp up heavy vehicle safety ban for Patong Hill

Yutthawat Lekmak

1479548973_1-org.jpg

The officers in Kathu are using a simple weighing device installed in a speed bump that vehicles must drive over in order to pass through the checkpoint. Photo: Kathu Traffic Police

PHUKET: Police in Kathu have relaunched a campaign to check the weight of heavy vehicles about to climb over Patong Hill from Kathu.

Officers began checking motorists – and fining traffic law violators – at the Kathu Police Checkpoint yesterday (Nov 18). (See story here.)

However, they are now checking heavy vehicles to make sure the drivers are not about to break the ban on trucks and buses climbing over Patong Hill in the restricted hours, Sen Seg Maj Tanongsak Churung of Kathu Police told The Phuket News today (Nov 19).

The officers in Kathu are using a simple weighing device installed in a speed bump that vehicles must drive over in order to pass through the checkpoint, Sen Seg Maj Tanongsak explained.

“We do not have the same capability as the weigh station in Tha Noon, before heavy vehicles come onto the island, but we can make sure only the appropriate vehicles are climbing Patong Hill during the restricted hours,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-ramp-up-heavy-vehicle-safety-ban-for-patong-hill-59918.php#YgzqGg9ZDUUGjhKZ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-20

15 minutes ago, d123 said:

From the photograph it would appear that this checkpoint is assessing vehicles after they've gone over the hill.

Yes, that's what I thought .... this photo shows traffic after the hill just before the Esso petrol station/traffic lights ...well done BiBs ...

40 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes, that's what I thought .... this photo shows traffic after the hill just before the Esso petrol station/traffic lights ...well done BiBs ...

I guess you are writing about the Caltex...

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The officers in Kathu are using a simple weighing device installed in a speed bump that vehicles must drive over in order to pass through the checkpoint, Sen Seg Maj Tanongsak explained.

And no power cables needed. It's just working on a 9V battery....:drunk:

Coast road was blocked the other day by an 18 wheeler that failed to negotiate one of the Laem Singh bends. They've been unloading them by the soccer pitch in Kamala onto smaller vehicles- I guess logic doesn't suggest that they re-load before the coast road!

1 hour ago, FredNL said:

And no power cables needed. It's just working on a 9V battery....:drunk:

Quite correct - I see no cables at all. Looks like it's just mobile speed bump. I'll need to have a closer look next week when I pass by. And as already stated it's on the wrong side of the road for traffic going up the hill.  Something not right here ...

15 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Quite correct - I see no cables at all. Looks like it's just mobile speed bump. I'll need to have a closer look next week when I pass by. And as already stated it's on the wrong side of the road for traffic going up the hill.  Something not right here ...

Don't waste your time the show might be over already. Drove there yesterday and today and there was absolutely nothing. No weighing device, no cops and no speed bump.

2 minutes ago, schlog said:

Don't waste your time the show might be over already. Drove there yesterday and today and there was absolutely nothing. No weighing device, no cops and no speed bump.

So ... just another useless publity stunt to make the BiB look like they are doing something useful ....