Landlord refusing to do repairs

17 minutes ago, Oxx said:

As I wrote in response to a previous post by someone else:  "I can only presume (a) that you are incapable of reading Thai, (b) you've never had anyone explain to you the details of a rental contracts here".

If you believe I'm wrong, please post a copy  of standard domestic rental contract, in Thai, which states otherwise, pointing out the relevant clause.

You're not in Kansas any more, Toto.

You have no idea have you we have 6 properties we rent out, please don't presume to tell me what is in our contracts with our Tennants,  So Toto trot on and have a nice day. PS never been to Kansas thank god. Did hear two things come out of Kansas Steers and Queers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

You have no idea have you we have 6 properties we rent out, please don't presume to tell me what is in our contracts with our Tennants,  So Toto trot on and have a nice day. PS never been to Kansas thank god. Did hear two things come out of Kansas Steers and Queers.

So, I'm glad that the contracts you use are so indulgent to tenants.  They're not in line with standard Thai contracts, though.

Enough with the homophobic abuse, though.  Such bigotry is never nice.

BTW, you never responded to my presumption that you are incapable of reading Thai.  Am I right?

The fact is it depends on the contract. The contracts we use state we are responsible for repairs, not the tenant.

That doesn't make our contract right and someone else's wrong though.

Contracts are what they are. The most important thing is everyone is happy at the end of the day.

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

So, I'm glad that the contracts you use are so indulgent to tenants.  They're not in line with standard Thai contracts, though.

Enough with the homophobic abuse, though.  Such bigotry is never nice.

BTW, you never responded to my presumption that you are incapable of reading Thai.  Am I right?

Sorry toto can read write and speak thai very well. no homophobic abuse from here just passing on a statement I heard from a Yank personaly I don't mind either steers or Queers. Our contract does not indulge tennants as you say but protects them and us from any disputes down the line. One shoe does not fit all you may like to rember that Toto. We know several landlords Thai  and farang non use this standard contract you speak of.

More than likely you will be fighting over the damage deposit and or security deposit....so you better make like you are poor and penniless 2 months before moving out and make no rental payments and then up and leave ...and no forwarding address or known whereabouts.

Cheers  

I have the best of both worlds I have lived here for more than 5 years in the rental condo I have I pay my rent on time every month If there is something

wrong the landlord always has me fix it and deduct in from the rent .

In the more than 5 years I have lived here I have never had a phone call from my landlord

Pay on time live my life Good deal 

58 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I have the best of both worlds I have lived here for more than 5 years in the rental condo I have I pay my rent on time every month If there is something

wrong the landlord always has me fix it and deduct in from the rent .

In the more than 5 years I have lived here I have never had a phone call from my landlord

Pay on time live my life Good deal 

Which is the way it should work

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I would imagine the problem you describe would be a condo management issue, have you taken it to them. 

Check the wording of your lease, sometimes the tenant is responsible for repairs. 

He said it was a house!

14 hours ago, Steiner said:

What about your agent?  (please tell me you didn't rent directly from the owner!) 

Your best way forward is to get a price for the work to stop the leak. 

Then inform the landlord that this is the cost to repair it,  and to help him out ;-)  you will have it repaired at this price and deduct it from the rent. 

Can't see him objecting to that. 

If he does you've got a bad un. 

Whats wrong with renting from the property owner, i prefer to and have never had a problem with maintenance and repairs, and you usually get a better price because the owner does not have to pay the real estate agents sometimes exorbitant fees and charges

There are rip of agents and owners in my experience, you just need to ask the rite questions before you commit yourself to anything 

21 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Whats wrong with renting from the property owner, i prefer to and have never had a problem with maintenance and repairs, and you usually get a better price because the owner does not have to pay the real estate agents sometimes exorbitant fees and charges

There are rip of agents and owners in my experience, you just need to ask the rite questions before you commit yourself to anything 

I totaly agree go into a viewing with pen and paper. write questions down before viewing so you don't forget. try and write the answers from the landlord down. never be rushed to looking around take your time if the landlord is pushing you to hurry walk away to me that says there's something wrong. once viewing is completed go to a cafe or somewhere with landlord ask him more questions. if you need ask landlord for a second viewing. Don't rush into signing anything untill you have read the whole contract twice at least. then negotiate anything you are unhappy with or not sure about. Remember the Landlord will be checking you out as a prospective Tennant at the same time so it's your chance to impress as well. The last time we let a property the Tennant looked at it 3 times asked questions asked to see our own house which was fine he needed to know we were genuine and was what we said. In the end he was happy and signed to be our Tennant and we was happy as we knew we had a good Tennant. 

Edited by Deepinthailand

On 22 November 2016 at 8:19 AM, madmax2 said:

Since when is it the tenants responsibility , only applies to a commercial property in some countries when written into a lease agreement but not to a private house in my experience, and i 

do have experience in commercial and private property

renting and leasing in Australia

TIT and its perfectly legal anywhere even for residental to put in lease tenant pays all repairs your comment is typical forang i know better BS 

2 hours ago, icare999 said:

TIT and its perfectly legal anywhere even for residental to put in lease tenant pays all repairs your comment is typical forang i know better BS 

Best of luck in getting tenants, you are going to need it

You can put just about anything into a legally drawn up agreement,you just have to find a mug to sign it which are few and far between

15 hours ago, snowgard said:

Next time maybe use this contract: http://slice-of-thai.com/rental/rental_contract.pdf

Excellent contract fair to both tenant and landlord and i have copied it for future use

Certainly would not be used by some landlords in Thailand thats for sure, i am talking about the conman type, not the honest ones who beleive in a fair deal

7 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Excellent contract fair to both tenant and landlord and i have copied it for future use

Certainly would not be used by some landlords in Thailand thats for sure, i am talking about the conman type, not the honest ones who beleive in a fair deal

Why do you think that any landlord, in Thailand or elsewhere in the world, would even consider using a contract that the renter provides?

The real issue with a contract is what happens when non-performance occurs.

You can sign a very reasonable rental contract, but if the property owner unreasonably withholds your deposit then your final remedy is to go to Court.

That can be a long, expensive and drawn out affair here.

47 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Why do you think that any landlord, in Thailand or elsewhere in the world, would even consider using a contract that the renter provides?

What make you think its a contract supplied by the renter

Its obviously a contract supplied by the owner/landlord

I suggest you read it again , conditions are agreed on between the landlord and tenant and its the landlord who sets the conditions of contract not the tenant

20 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The real issue with a contract is what happens when non-performance occurs.

You can sign a very reasonable rental contract, but if the property owner unreasonably withholds your deposit then your final remedy is to go to Court.

That can be a long, expensive and drawn out affair here.

A landlord who cheats his tenant and i have met a few who try to makes a very bad mistake in doing so in my opinion, after all this is Thailand where some people think they can get away with things they would not even try in other countries

And what decent landlord or tenant try to cheat each other, none in my opinion

Any tenant can get even with a cheating landlord if they want to, really not hard to do

On 11/22/2016 at 8:02 AM, meatboy said:

looks like you got a pig in a pork. as you [did you] sign a contract then all you can hope for is some sort of an agreement between the two of you.if that can be unsolved and he has no money get in touch with a [dont want to say who i meen] about what would happen if i refuse to pay the rent, or get out.

you do need to record all the work you have done and the cost.

as this is thailand myself i would cut my losses and leave peacefully. if you havent got a contract.

Have a very basic standard lease contract. Doesn't go into the nitty gritty of who's liable for what which is probably stupid on their side of things. I'm sure there is some basic laws concerning rental agreements

On 11/22/2016 at 8:02 AM, Peterw42 said:

I would imagine the problem you describe would be a condo management issue, have you taken it to them. 

Check the wording of your lease, sometimes the tenant is responsible for repairs. 

Its a rental home, not a Condo thanks

On 11/22/2016 at 2:48 PM, DGS1244 said:

Unfortunately it is not a condo, it is a house?? I rent a house and carry out most repairs, I then deduct, with the owners consent, the cost from the rent. Suggest you do the same, carry out a repair then deduct cost of same from rent. A no brainer if you ask me.

Ive already done tons of stuff myself. Even when one of the internal water pipes broke I footed the bill for two water bills 1300 baht (normally 200). After they left I noticed they had taken 2 of my planters with herbs. They're just greedy horrible people. The day we arrived here, after prior agreeing to rental price and lease term with the owner, we have a furniture truck out the front ready to move in. The owners wife steps in, says her husband was stupid agreeing to such low rent and she wanted 35% more...and was shortening the lease term from 2 years to 6 months. Luckily my missus patiently talked it through and the husband agreed to stick to his promise. The house hadn't been cleaned nor any of the agreed issues been sorted (broken taps, pump running continuously etc). A few months ago the owners wife turned up with a ferang and wife to inspect the house to buy. Just walked in, no notice etc. They were about to go upstairs until I told the missus to run them off. The owners wife told my wife she could do what she wanted, she's the owner. It seemed clear to be me if we weren't home she would have just let herself in. Thats what were dealing with

On 11/22/2016 at 3:24 PM, DSJPC said:

have u considered stopping to pay your rent???...that's about the only option u have IMHO...

They have 2 months deposit, and I know there is no chance we will ever see that again. If I do stop paying rent can they call the police and move us out or something? I do want to just stop paying the last 2 months were here or like I said there is no way we will get our deposit back. The house by the way is in 300% better shape than when we moved in

On 11/22/2016 at 5:18 PM, csabo said:

And fill the toilet tanks with frozen fish before leaving

My mates favourite is a garbage bag with some fish and faeces....sealed tight and hung in the rafters. After around 1-2 weeks the bag explodes.....impossible to ever get the smell out he says

On 11/22/2016 at 6:00 PM, Steiner said:

What about your agent?  (please tell me you didn't rent directly from the owner!) 

Your best way forward is to get a price for the work to stop the leak. 

Then inform the landlord that this is the cost to repair it,  and to help him out ;-)  you will have it repaired at this price and deduct it from the rent. 

Can't see him objecting to that. 

If he does you've got a bad un. 

We did go through an agent which I wouldn't do again. I mean she's ok but at the end of the day she's working for the owner...and in any case I think they get their months rent commission up front and thats it. She pays us lip service etc but I don't really think its her problem. I wouldn't use an agent again. By the way, not like we've been nuisances. In a year called twice. Once for a major flooding pipe leaking into the yard and under the foundations, which was here from the start and got worse (pump running all the time) and this instance 

Just pack up and leave you won't get your deposit back anyway. as for walking in with potential buyers they have the right but must give you written notice of at least two weeks to inform you and to make a convenient time to suit you. I really dont see why your posting on here and not out looking for a new home.

27 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Just pack up and leave you won't get your deposit back anyway. as for walking in with potential buyers they have the right but must give you written notice of at least two weeks to inform you and to make a convenient time to suit you. I really dont see why your posting on here and not out looking for a new home.

Well I can answer that for you. Firstly it cost is a considerable amount to mover here, set up internet, true vision etc.

We have a long term plan to move to a far away province end of next year, or maybe middle next year. I don't really want to move all my stuff (we have a lot) for a short stay of maybe 6 months. If I was in a furnished condo with nothing much of course I would up and move. Like so many replies to things on TV often a lot easier said than done.

Well then all you can do is spend good money to bad. If the landlord is trying to sell and he does do you really think he or the new owners will honor the agreement ! !!chanches are you will be told to move on a whim he he doesn't care about fixing problems he won't be bothered about evicting you. Just beware. 

You say you have been there just short of a year in which case not long before you can cancel all the stuff you mention true vision internet ect ect.

Edited by Deepinthailand

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

If I do stop paying rent can they call the police and move us out or something?

They can call who they want, but it's up to a Court to pass judgement.

Ultimately it's all about how you handle it. If you start getting all combative and saying you refuse, the situation will go rapidly downhill.

Thai style is to simply say sure, no problem, but there is a delay with the bank and money coming from abroad. Or something similar. Then remind them they have a security deposit which will cover them for any lost rent, so no problem.

If the police or anyone else turns up make sure you record everything on your phone. That will ensure the facts can be replayed at a later date.