Cabinet waives visa fee for tourists from 19 countries

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Looking at the list of countries, some of them are the smallest countries in the world and have small populations. I wonder which genius came up with that list to boost tourist numbers.:glare:

Adding the fact that Saudis are forbidden to visit Thailand :biggrin:

(of course some do but hiding the fact with certain methods)

BUT: the real targets/heavy weights are China and India.

Ukraine: maybe third on the list.

And to be fair: it's simply the complete list of VOA countries.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

Well with post Brexit kicking in over the next few years they have to compensate for less Brits hit by falling pound, falling pensions, less wealth for trips , higher prices at home , less jobs and the lost 500 million EU consumers that UK currently easily trades with. That's what happens when people listen to right wing demagogues  like Farage

You mean the forthcoming new UK ambassador to the US?
Yes Farage. The British people actually voted for what they wanted and not listen to left wing sheep
Oh dear, you must be bitter. Poor soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

TAT at its finest, wow, other than Bhutan and Saudi Arabia and some

people from India, I do not see any great increases. It  sure is a good thing

that  any large countries, like Australia, Canada, USA, or anyone from Europe

Briton Scotland Ireland and other Cool to Cold countries did not make the

list.  As it is with some shaky economies,  I guess it does not matter much.

After this next trip I will be going other places for the next 3 years anyway.

Geezer

14 hours ago, hougourou said:

Since all the other 18 countires on the list have inconsequential numbers of tourists  coming to Thailand, another way to have put this is:

Free Visas For Chinese Tourists 

surprised how few chinese there are around pattaya now. nice to be able to sit in a coffee shop and not have to stop talking every 3 minutes due to being drowned out by those massive buses. think zero dollar visas might entice them back unfortunately.

10 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Thailand has a reputation as a country for the sex trade and of course once you get here it is cheap, relatively. But prices are rising and now Thailand is not so cheap anymore so tourists are looking at the new Asean such as Myanmar and Cambodia.. Ok, it does not yet have the infrastructure of Thailand but who cares when you are on holiday.

Add into the mix the terrible publicity of recent years that I won't repeat as we all know about it and it's not difficult to see why tourism is moving away (and it seems to be a pretty rapid decline)

The delusion of officials in Thailand is that they can attract high numbers of high end tourists but like most things that come from some official or another it's hot air with no substance. High end tourists may have some options in Thailand but they are pretty limited and if you have real money there are many more attractive destinations to chose from.

So, Thailand is heading for a very tough time. Falling tourist numbers, falling foreign investment, falls in exports,,, none of it looks very good right now.

With the Philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar and Cambodia all holding their arms wide open and welcoming investment, tourists etc and of course being cheaper as well what does Thailand do? All of its neighbours are growing fast, the Philippines will overtake Thailand in GDP in the next 2 years and is already a bigger consumer in many categories and its still growing by 8% with a bigger population.

It is not until Thailand realises and admits that it is losing to it's Asean neighbours that some plan will form that starts to turn things around,, but I won't hold my breath for that admission from any Thai official.

We all know they will never admit they are loosing,

Loose to Cambodia, big face loss, lol

I think Thailand has seen its glory days

13 hours ago, Honthy said:

How many tourists come from Andora, Bhutan, Ethiopia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, San Mario all together in a year?

Now, I am quite positive their munber will be multiplied....

Probably around 12, all told. 

9 hours ago, peter48 said:

Well with post Brexit kicking in over the next few years they have to compensate for less Brits hit by falling pound, falling pensions, less wealth for trips , higher prices at home , less jobs and the lost 500 million EU consumers that UK currently easily trades with. That's what happens when people listen to right wing demagogues  like Farage

We arnt all worried like you say,

And as for loosing 500 million EU consumers, I would say the handcuffs have come off and can no freely trade with the rest of the world, not that believe that the uk will loose 500 million consumers, just more bull

3 hours ago, wealthychef said:

"The two measures are expected to increase tourist arrivals by over 357,000 during the three-month festive season, generating revenue amounting to 28,703 million baht. They will help create over 62,000 temporary jobs and increase the government’s tax revenue by about 1,200 million baht."  

How are they going to measure this to see if they were right about their numbers?  Hogwash.  

Sir Winston Churchill said: "There are lies, damned lies and statistics!"

3 hours ago, TerrylSky said:

More illogical decisions from the immigration dept. Seems like they should waive fees from the countries that bring in the money; as well as make it easier for citizens of these countries (U.S. European, etc.) to live here - instead of spending money to travel elsewhere for a visa. I spend a lot of money going "on vacation" to get a visa that I would rather have spent in my economic depleted village for a variety of services and goods, as well as expand my volunteer work. Can't spend money and perform volunteer work in Thailand if I'm busy getting a visa in another country every 3 months.

I sure hope you also have a valid work permit for that volunteer work.

12 hours ago, Thechook said:

According to TAT the country is bursting at the seams with tourists so where are they going to put them?  Going to need more hotels, prostitutes and ladyboys.

From the way people are talking on the other topic about the new 10 visa requirements, all the people currently on retirement visas are about to be kicked out.  Maybe to make room for Chinese and Indians?  With cheap prices for must-sell condos about to go on the market?

A lot of amusing posts on this thread - enjoyed reading them.

However, in the back of all our minds must be the thought 'Does someone planning a holiday on the other side of the world, really make a decision on where to go on the basis of saving 1000 baht?'

The Thai cabinet seem to think so.

20 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

Gee, why not Lichtenstein and Monte Carlo?

Or how about including a few nationalities that spend some real money on vacation?

This piece of news and your question underline a real problem in this country: tourists (or expats) coming from countries considered 'rich' are seen as cash cows. Full stop. They're treated as if their money came from the sky, or the lottery, or some undeserved inheritance, never from their own hard work. They're expected to pay whatever price they're charged and accept it with a smile and a wai. If they dare to complain they're immediately called 'stingy' and/or 'poor' (farang kee nok) and deemed unworthy to be in the LOS.

Say you want to purchase something without a price tag on it and you ask for the price. The salesperson hesitates and beats around the bush, long enough for you to figure out that there is no real price to that product and you're about to be overcharged. The price is finally told, and it's outrageous. You then laugh (at best) and you ask "why so expensive?". The person shoots back : "it's nothing for you!"... and that sums it all up.

Frankly, the cretinism reflected in this attitude is fathomless, and it's part of the reason why Thailand has gradually lost the 'quality tourists' they're always craving for. To them 'quality' is just another word for rich, but guess what, this kind of tourists are also the ones who tend to use their brain, and who don't like to be abused. Rich people, especially, are particularly sensitive on that issue.

Many expats, I regret to say, are stupid enough to go along with the mainstream Thai attitude, obviously as a pathetic way to brag about their wealth. This forum is full of examples. These 'costly Charlies' never miss a chance to make fun of other expats who dare to suggest that, for example, 2400 bahts for a return ticket by the soon-to-come ferry between Pattaya and Hua Hin is twice what it should be.

What we're ready to pay for a product or a service is what we consider a fair price. It doesn't matter if it's 100 or 1 million baht, it just has to be the fair price, or else we feel cheated. Who likes to feel cheated, except the imbecile who thinks that the Thais will admire him for paying some ridiculous fare without a word ? What the Thais will feel is contempt, certainly not admiration. And I would agree with them on that one.

20 hours ago, ginjag said:

Greenland---outer Mongolia---Falklands----Malta

There isn't  an outer Mongolia. There is only the independent country of Mongolia. And Inner Mongolia is a part of China. Mongolia is worth visiting, with only a population of 2.5 million it is the least inhabitated country in the world, and because of its huge size the highest country country overall. 

16 hours ago, BuckBee said:

62,000 inobs ! how ?

TAT keep coming up with record breaking figures and yet they seem keen diversify on low quality sector when it all supposedly about quality touristI oozing money temple spotting :-S

Tourism looks well down to me and retail taking massive hits with shop changes monthly .

Hard time coming for gov employees In Thailand too, they have to show that working and doing something otherwise could face personel reduction. Like everywhere now politicuans and gov people live out of rweality. They thought all farangs have big money that grows like papaya on trees and made life hard with visa, stay permit etc etc untill one day most leave or don't come anymore. 1000 baht discount.....is like dust In the wind

16 hours ago, BuckBee said:

62,000 inobs ! how ?

TAT keep coming up with record breaking figures and yet they seem keen diversify on low quality sector when it all supposedly about quality touristI oozing money temple spotting :-S

Tourism looks well down to me and retail taking massive hits with shop changes monthly .

Hard time coming for gov employees In Thailand too, they have to show that working and doing something otherwise could face personel reduction. Like everywhere now politicuans and gov people live out of rweality. They thought all farangs have big money that grows like papaya on trees and made life hard with visa, stay permit etc etc untill one day most leave or don't come anymore. 1000 baht discount.....is like dust In the wind

45 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

This piece of news and your question underline a real problem in this country: tourists (or expats) coming from countries considered 'rich' are seen as cash cows. Full stop. They're treated as if their money came from the sky, or the lottery, or some undeserved inheritance, never from their own hard work. They're expected to pay whatever price they're charged and accept it with a smile and a wai. If they dare to complain they're immediately called 'stingy' and/or 'poor' (farang kee nok) and deemed unworthy to be in the LOS.

Say you want to purchase something without a price tag on it and you ask for the price. The salesperson hesitates and beats around the bush, long enough for you to figure out that there is no real price to that product and you're about to be overcharged. The price is finally told, and it's outrageous. You then laugh (at best) and you ask "why so expensive?". The person shoots back : "it's nothing for you!"... and that sums it all up.

Frankly, the cretinism reflected in this attitude is fathomless, and it's part of the reason why Thailand has gradually lost the 'quality tourists' they're always craving for. To them 'quality' is just another word for rich, but guess what, this kind of tourists are also the ones who tend to use their brain, and who don't like to be abused. Rich people, especially, are particularly sensitive on that issue.

Many expats, I regret to say, are stupid enough to go along with the mainstream Thai attitude, obviously as a pathetic way to brag about their wealth. This forum is full of examples. These 'costly Charlies' never miss a chance to make fun of other expats who dare to suggest that, for example, 2400 bahts for a return ticket by the soon-to-come ferry between Pattaya and Hua Hin is twice what it should be.

What we're ready to pay for a product or a service is what we consider a fair price. It doesn't matter if it's 100 or 1 million baht, it just has to be the fair price, or else we feel cheated. Who likes to feel cheated, except the imbecile who thinks that the Thais will admire him for paying some ridiculous fare without a word ? What the Thais will feel is contempt, certainly not admiration. And I would agree with them on that one.

You make some very good points. But, let's remember that, from a national economy point of view, no country promotes tourism merely to afford its people the pleasure of mingling with foreigners. So, maximizing revenue per head is always a prime objective, as cold as that sounds. Thailand has a long and inglorious history of not knowing how to do that consistently.

On the subject of pricing: In a (relatively) free market economy, the price you pay for a product or service, is usually what most customers consider its worth to them. Of course if pricing is not uniform or transparent, there will eventually be resentment and backlash.

I completely disagree with their calculation of 357000  extra tourists.  I spent more than a minute with my calculator and I made it 356000, so once again the projetced figures are wildly optimistic.  As for the spending figures, I am not sure, because no-one has told me how much these extra tourists are bringing with them.

Archived