Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

On 11/22/2016 at 6:16 PM, Jingthing said:

It would be NIGHTMARE news for a large portion of us, if this will be the only option and the current one year extensions with the current financial requirement levels are phased out. 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

Is no need to worry about this. Many of us who got retirement extensions before 2000 are still subjected to a previous requirement of BT 400,000 in the bank. I am quite sure that those who already have retirement Visa's will still only have to have BT 800,000. But those who are not already retired here will have to apply under the new regulations. I think they're very reasonable and similar to Malaysia and it will bring in a better class of retiree.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

This does replace the existing retirement visa.

Are you panicking now? I am!!!!!!

It says that the 10 year visa is only available for people from 14 countries.  How can it replace it if it's only for certain nationalities?  Those 14 get the 'improved' visa while the rest continue on with the old one?  Or people not from those 14 aren't eligible for any kind of visa now?  It is still not clear.

Just now, mcfish said:

There are going to be a million over stayers now and why not? If you never leave the country the chance of getting caught is pretty much zero

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I don't believe that. I think the majority of over 50's would do voluntary deportations if they could no longer qualify. Not happily, of course. 

1 minute ago, DP25 said:

It says that the 10 year visa is only available for people from 14 countries.  How can it replace it if it's only for certain nationalities?  Those 14 get the 'improved' visa while the rest continue on with the old one?  Or people not from those 14 aren't eligible for any kind of visa now?  It is still not clear.

The articles and press releases say the new Visa is aimed at residents from certain countries (thats the target market). I haven't seen any article that says exclusively for certain counties.

6 minutes ago, meatboy said:

this is not for expats over the age of 50 who already live in thailand,the 90day reporting is not going away.

but anyway this doesnt concern me as i am welsh,not from england.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

How do you know that? 

I expect his mother told him or it is on his birth certificate.

I don't believe that. I think the majority of over 50's would do voluntary deportations if they could no longer qualify. Not happily, of course. 

It was an over exaggeration, what I really should have said Is married guys. If I had a family I would risk it without a doubt unless I could get them out to my home country.

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

It was an over exaggeration, what I really should have said Is married guys. If I had a family I would risk it without a doubt unless I could get them out to my home country.

If you have family, the Thai immigration CAN NOT refuse you entry into Thailand unless you have committed a criminal offence. 

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The articles and press releases say the new Visa is aimed at residents from certain countries (thats the target market). I haven't seen any article that says exclusively for certain counties.

It's in the article from the poster I responded to

2. Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Tourism and Sports have reached an agreement, at the 5/2016 board meeting of Thailand Development and Promotion on Medical and Wellness Tourism, to extend period of stay for Long Stay Visa from 1 year to 10 years for foreigners from 14 countries as follows: Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, France, Finland, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, USA, England, Japan and Canada. The requirements are as follows:

How many times do I have to post this?

The Royal Thai Government whose PM is Prayuth has an official website. On it recently posted is the cabinet meeting held on Tuesday about Long Stay Visas.

Here's the link:-

Read it.

http://www.thaigov.go.th/index.php/en/cabinet-synopsis-/item/109144-the-cabinet-meeting-on-tuesday-november-22-2016

If there going to be 2 categories of O-A Visa for 1 year Visa and an O-A Visa for a 10 year validity then I do not see the advantage of the 10 year validity. I might be wrong and maybe I am...

Still have to do 90 days and you lock 3M Baht for a year. You will probably have to prove that (after one year) you did not touch the 3M and that will be extra paperwork and a visit to Immigration. Don't know if the 3M lock also necessary when the 5 year extension takes place but when it does, again I guess you'll have to prove that after one year. 

Then there's the required health insurance; I would guess that you have to prove every year that you are still insured.

Again paperwork and a visit to Immigration?

For me, the 90 days (or extension) is a walk in the park. 90 Days is in and out under 20 minutes and the extension might take half an hour or so. But I have heard stories of queuing up for your number and spending most of the day waiting for your turn and then (with all the paperwork) it might be as time consuming as the 1 year O-A...

Enlighten me if I'm wrong...

Regards,

Nongsung

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

WHY:::::
only difference is on the old system we spend a few hours ( sometimes less)at immigration once /year.

PLUS we dont need tie up a huge amount of $$$ or worry about having another 35,000 baht/month OR NEED to buy medical insurance

So tell me, whats the advantage??

True about the difference for many not wanting to maybe bring that amount of savings here but....

I have a feeling that health insurance rule is coming to all eventually

Just too many older foreigners now ......Thailand will surely be getting stuck more & more often with the

bill for some. Those who did not have health insurance & had a major problem which made flying to their country of origin

impossible. Even if just in hospital a short time before expiring Thailand would be stuck with that bill.

5 minutes ago, DP25 said:

It's in the article from the poster I responded to

Yes, apologies, I read that about 2 seconds after posting.

I find i very strange that China and Russia are not on the list.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe I know more than most, having lived here for 3 decades but I really can't see why all the worry and paranoia going on here.

This is Thailand which means there is a way around ALL obstacles. Little ones like visas has been a cash cow bent immigration officers and farang "entrepreneurs" for years. Anyone remember Hole in the wall? Thai Visa? :smile:

It is SO easy to get a 1 year visa, it silly. Try getting out more and you'll find the answers.

28 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Royal Thai Government update reads:-

Title: Extension of period of stay for Long Stay Visa

The Cabinet approved in principle on proposals made by Ministry of Public Health on the extension of period of stay in Thailand for Long Stay Visa. Ministry of Interior is ordered to issue or amend related laws to be in accordance with the Cabinet’s resolution.

Gist of the matter

Ministry of Public Health reported that

1. At present, an increasing number of foreigners aged 50 and over have been travelling to Thailand for a long stay by obtaining Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-A (Long Stay). Ministry of Tourism and Sports also reported that in 2014, top 15 countries of which the citizens have been approved for a long stay in Thailand are: England, USA, Switzerland, Japan, France, Australia, Norway, China, Sweden, Netherlands, India, Italy, Canada and Taiwan. These are tourists with considerable potentials who prefer to stay in Thailand’s tourist destinations, such as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chonburi and other famous coastal provinces.

2. Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Tourism and Sports have reached an agreement, at the 5/2016 board meeting of Thailand Development and Promotion on Medical and Wellness Tourism, to extend period of stay for Long Stay Visa from 1 year to 10 years for foreigners from 14 countries as follows: Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, France, Finland, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, USA, England, Japan and Canada. The requirements are as follows:

1)    Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa. Holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 5 years with multiple entry and granted for another 5-year extension with multiple entry.

2) Visa fee: 10,000 Baht

3) Financial requirement: Must have a bank deposit of at least 3 million baht or have a monthly salary of at least 100,000 Baht

4) Health insurance coverage: Must have with them medical insurance policy of at least USD 1,000 for OPD and USD 10,000 or more for IPD per year

5) Report to immigration: every 90 days to the immigration officer in his or her residence area

6) Others: Spouse or registered partner of the applicant aged 50 or more can request for a Long Stay Visa by providing a seperate bank deposit in Thailand or have monthly salary. Spouse aged under 50 will be granted with Non-immigrant visa catergory O, and childern aged under 21 can enter the country for education with Non-immigrant visa catergory ED. The applicant can also purchase private vehicle or condominium in Thailand with foreign funds transferred to Thai bank account, as well as will be permitted to conduct volunteer work without pay.

28 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Royal Thai Government update reads:-

Title: Extension of period of stay for Long Stay Visa

The Cabinet approved in principle on proposals made by Ministry of Public Health on the extension of period of stay in Thailand for Long Stay Visa. Ministry of Interior is ordered to issue or amend related laws to be in accordance with the Cabinet’s resolution.

Gist of the matter

Ministry of Public Health reported that

1. At present, an increasing number of foreigners aged 50 and over have been travelling to Thailand for a long stay by obtaining Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-A (Long Stay). Ministry of Tourism and Sports also reported that in 2014, top 15 countries of which the citizens have been approved for a long stay in Thailand are: England, USA, Switzerland, Japan, France, Australia, Norway, China, Sweden, Netherlands, India, Italy, Canada and Taiwan. These are tourists with considerable potentials who prefer to stay in Thailand’s tourist destinations, such as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chonburi and other famous coastal provinces.

1)    Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa. Holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 5 years with multiple entry and granted for another 5-year extension with multiple entry.

2) Visa fee: 10,000 Baht

3) Financial requirement: Must have a bank deposit of at least 3 million baht or have a monthly salary of at least 100,000 Baht

4) Health insurance coverage: Must have with them medical insurance policy of at least USD 1,000 for OPD and USD 10,000 or more for IPD per year

5) Report to immigration: every 90 days to the immigration officer in his or her residence area

6) Others: Spouse or registered partner of the applicant aged 50 or more can request for a Long Stay Visa by providing a seperate bank deposit in Thailand or have monthly salary. Spouse aged under 50 will be granted with Non-immigrant visa catergory O, and childern aged under 21 can enter the country for education with Non-immigrant visa catergory ED. The applicant can also purchase private vehicle or condominium in Thailand with foreign funds transferred to Thai bank account, as well as will be permitted to conduct volunteer work without pay.

Read it.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe I know more than most, having lived here for 3 decades but I really can't see why all the worry and paranoia going on here.

This is Thailand which means there is a way around ALL obstacles. Little ones like visas has been a cash cow bent immigration officers and farang "entrepreneurs" for years. Anyone remember Hole in the wall? Thai Visa? :smile:

It is SO easy to get a 1 year visa, it silly. Try getting out more and you'll find the answers.

If you have family, the Thai immigration CAN NOT refuse you entry into Thailand unless you have committed a criminal offence. 

It's not the entry that I would be worry about its the forced exit. There are countless guys that cannot afford the the 400k visa so it's looking very bleak but I have faith the op article has it all wrong. Remember the article that came out saying all farang need a work permit to rent out their condos? The mayor of phuket had to release a statement saying it wasn't true because of the panic.

Im expecting a similar response here

5 minutes ago, nongsung said:

If there going to be 2 categories of O-A Visa for 1 year Visa and an O-A Visa for a 10 year validity then I do not see the advantage of the 10 year validity. I might be wrong and maybe I am...

Still have to do 90 days and you lock 3M Baht for a year. You will probably have to prove that (after one year) you did not touch the 3M and that will be extra paperwork and a visit to Immigration. Don't know if the 3M lock also necessary when the 5 year extension takes place but when it does, again I guess you'll have to prove that after one year. 

Then there's the required health insurance; I would guess that you have to prove every year that you are still insured.

For me, the 90 days (or extension) is a walk in the park. 90 Days is in and out under 20 minutes and the extension might take half an hour or so. But I have heard stories of queuing up for your number and spending most of the day waiting for your turn and then (with all the paperwork) it might be as time consuming as the 1 year O-A...

Regards,

Nongsung

Nobody really can enlighten you definitively yet.

6 minutes ago, nongsung said:

Regards,

Nongsung

your right.

In the wording it says long term visa from one year to 10 years is that not a confirmation that the one year visa is still part of the overall visa choice but with the extra added 10 years.

I don't think for one minute the Thai Government is stupid, they would not damage there economy in one go with replacing the one year retirement extension with a 10 year one that is very difficult for most expats to meet the requirements they want more revenue so this is one way to do it.

If they did what everyone is thinking they have done they would have a very big hit on there economy with expats leaving and selling up and no more foreign investment coming in, with a big hit on the property market.  I will not be concerned at all about this as I think its good news for some people who can meet the requirements of the new 10 year visa.

Regards 

Scotsman 

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNECO5911240010001   

Edited by scotsman

34 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

You must have missed the "Visa Section" in this forum. There are many who have to to trick the system to stay in Thailand. Not to mention the ten thousands who are still illegal here on overstay. And many many visa agent offer the service of "borrowing" the required amount for a fee like 20.000baht. Pattaya will be a lonely place if you need 3mio baht cash or 100k income to get a Retirement visa. 

good riddence

easy visa... yeah, the bank and income stuff....  but in Thailand for someone over age 60 or so to change their health coverage to include ****outpatient***** because you don't need it in Thailand but would for this... and maybe this will later be for regular retiree extensions down the road.... 

the expensive stuff is inpatient.... med tech equipment i.e. scans.. chemo.. special drugs...

and most all Thai carriers won't even allow you to sign up after some age... I think it's 60... 

2 minutes ago, scotsman said:

In the wording it says long term visa from one year to 10 years is that not a confirmation that the one year visa is still part of the overall visa choice but with the extra added 10 years.

I don't think for one minute the Thai Government is stupid, they would not damage there economy in one go with replacing the one year retirement extension with a 10 year one that is very difficult for most expats to meet the requirements they want more revenue so this is one way to do it.

If they did what everyone is thinking they have done they would have a very big hit on there economy with expats leaving and selling up and no more foreign investment coming in, with a big hit on the property market.  I will not be concerned at all about this as I think its good news for some people who can meet the requirements of the new 10 year visa.

Regards 

Scotsman 

whats the GOOD NEWS we still have to do the 90day reports,and also deposit 3million bht.in the bank not for 3months but a full yr.

for 1yr.visa's and leave it there for every yr.after.