Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Well I hope someone has insider info and van deliver it to us. Or perhaps this is still half baked and the final definitive details don't even exist yet.

i don't think it's half baked. it's one of the many lukewarm farts nobody talks about in a few months.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Perhaps. I've never done that. I used to be a backpacker myself. Good times.

It's nice to hear that you aren't one of the guys that have mocked us. As these people are finding out its the uncertainty that gets to you even if this doesn't come about the uncertainty is not nice.

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Not one bit of it.. 

I think anyone who considers retiring, and living for any length of time, who doesnt have 100k a month coming in.. Is in for a very disappointing retirement in Thailand !! 

Just look at the rising cost of living here.. Extrapolate that 5 or even 10 year down the rd. For someone at 50 they have potentially 30 years of health in front of them. 

God knows how Thais survive on 15k baht then.If you need 100k baht to live in Thailand your getting ripped off.Glad that you think your happy.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

for those who are financially well-off this advantage does not matter as they have never seen the inside of an immigration office.

lol, did you ever mention that you have lots of money?

Seriously though , if you think being able to pay a visa agent once a year makes you financially well-off, you are not. What is it 5000 baht a year, wow big spender. 

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

for those who are financially well-off this advantage does not matter as they have never seen the inside of an immigration office.

As I am not retirement age.. Even with an agent myself and my wife have to go..

I guess with enough money in brown envelopes that could be solved but not the usual few 1000 agent fee.

3000000 for ten years = 300000 one year about 25000 a month and this is an amount I spend in a week when in bkk....come on if u cant cone up w. 25000 a month what do u want here...when i apply for the one y. they asked me to show 20000 EUROS that is 800000 Bhat a year that is roughly 67000 bhat a month so under the new rule it will be 25000 a month....so it gets cheaper  .... 

if someone is married and have kids here if i would be government i would ask a fluent level of thai languagge AND the proove of a job that pays 100000 bhat a month ( the falang work in thailand ) or a oversee pension that pays same ...than i give visa forever .... no speak thai at university level go home to learn it....see u in a year at the home embassy...where u make test before u enter

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

God knows how Thais survive on 15k baht then.If you need 100k baht to live in Thailand your getting ripped off.Glad that you think your happy.

Car for me.. Car for the wife.. Collection of big bikes.. Western food.. Gardeners and pool cleaners.. International travel..

Yeah.. No way to get that down under 100 really... And thats not even counting bar life and whooping it up..

1 minute ago, free123 said:

3000000 for ten years = 300000 one year about 25000 a month and this is an amount I spend in a week when in bkk....come on if u cant cone up w. 25000 a month what do u want here...when i apply for the one y. they asked me to show 20000 EUROS that is 800000 Bhat a year that is roughly 67000 bhat a month so under the new rule it will be 25000 a month....so it gets cheaper  .... 

if someone is married and have kids here if i would be government i would ask a fluent level of thai languagge AND the proove of a job that pays 100000 bhat a month ( the falang work in thailand ) or a oversee pension that pays same ...than i give visa forever .... no speak thai at university level go home to learn it....see u in a year at the home embassy...where u make test before u enter

and then the govt can pick up the pieces of all the marriages and families that get broken apart...........yeah  good  plan

Just now, free123 said:

if i would be government i would ask a fluent level of thai languagge AND the proove of a job that pays 100000 bhat a month ( the falang work in thailand ) or a oversee pension that pays same ...than i give visa forever .... no speak thai at university level go home to learn it....see u in a year at the home embassy...where u make test before u enter

Why would you do that? so that you would be more attractive when the competition is gone? :D

1 million baht per person per bank is covered according to the thailawforum. Not the 15mil someone posted earlier.

I am prepared to be enlightened if there are other ways of protecting the full amount apart from splitting it over 3 banks.

Unfortunately great click bait with little solid info.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet extended to 10 years from one the long-stay visa for foreigners aged 50 or more.

However, they must report to immigration police every 90 days.

The visa will be valid initially for five years and could be renewed for another five, Col Apisit Chaiyanuwat, vice minister at the Prime Minister’s Office, said.

The visa fee was set at 10,000 baht (20,000 rupees), he said.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-news/thailand-halves-visa-on-arrival-fees-for-indians-18-nations-4390163/

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Original article and BKKpost both say it will replace the one year visa

I don't read like this ; I read " affluent resident will soon be able to apply ... they do it if they want and it would replace ( for these people ) the one year renewable visa ; it's not written that the one year visa will disappear

5 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Calm down and have a cup of cocoa and put your slippers on.

This is not as exciting as you seem to think. No big deal at all. 

You'd only lose about time for 30 posts going to immigration once a year.

Quite apart from the possible issues raised in this thread - you only need to report to Immigration once a year?

Please tell us your secret to avoid 90 day reports.

Just now, Aforek said:

I don't read like this ; I read " affluent resident will soon be able to apply ... they do it if they want and it would replace ( for these people ) the one year renewable visa ; it's not written that the one year visa will disappear

I really think that ThaiVisa made a mistake to forward that "news".

This "replacement" is so important that Thaivisa should have checked twice before forwarding it.

Now Im' thinking about all the retirees that will sleep bad tonight... and certainly for nothing !

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Quite apart from the possible issues raised in this thread - you only need to report to Immigration once a year?

Get someone to do it for you or post it. I hear it only takes 10 minutes anyway.

is there a connection, that NLA member should stay on stand by ?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30300493

some meeting with “important agenda” suggested by the government. “There may be some urgent matter. Judging from what the government has signalled, the NLA may need to endorse different treaties,

41 minutes ago, david555 said:

nowhere the line "grandfatered" for the existing extensions as before for the older ones with lower requirements ??

Probably because they are talking about a new visa and not changing the existing extension of stay requirements.

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're guessing. Wishfully.

They are referring to replacing an existing 1 year visa. The only 1 year visa that fits the bill is the Non 'O-A' (long term visa). They seem to be giving over 50's the option of a true long term option. 

16 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Calm down and have a cup of cocoa and put your slippers on.

This is not as exciting as you seem to think. No big deal at all. 

You'd only lose about time for 30 posts going to immigration once a year.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

3 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Get someone to do it for you or post it. I hear it only takes 10 minutes anyway.

In which case its not necessary to even go once a year.

I know as I employ an agent to deal with these things on my behalf.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

They are referring to replacing an existing 1 year visa. The only 1 year visa that fits the bill is the Non 'O-A' (long term visa). They seem to be giving over 50's the option of a true long term option. 

why bother when for 1  million u can get 20 year Elite a  much better deal

Archived