True fiber too slow

nellyp

OP,

Don't expect any magic speed increase just because you change DNSs.   When you use a program like DNSBench you will notice any DNS service with DNS servers in the region do their DNS resolving job fast...in just a few milliseconds.   What I've found is the biggest difference among DNSs is their ability to resolve a site you want to surf to....not being able to make access to that site any significantly faster.

I've been on True DOCSIS/cable and I'm not on AIS Fibre...personally I used google DNS 8.8.8.8 (or 8.8.4.4) as my primary DNS and OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 as my secondary....that way if one DNS is down it default to the other.   When on True I found no increase in speed whether using their default True DNS....or Google DNS...or OpenDNS....the only difference was sometimes if using True DNS I couldn't reach certain foreign sites....but could reach them with Google DNS or OpenDNS.

Using Speedtest.net what speed do you get to Singapore, Los Angeles and London?   When I was on True DOCSIS 15 down/1.5Mb up  I could get 15Mb to Singapore, and usually around 10Mb to Los Angeles.   I never really tested to London as I didn't use sites in that part of the world but speed to the UK can be tough with True and even AIS....just something that bogs things down going to the UK.   I have frequently found a person can get much better speed to most any test site on mainland Europe but when going across the English channel things slow down....and it can vary greatly during the daily 24 hour period from really slow to quite acceptable.   I was on True for 5 years...there international speed is not that good....and that is not to imply other Thai ISPs have speedy international speeds.

Ideally, if you have a computer that gets moved around on different WiFi networks then you should leave the connection options set on "automatic" or "Default" so the computer has a better chance of actually working on the chosen network.

Using a distant or slow responding DNS Server as your primary default will only slow down the initial required url -> IP number resolve portion when starting an internet connection using url names  ...and there are instances where hacked DNS IP addresses can create man-in-the-middle situations that misdirect your connection to fake connections, so best to verify that you are using either original Internet Provider supplied DNS settings or DNS IP addresses you have verified to be correct.

The DNS IP addresses your browser window displays as being in use (119.46.241.1, 203.144.207.45, 203.144.193.117) list as being assigned to TrueInternet, but are not listed anywhere as being authenticated DNS resolver addresses provided by True, but are listed as assigned to True as static 'residential' IP addresses.

While it's possible they are undocumented DNS addresses being supplied to your True Router, it's also possible someone has hacked your router and manually configured those addressed to redirect all your DNS queries to IP addresses they control. Many Internet Provider router's are deployed using a single known Router Setup password and someone knowing this can edit your router's setup page to redirect all your DNS queries by manually editing the DNS settings on the router.

So I'd be very leary of using the ones your browser is reporting, even though they are automatically delivered from your True-provided router via DHCP.

Your Computer's Internet Connection should also have an option for displaying connection DETAILS, showing your currently supplied IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS in use. Find that and confirm your browser display. Verify what information it displays against what's being reported by the websites you're using.

As for the speed tests...

Many speed tests sites are not reliable, and you can't really use one website speed test compared to another.  

While OOKLA Speedtest.net can be used to test your local connection utilizing your own Internet Provider's speedtest server,  it gives unreasonable test results when using the web interface to test speeds to other site locations.

Some people here on ThaiVisa only rely on these standard bearers to test connections to other counties of interest:

http://testmy.net/mirror

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I'd highly recommend you find out how to connect to your True Router's ADMIN SETUP PAGE and see how it is configured for DNS (as the DNS your computer is being supplied by the router's DHCP seem dodgy to me).  It may be getting the DNS suggestions from TRUE when it receives your WAN IP and Gateway address, or it may have been manually entered and those entries are getting past along to any devices via DHCP. 

In the mean time you can manually enter into your computer's IPv4 DNS entry the TRUE INTERNET website support suggested Primary and Secondary pair of DNS IP Addresses (supplied in my previous message). At least then the computer will be using authentic True supplied DNS server to give you known proper domain name to IP query results.

And test your connection using the dslreports and testmy.net speed tests and see how you get on.  And please note that time of day will make a difference on speedtest results to other nations ...when there is a lot of contention for overseas content the speeds will take a back seat to all the locals streaming their favorite cat videos when they get home from school or off work.

Edited by RichCor