Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that ThaiVisa made a mistake to forward that "news".
This "replacement" is so important that Thaivisa should have checked twice before forwarding it.

Now Im' thinking about all the retirees that will sleep bad tonight... and certainly for nothing !

Certainly? Like you know for sure.

12 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

lol, did you ever mention that you have lots of money?

Seriously though , if you think being able to pay a visa agent once a year makes you financially well-off, you are not. What is it 5000 baht a year, wow big spender. 

seriously though, if you think that a Farang who retired 26 years ago is not much better off than a Farang who works since 31 years in Thailand and posting unjustified comments then you should ask the good doctor for a remedy.

:whistling: 

50 minutes ago, JamieM said:

I wonder if this is a reality check for over 50's who are constantly scoffing on at the younger members in visa section? You may not be so holier than us for much longer unless you have 100k a month income and don't fancy marrying a bar girl named ting tong :D

Yeah they always said if you are under 50 you should be able to be rich enough to afford the Elite visa. I do have a TE visa and now I think I can say if you don't have the money for the newest requirements you should go make more to the over 50 crowd.

Now all they have to do is ban guys over 50 from getting married like Cambodia did. Sorry if it sounds spiteful but there wasn't much sympathy when the shoe was on the other foot.

4 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Astonishing. And fantastic news if true, and if they can deliver on it.

This cancels out the majority of retirees living here on 1 year visas. More should be done for over 50's with Thai families, but this proves that they only give a <deleted> for those with money to burn, nothing compassionate about this government, just looking after themselves. 

Enough said !

9 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

What I can't understand is what makes it a ten-year visa if it has to be renewed after five years?

It would probably work the same way as the Thai Elite PE visa. Even if you have 20 year membership of Thailand Elite they only issue a 5 year visa that gets automatically renewed. Not sure why they do that, but I suspect it's so they can choose not to renew should they want to cancel the scheme.

30 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Car for me.. Car for the wife.. Collection of big bikes.. Western food.. Gardeners and pool cleaners.. International travel..

Yeah.. No way to get that down under 100 really... And thats not even counting bar life and whooping it up..

Weirdly, some of us can live without cars/big bikes/bar life and whooping it up :smile:.

But you think we should be kicked out because we don't live that 'lifestyle'.....

35 minutes ago, free123 said:

3000000 for ten years = 300000 one year about 25000 a month and this is an amount I spend in a week when in bkk....come on if u cant cone up w. 25000 a month what do u want here...when i apply for the one y. they asked me to show 20000 EUROS that is 800000 Bhat a year that is roughly 67000 bhat a month so under the new rule it will be 25000 a month....so it gets cheaper  .... 

if someone is married and have kids here if i would be government i would ask a fluent level of thai languagge AND the proove of a job that pays 100000 bhat a month ( the falang work in thailand ) or a oversee pension that pays same ...than i give visa forever .... no speak thai at university level go home to learn it....see u in a year at the home embassy...where u make test before u enter

I would forget going to university to learn Thai, English would be a good start.

Have you had a libation or two this evening?

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Strange.. I post this news, with the exact same info.. Thread closed.. Not enough information.. Then Thaivisa posts it.. 

Cant see what people are whining about.. 100k a month for a 10 year visa, in 2 blocks of 5... Just superb. 

Hope its still in force when I cross 50.. 

Yep, another "I am alright Jack" sort of character.

1 hour ago, JamieM said:

I wonder if this is a reality check for over 50's who are constantly scoffing on at the younger members in visa section? You may not be so holier than us for much longer unless you have 100k a month income and don't fancy marrying a bar girl named ting tong :D

Yeah they always said if you are under 50 you should be able to be rich enough to afford the Elite visa. I do have a TE visa and now I think I can say if you don't have the money for the newest requirements you should go make more to the over 50 crowd.

Now all they have to do is ban guys over 50 from getting married like Cambodia did. Sorry if it sounds spiteful but there wasn't much sympathy when the shoe was on the other foot.

Just now, anotheruser said:

It's not spiteful you are within your rights to say that considering how they have been gloating over us for all this time. Karma indeed!

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Well Vietnam has a 1 year mutli entry visa for Americans about 5000 baht. No financial requirements to speak of and no hassles. China beach at Danang looking awfully good these days.

See you there mate.Just come back from there and i was checking alternatives,just in case.Seems that has come around quicker than i thought.

None of us has any idea if this replaces or is in addition to the current retirement set up. One clue to the intention though is mandatory insurance. I think most western countries in the world would require this for elderly retirees.

So my point is it leads me to suspect this might be a replacement as this requirement should actually be in place for all people wishing to reside here. If you don't have insurance or a certain amount in some type of 'escrow' you really shouldn't be living in a foreign country, period.

21 minutes ago, Naam said:

seriously though, if you think that a Farang who retired 26 years ago is not much better off than a Farang who works since 31 years in Thailand and posting unjustified comments then you should ask the good doctor for a remedy.

:whistling: 

Hey naam, we don't have to listen to this crap, We paid our dues and if this works out good for us then so what, I didn't see anything in the story that said any other ways of satisfying the immigration laws would be eliminated did you? Are some jealous because we worked our ass off to get where we are or what?

8 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

This cancels out the majority of retirees living here on 1 year visas. More should be done for over 50's with Thai families, but this proves that they only give a <deleted> for those with money to burn, nothing compassionate about this government, just looking after themselves. 

Enough said !

I'm tired of posts going on about Westerners 'with families'.

Single people are likely to spend just as much money (if not more) in local shops and on local services because we have a larger disposable income.

If I said that I deserved special consideration because I've adopted soi dogs, would you consider this a good argument?

4 hours ago, acid thunder said:

Hmm, well, on closer inspection it doesn't seem to be quite all singing all dancing.

You don't need to look too close to see this is no big deal. "Same old same old" still got to jump through the hoop every three months with the added cash needed and you will still have to say where you are staying every time you visit some place or be happy to pay out yet more cash.

14 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Enough said !

No it doesn't. It wouldn't affect anyone living here on 1 year extensions of stay, which is probably what you mean by 1 year visa. IF they replace the 1 year Non 'O-A' visa with this 10 year option it will only affect those using this visa to live here that can't find an extra 20,000 baht, or have an income less than 100,000, or that can't afford or qualify for insurance. I doubt that would be many.

It's a new visa.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm tired of posts going on about Westerners 'with families'.

Single people are likely to spend just as much money (if not more) in local shops and on local services because we have a larger disposable income.

If I said that I deserved special consideration because I've adopted soi dogs, would you consider this a good argument?

Breeders always think they are doing the world some sort of favor.