Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I have no idea.. I only know that Thailand isnt getting any cheaper.. Living a good life, getting good medical services, eating a diet that isnt rice and noodles but has global ingredients.. None of thats cheap.

I cant live month to month on 100k..

And again - that explains a lot....

30 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Anyone with 100k a month income or 3 mil in the bank isnt going to be living in a hovel or dining on noodles..

Of course it will go into the economy..

Agreed, all that money that people have in fixed term, savings etc etc doesn't just sit in a big bank vault. It's invested, lent out, re-circulated in the economy in more ways than most would know.

hmmmm, after reading a lot of these posts, it has come to me that there are quite a few people living here that are living on a shoestring. It seems 3 mil in the bank is really not a big deal...the 100,000 a month income...if you are making less than that...why live somewhere where you have to watch your pennies. Now I understand a lot of these girls talking about smelly cheap charlies.

Then maybe, someone on social security, isnt wealthy enough to go retire in a tropical country halfway around the world..

No one said social security would enable those things.

Nope. Actually a typical U.S. check will work here plus most people of course have savings. If this is really about replace as indicated it simply means the government only wants more moneyed people. It does not logically follow that many less wealthy people couldn't afford to stay. But if not allowed game over.

31 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

try getting a bank loan on farm land, you only get a small proportion of what the land is worth. Actually the hospital knew us and trusted we were good for the money, the wife only produced the deeds for 100 rai which they just shoved into a drawer and without further ado stamped the bill with paid for the insurance,two weeks later the insurance paid up. 

So you added another 100 rai of land on to make yourself appear rich?

Maybe it was 1 rai. :sad:

True.

But those enjoying the worry of retired people who meet the current requirements, but will be unable to meet the new requirements (if this turns out to be the case) - need to be reminded that the authorities will probably next look at houses owned by companies set up by those foreigners.

Depressing how some rejoice at the concern of others who have less money :sad:.

You're right. It's very vulgar behavior to mock people over income level. Welcome to thaivisa!

This would be an option IMO, I would also think tourist numbers are down big time, so why not get more farangs to retire in Thailand, we know they want security (visa wise), so why not give them a 10 year visa, other countries are doing it, they can buy condominiums and spend money in our country, as for the rest on one year visa's, well we still need them, let's keep everything normal with them, but when we have rounded up enough of the 10 year visa applicants and approved, lets bring in health insurance as being mandatory on one year visa's.

Makes sense ? 

Sense has nothing to do with it. We need real details on this plan and whether to take replace literally.

1 hour ago, SpokaneAl said:

But the non imm o-a has no requirements involving money in a Thai bank. Actually that is one advantage to it vs an extension of stay for the first two years.

It sounds to me that they are discussing extensions of stay. But who really know.

The reports don't specify the money will need to be in a Thai bank. They are badly written and I thought at first they were referring to extensions of stay because they were referring to foreign residents, but I am now convinced that it is a replacement or addition to the Non 'O-A' visa, which doesn't require money to be in a Thai bank.

The immigration act doesn't allow for 5 or 10 year extensions.

Just now, Jingthing said:

You're right. It's very vulgar behavior to mock people over income level. Welcome to thaivisa!

The irony is the vulgar people who have been mocking the younger ones in the visa section are the one's that will be affected by this. 

2 hours ago, bubba1 said:

The 800K is meant to be spent but the 3,000,000 can't be touched so a term deposit might be OK. Who knows.

Rubbish,it has never been said or even suggested that the 800k be spent.Mine has been resting in a fixed deposit for years,forget i even have it sometimes.Just rainy day money.

Remember the buy a condo over 3  million and get a visa from years back was it?

Well Ive got 4 value around 16  million............but I still must show 3  million? stupid!

Currently on the married to a Thai extension of 400k but PUSHED heavily at  immigration last year (Hua  Hin) to change it  to "retirement".

3 hours ago, Happyman108 said:

800000 baht 3 months for a year visa or 3 million baht a year for a 10 years visa........not surprise so many poor farang complaining, but hey you can still apply for the usual 1 year visa dude. But for those who are financially more well off are given a better choice of not going thru the yearly hassle, I'm going for it !! :coffee1:

for those who are financially well-off this advantage does not matter as they have never seen the inside of an immigration office.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Well I hope someone has insider info and van deliver it to us. Or perhaps this is still half baked and the final definitive details don't even exist yet.

Calm down and have a cup of cocoa and put your slippers on.

This is not as exciting as you seem to think. No big deal at all. 

You'd only lose about time for 30 posts going to immigration once a year.

6 minutes ago, billybog said:

hmmmm, after reading a lot of these posts, it has come to me that there are quite a few people living here that are living on a shoestring. It seems 3 mil in the bank is really not a big deal...the 100,000 a month income...if you are making less than that...why live somewhere where you have to watch your pennies. Now I understand a lot of these girls talking about smelly cheap charlies.

Whereas I'm wondering about a couple of new posters that have joined to post on this topic.

Archived