True fiber too slow

nellyp

I need something to say to the guy on the phone from True to convince him to do something about my internet. If I run a speed test it says 30Mb/s (ish), but sites and pages take ages to load. My wife has ais  data plan that is much faster loading pages. They just keep telling me the speed is what the package states (via test), and that they are having issues with the international server. But my internet is crap no matter what server I connect to. How can I convice true customer support that my internet needs to be looked at?

...but you just connected to True's Bangkok speedtest site and reported a connection of 30Mb/s (ish).  That usually says your connection to the NOC is working fine.

You might want to check what DNS your router is delivering to your connecting devices. A poor DNS can severely degrade page rendering if that server takes ages to respond to queries.

I used to pair a Provider DNS with a google open DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4).  I'll also periodically run GRC's DNS Benchmark windows software to test how local DNS servers are doing and sometimes put a faster server in the Primary position to help speed up query/conversion times.

...and/or get a cup of coffee and read one of the several *long* VPN threads here.

Readers Digest version:  Using a VPN via Singapore can greatly speed up downloads from overseas.  Most discussed in the threads are downloads from UK and USA.

Probably due to the utterly crap fibre cable modem True provide - so badly gimped you can't even alter their default DNS servers which are very probably the root cause of the hopeless web site loading delays.

I confirmed this personally by turnong on and off my vpn service on an ipad or my laptop - difference is as huge as can be imagined.

Rather than go through the hassle of switching to ais fibre - for now, have bought an Asus Wireless router which like most asus routers has built in VPN client capability ( this is what you want.... not vpn server on your router).

The wireless on the True router is turned off ( poor anyway ) and all wifi connections go through the Asus -  as a result as many laptops, ipads, phones etc etc can go through that ONE vpn connection  on the router.

Problem solved.

Note, if you're going to,pay up for a vpn provider like hide.me as i do - then you'll get up to 5 devices covered anyway, which is useful for security when out and about and connecting to 'free' wifi networks, enable your vpn service ob the phone etc and you can bank, surf safely etc.

Edited by coops

1 hour ago, coops said:

Note, if you're going to,pay up for a vpn provider like hide.me as i do - then you'll get up to 5 devices covered anyway, which is useful for security when out and about and connecting to 'free' wifi networks, enable your vpn service ob the phone etc and you can bank, surf safely etc.

A very valid point not mentioned much here on the VPN discussions.

12 hours ago, wpcoe said:

...and/or get a cup of coffee and read one of the several *long* VPN threads here.

Readers Digest version:  Using a VPN via Singapore can greatly speed up downloads from overseas.  Most discussed in the threads are downloads from UK and USA.

I use a very basic VPN service (and only really use it for watching rugby) called Hoxx. I can route through singapore on that but it only allows me limited use so it would be useless long term. is it possible for me to manually change the DNS on the outer or should (can) I ask true to sort it out?

This is my speed test done today

The first one on here was done a few minutes after the speedtest.net one

My old house had the same package 30Mb (but no fiber to the box) and I could easily watch live TV from the UK.

Something I find strange is that if i download a torrent, it downloads at 4kb/s for ages then suddenly speeds up much later

speedtest 2.png

speedtest 1.png

6 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I use True Fiber and it is just horrible. It is unstable and most of the time you can't stream TV channels. That is what you would expect from 32 Mb/s that they promise

True Internet.png

Just to show you that it is possible to get the advertised speeds.

This on my home wi-fi using the True supplied ZTE. 

A few posters before have mentioned cabling as a problem, so if you are using an old CAT 5 cable then maybe try a CAT 5e or CAT 6 cable and see if that makes a difference.

Also, if you are testing on a desktop then try on a smartphone or vice versa.

STS.PNG

1 hour ago, nellyp said:

This is my speed test done today

The first one on here was done a few minutes after the speedtest.net one

My old house had the same package 30Mb (but no fiber to the box) and I could easily watch live TV from the UK.

Something I find strange is that if i download a torrent, it downloads at 4kb/s for ages then suddenly speeds up much later

Whenever I get torrents that are slow despite there being a reasonable amount of seeds, I switch to a USA VPN. The speed will usually skyrocket within a minute.

Will a free VPN do it? I used to use Zenmate that seemed Ok until I couldn't use it for the UK. It would be OK for Singapore though. I could then switch back to Hoxx for the rugby.

Even if I do that, should I get true to come out and look at my system? There wasn't a computer in the house when they set it up

Try a free vpn ( hie.me do a free one, limited total data usage  but good to test) and see the difference,

If it's still borked then something else major is wrong - but as you have already done a local speed test showing the actual cable is capable of doing just fine.... then the actual reason for lousy web loading is due to the True system and their dns servers... and they won't do anything about that unless presumably everyone leaces them and uses ais instead.... even then they'd probably just stumble on anyway.

By all means complain to True... but i'd be amazed if it does any good.

On 11/21/2016 at 11:33 PM, nellyp said:

Is it possible for me to manually change the DNS on the outer or should (can) I ask true to sort it out?

As a quick test you should be able to set your computer's Internet connection to manually defined DNS.

Download GRC's DNS Benchmark and let it test your connection to a variety of Domain Name Servers, see which report as the quickest and most reliable. Then you can configure your computer's Internet connection to use manually defined DNS and place the two quickest and reliable DNS entries into the Primary and Secondary fields.  See if there's a difference while surfing the 'net.

Another alternative to manually setting/editing your computer's Internet connection would be to install a DNS switcher for your PC.

5 Utilities for Changing DNS Servers in Windows Reviewed

If using alternative DNS entries helps your connection then you may want to explore editing the entries on your main router so all connected devices can benefit (or as others have written, adding a second more configurable WiFi Router and making the changes there).

According to the check, there are 28 DNS names that run faster than the 2 on my system. The thing is my DNS is coming back as being in Manchester. I though that may be because I installed Hide me, but I can't even find that now. My head is going to explode lol

I just ran the test again with Zenmate set to USA and my DNS now shows up with 6 DNS addresses (one from Germany). The I.P is USA

There is something titled

Your IP addresses - WebRTC detection

and that still shows a Thai IP.

I ran the DNS benchmark again with Zenmate set to USA and it still says this  "System nameservers are SLOWER than 28 public alternatives!"  I take it that the server is not effecting this so I need to alter the DNS manually on my desktop as I have no option on the router. Is that correct? If so, how do i know which DNS to choose? Should I just pick one off the list and how do I know which are being used now?

Apparently I am suffering DNS leaks, and that doesn't sopund very healthy BANG....it finally blew off. Pardon me while I pick up my brain 555

While I find a VPN can really speed up a slow torrent, for everyday web surfing I don't find it necessary to use one.

Pics are my Speedtests with a USA vpn, a Singapore vpn & no vpn.

For DNS servers, Google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 seem to be the popular alternative these days. 

I'm on True 30/3 and their supplied ZTE router allows me to change DNS settings.

ST VPN.png

ST VPN SG.png

ST VPN NIL.png

2 hours ago, nellyp said:

I just ran the test again with Zenmate set to USA and my DNS now shows up with 6 DNS addresses (one from Germany). The I.P is USA

There is something titled

Your IP addresses - WebRTC detection

and that still shows a Thai IP.

I ran the DNS benchmark again with Zenmate set to USA and it still says this  "System nameservers are SLOWER than 28 public alternatives!"  I take it that the server is not effecting this so I need to alter the DNS manually on my desktop as I have no option on the router. Is that correct? If so, how do i know which DNS to choose? Should I just pick one off the list and how do I know which are being used now?

Apparently I am suffering DNS leaks, and that doesn't sopund very healthy BANG....it finally blew off. Pardon me while I pick up my brain 555

WebRTC is something usually added as a benefit to your Web Browser that allows HTML5, Java, or other plugins to communicate from behind firewalls. The downside is that this same WebRTC 'feature' can 'leak' or tattle your actual provider IP when using a VPN, allowing websites to determine your 'hidden' connection info. WebRTC has been discussed here on ThaiVisa in the past year and I'll refer you to search for those threads as this is not germain to your current topic.

So back on topic...  

If you have no VPN enabled then your system should report that it is routing Internet requests via your True provided IP address, through the True provided Gateway, and using True provided DNS to resolve URL names to IP addresses -- unless you've manually changed your computers settings or used a utility to alter this.

If you're playing around with various VPN or other 'relocate me' services then the general defaults your computer uses may have been altered resulting in your now slow speeds.

I'd suggest you check any VPN software you're using and make sure the options are temporarily turned off, and then open your Internet Connection and verify that you are using True-provided DNS in the connection setup ...delivered either via DHCP from the
Router (along with IP, Subnet and Gateway info), or this info is being manually configured via managed software.

So on a Windows machine look for Internet Connection, Status, Network Connection, Details ...IPv4 DNS Servers

TRUE DNS servers are generally:

Primary Domain Name Server         203.144.206.29
Secondary Domain Name Server    203.144.206.49

Primary Domain Name Server         203.144.207.29
Secondary Domain Name Server    203.144.207.49

Caveat:: Some TRUE users report they must also configure proxy.trueinternet.co.th (or proxy.asianet.co.th) using port 8080 to reach some web services, but doing this breaks VPN services. Hopefully you don't have to go this route.

Thanks Richcor. I am in work now, but I will check my DNS when I get home. I assume all this will have to be checked from home as we use TOT in work (which is great)

Is there a way to turn the WebRTC off when I am using the VPN to atch UK TV (iplayer) or downloading torrents? I would be interested to know how I ended up with it.

Your torrent program, as an isolated application, should be fine while utilizing a VPN connection. As WebRTC (software solution/plugin) is built into many web browsers and can't always be disabled reliably. You'd be better off, while having a VPN enabled, using an alternate browser that doesn't have WebRTC built-in. Otherwise you can try reading articles like this that describe: How to disable WebRTC in various browsers

If you're looking for more discussion on VPN and geo-locked content, 

despite use of VPN my IP address is recognized
Started by THAIPHUKET, May 2

How to get BBC Radio 5 live football etc as VPN now not working
Started by R123, March 11

21 hours ago, RichCor said:

WebRTC is something usually added as a benefit to your Web Browser that allows HTML5, Java, or other plugins to communicate from behind firewalls. The downside is that this same WebRTC 'feature' can 'leak' or tattle your actual provider IP when using a VPN, allowing websites to determine your 'hidden' connection info. WebRTC has been discussed here on ThaiVisa in the past year and I'll refer you to search for those threads as this is not germain to your current topic.

So back on topic...  

If you have no VPN enabled then your system should report that it is routing Internet requests via your True provided IP address, through the True provided Gateway, and using True provided DNS to resolve URL names to IP addresses -- unless you've manually changed your computers settings or used a utility to alter this.

If you're playing around with various VPN or other 'relocate me' services then the general defaults your computer uses may have been altered resulting in your now slow speeds.

I'd suggest you check any VPN software you're using and make sure the options are temporarily turned off, and then open your Internet Connection and verify that you are using True-provided DNS in the connection setup ...delivered either via DHCP from the
Router (along with IP, Subnet and Gateway info), or this info is being manually configured via managed software.

So on a Windows machine look for Internet Connection, Status, Network Connection, Details ...IPv4 DNS Servers

TRUE DNS servers are generally:

Primary Domain Name Server         203.144.206.29
Secondary Domain Name Server    203.144.206.49

Primary Domain Name Server         203.144.207.29
Secondary Domain Name Server    203.144.207.49

Caveat:: Some TRUE users report they must also configure proxy.trueinternet.co.th (or proxy.asianet.co.th) using port 8080 to reach some web services, but doing this breaks VPN services. Hopefully you don't have to go this route.

I have checked the DNS and they are

194---187---251---67    and

185--- 93 --- 180---131

I have no VPNs running but this is miles away from True. It actually looks like Belgium

Really confusing

I have attached a screen shot from my computer DNS.png

The IP addresses you provided are assigned to locations in Manchester UNITED KINGDOM and Frankfurt Am Main Hesse GERMANY,

belonging to CyberGhostVPN.com

The "Brussels' you saw is their name for one of their DNS Servers, and not an actual location.

So something has manually set your computer's DNS to use those servers.  Suggest you go back to that IPv4 dialog and select "Obtain DNS server automatically", then restart your computer and see what DNS your computer reports being received (in the details dialog) when your routers DHCP service delivers it an IP, subnet, gateway connection info. 

Unfortunately the screenshot is a bit blurry and not all taskbar symbols visible.

Cyberghost has an option to start/connect automatically.

Are you certain that it is not running?

Right click in a free area of the taskbar and select TaskManager.

Check for Cyberghost.

14 hours ago, RichCor said:

The IP addresses you provided are assigned to locations in Manchester UNITED KINGDOM and Frankfurt Am Main Hesse GERMANY,

belonging to CyberGhostVPN.com

The "Brussels' you saw is their name for one of their DNS Servers, and not an actual location.

So something has manually set your computer's DNS to use those servers.  Suggest you go back to that IPv4 dialog and select "Obtain DNS server automatically", then restart your computer and see what DNS your computer reports being received (in the details dialog) when your routers DHCP service delivers it an IP, subnet, gateway connection info. 

Unbelievable. I used to haVE CYBER GHOST INSTALLED but I uninstalled it before. I will let the compter select the DNS automatically and see how that goes

When I chose  Obtain DNS server automatically  the system doesn't let me leave it. as it says the  adapter needs at least one ip address. Should I just reboot anyway? I am at home on True now, so can I inputt the IP addresses you gave and use them

Here are the speed tests the fast one is Bangkok the slow on Singapore

I find this unbelievable. I was getting faster speeds to start with. What should I do now? Should I use a n IP and DNS I input myself? If so any ideas which I should use? Could somebody let me know what they are using so I can test those and compare the speeds?  Nightmare

speed test with true.PNGsingapore server.PNG