Relocating back to UK

Looking at relocating back to England within the next 2 years.

Married 10 year and been together 12 years. We have one son who already has his British passport.

Main reason for moving back is education and I have family back there.

Wife has over 10m baht in liguid assets which she want to use in the purchase of a home in the UK.

I have still have business interests back there so no issue with employment for me.

We have travelled around Asia and New Zealand but she has never been to UK.

A few questions which some of you hopefully can assist me with.

1, Which type of visa do we apply for, tourist or spouse?

2, Do ourselves or use an agent?

3, Will the above assets help in visa application?

4, Can she travel to Europe on the UK visa?

5, Can she learn to drive and apply for a UK driving licence on the visa?

6, How long before we can apply for a British passport for her?

7, Can she do any study or voluntary work in the UK on her visa?

8, What is the best and legal way to transfer the above money to the UK and will it be taxed?

Appreciate all helpful replies. 

1. Your wife will need to apply for a settlement visa.
2. It's a pretty straightforward process, most applicants are able to apply without the comfort of an agent, but some prefer to use one.
3. You would need to sponsor your wife and need to meet the income or savings requirements.
4. No she would need a separate visa, but as your wife it would be free.
5. She can drive on a Thai license for a year, then she needs to pass the test.
6. she can apply after five years, but there are procedures along the way.
7. With a settlement visa she can work from day one, or at least as soon as she's collected her Residence Permit.
8. Bank transfer, the hardest thing is getting it out of Thailand, it wouldn't be taxed in the U.K.

Most of the information you require is given, in more detail, in the pinned topic at the top of the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Getting the money out shouldn't be an issue. We now live in the UK and have for the last 4 years, for the previous 10 years we lived in Thailand. When we came back to the UK we couldn't sell our house but about 4 months ago, totally out of the blue we got an acceptable offer. Because everything is in wife's name she just put the money into her Thai bank (Bangkok Bank) and arranged an international transfer through her internet banking. The bank would not do anything until she faxed a copy of her British passport to them, they had already seen the land office receipt( if I remember correctly). They wanted something to prove that it was going Thai to Thai (I think), so proof of a British address or something else would probably be acceptable as long as it clearly shows a Thai presence. Easy answer is to ask bank before you leave. She then gave her UK bank details, in her case Royal Bank of Scotland, and she now transfers her money whenever she wants. We watch the exchange rates closely before doing anything and we get a 300 baht charge for up to £20,000 worth of transfer. Wife's Thai bank limits each transfer to 500,000 baht, which when exchanged comes to about £20,000, depending on rates.

Although I don't know, I do have a suspicion that we will not be able to transfer any more than the amount we put in from the sale of the house but then you can bring cash out. In the UK you can bring in unlimited cash as long as you declare it but I don't know the Thai limit.

As Steady has already said talk to your Bank before leaving to check but I don't think it should be to much trouble.

The Wife popped home recently to complete the sale on a property and after supplying the paperwork the bank asked for had no trouble transferring £35,000.

She has lived in the UK for almost 10 years now and has UK citizenship.

One of the documents she provided was her British passport to show she was now settled in the UK and hence her reason for transferring the proceeds of the sale.

You may be right about the passport, however one of the reasons which can be given to Bangkok Bank to allow an international transfer included being educated overseas and that wouldn't require a UK passport. I think that a passport is just an easy way of proving where the person stays. I assume (maybe foolishly) that there must be other methods and documents acceptable.

Thanks guys for being so informative. 

We are planning a visit there next year for a months holiday and look at some areas and schools.

Would my wife be able to open a bank account in the UK on her holiday or tourist visa or can we open a joint account?

We will be staying with family during our holiday as my apartment is rented out long term.

5 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Would my wife be able to open a bank account in the UK on her holiday or tourist visa or can we open a joint account?

I doubt if she would be able to open an account in her own name unless she is resident in the UK, many people fall foul of the money laundering rules that makes this difficult, including returning expats who haven't managed to keep an account open whilst living overseas. 

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, Tongjaw said:

Which type of visa do we apply for, tourist or spouse?

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:46 AM, theoldgit said:

1. Your wife will need to apply for a settlement visa...........
Most of the information you require is given, in more detail, in the pinned topic at the top of the forum.

See also Apply to join family living permanently in the UK.

I appreciate that you are not currently living in the UK, but for the purposes of this visa you are, even if you remain in Thailand until her visa is issued and then return to the UK with her.