Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

We really NEED to know if these higher financial levels for the 10 year visa will be the ONLY option. If so, I guess there will be a lot of fire sale condos soon! 

This would be an option IMO, I would also think tourist numbers are down big time, so why not get more farangs to retire in Thailand, we know they want security (visa wise), so why not give them a 10 year visa, other countries are doing it, they can buy condominiums and spend money in our country, as for the rest on one year visa's, well we still need them, let's keep everything normal with them, but when we have rounded up enough of the 10 year visa applicants and approved, lets bring in health insurance as being mandatory on one year visa's.

Makes sense ? 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I am not rejoicing at anything.. I will bet this is an 'as well as' not an 'instead of' offering anyway.

But I do think anyone intending to retire here for a decade or two, who doesnt have 100k coming in monthly, needs their head checked. Just look at inflation in the last 5 years, the growth of the middle class thais, etc..

Are you saying JT needs his head checked?

7 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Because sonny, the so called "old farts" have done their bit in life (some of which don't forget, has placed the world in a condition which allows cheeky pups like you to air your irrelevant but noisy views all the same) and have earned the right to kick back and take it easy.

Don't forget sunshine these old farts have been subject to some of the most crass cases of lying, cheating, deceit and outright robbery by their own governments and have earned the right to some peace as they live out their autumn years.

i am willing to bet that when you enter the exalted club of old farts, and assuming you have a modicum of common sense, you will realise the wisdom of what you have been told.

so I request that you ease up on them.

niw turning to the matter in hand, I trust those dep thinking policy makers realise that high income does in no way guarantee high levels of behaviour which will then fly in opposition to the good in bad out policy.......

Bravo! And as for the high income earners ......one only has to look at the behaviour of the Thai Hisos to realise the logic in your comment.

15 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Or at the very least some sort of backup plan, in case the sh1t hits the fan one day.

Bit like driving an expensive car, or any car for that matter, without insurance.

trouble is, events get in the way, like having children. I could just clear off to Cambodia but i am not the sort who leaves his family in the doo doo. There is always the option of a visa looking after a Thai child i suppose but i don't think for a moment that this affects anyone on visa extensions. 

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

This would be an option IMO, I would also think tourist numbers are down big time, so why not get more farangs to retire in Thailand

And today that same spokeman announced that the VOA (Visa on Arrival) fees will be reduced from 2,000 bahts to 1,000 bahts to attract more tourists.

That "replacement" for the 50 yo is a non-sense. We have to wait for tomorrow :)

Seems like this is just an option and not a replacement for the current system.  Methinks they are making a stab at attracting more "quality" expats as the other bookend to their "quality" tourists.

Based on what. The article says differently with the word replace.

I have another fun theory. Someone clever in the government released this story with its threatening wording to watch how all the stressed out old expats would react!

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Because they want old blokes with medical issues who are going to spend money in Thai hospitals.

The article clearly stated it is "Intended to promote Thailand as a hub for medical services"  

I don't think they even intend this to be for living here, but rather for people to visit regularly.   

The 'salary' requirement is I reckon the persons salary in their home country, not their salary in Thailand.  

It sounds like the requirements for an METV.    Proof you are employed in your home country, proof you have money in the bank (in your home country).

So it is a visa for the dying and nearly dying.I can get that in my own country for free.Does your estate get a refund if you kark it 3 years in to the visa?

Just now, Dtrump said:

Are you saying JT needs his head checked?

I have no idea.. I only know that Thailand isnt getting any cheaper.. Living a good life, getting good medical services, eating a diet that isnt rice and noodles but has global ingredients.. None of thats cheap.

I cant live month to month on 100k..

2 hours ago, JustNo said:

Why don't some of you old farts with your knickers in a twist study the Thai language for a few years, at a cost of around 20k baht and you will actually be able to talk to those bar girls in their native language... maybe :thumbsup:

Mine speaks Khmer.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Based on what. The article says differently with the word replace.

I have another fun theory. Someone clever in the government released this story with its threatening wording to watch how all the stressed out old expats would react!

replace if you opt for the 10 year visa, it is an ambiguous article at best.

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

It would 'replace' the retirement visa for folks currently using it, who wish to have a 10 year visa (or more likely extension).. Not remove the option totally.. Is how I read it. 

Anyway bring it on.. If if gets rid of some of the moaners and penny pinchers.. Thailand is no longer cheap, 300 baht yuppie beers and fashionable sets.. Get rid of the chang singlet contingent and I dont think Thailand is going to cry a river. 

Jeeves here sir. I'll be right up with your champagne, caviar and Oxford dictionary.

Will the 3 million have to be in a Thai bank account, like the current O requirements? I assume so. The question is: who would be stupid enough to do that? Or perhaps the question should be: How stupid do they think foreigners are? 

No notable interest on the money. Essentially depreciates in value.
No protection against a run on the banks.
No protection against any hostile takeover/coup.
No protection against any from of loss. 

400k, perhaps most could risk. 3m, too much of a risk/waste of an investment opportunity.

And still have to report every 90 days. You have to be kidding me.

Of course it will need to be in a Thai bank.

Duh.

Like Malaysia.

BP just posted an article. Cost of the visa is 10000 bht. It didnt say if this was for 5 or 10 years, but i would assume 5.

The really bad part is the requirement for $1000 usd outpatient insurance. This insurance usually costs at least half the amount insured, so 500 usd per year for additional insurance.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I wonder if this is a reality check for over 50's who are constantly scoffing on at the younger members in visa section? You may not be so holier than us for much longer unless you have 100k a month income and don't fancy marrying a bar girl named ting tong :D

2 hours ago, JustNo said:

Why don't some of you old farts with your knickers in a twist study the Thai language for a few years, at a cost of around 20k baht and you will actually be able to talk to those bar girls in their native language... maybe :thumbsup:

I'm afraid that reads as quite low level English, and you may in fact, need lessons yourself. :partytime2:

Just now, brucec64 said:

BP just posted an article. Cost of the visa is 10000 bht. It didnt say if this was for 5 or 10 years, but i would assume 5.

The really bad part is the requirement for $1000 usd outpatient insurance. This insurance usually costs at least half the amount insured, so 500 usd per year for additional insurance.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Wasnt it 10,000 usd insurance ??

1 hour ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

And now the penny drops you old fools.

First it was the in out visas.  And the holier than thou TV crowd on their retirement extensions were saying:   Well good riddens to the digital pikeys staying here illegally.

Then it was on to the education visa and that has now been shot in the head with ridiculous and impossible to comply with requirements.  Again the retirement extension crowd said good riddens to all those people staying here illegally.

I kept posting to remind the holier than thou crowd that the smile will soon leave their smug faces when the financial requirement for a retirement extension gets raised to 1.5 million.   Of course my posts were constantly deleted because I was rumour mongering.

But the most hilarious bit is that I was wrong, the financial requirement is going to get raised to 3 million baht.

So suck it up you smug idiots.   Now things are going to get real for you too.

And yes, there will be a wave of human tradgedy as families and relationships are destroyed and assets are sold at fire sale prices (into the hands of the Thai elite).

But guess what, those in control don't give a damn.

The same as when the two Burmese boys were scape goated for the murder of David and Hanna.  

The militarized elite knew that farangs would squeal, but the thing is they don't give a damn.

You thought that having 800,000 THB made you untouchable.  And from your perceived bastion of security you spouted hate and vitriol to those who did not qualify.

Well now it is your turn. 

Enjoy.

You're going to look really stupid if it turns out that the 1 year extensions of stay (800K) remains unchanged and the "smug idiots" have the option of an even longer visa/permit.

Outrageous post!

Archived