A look at 5 Trump business ties that pose conflicts

webfact

14 hours ago, Opl said:

From the link you shared :  

Vice President-elect Mike Pence said: “I’m very confident that the President-elect and his extraordinary talented family are going to work with the best legal minds in this country and create the proper separation from their business enterprise during his duties as President of the United States.”

I guess everyone  working for this administration will have to be totally in line.  

Or is M. Pence always so oily? "extraordinary talented family "

Too much flattery is like insult to your intelligence ...

I get a feeling that the two will be combined and have the input of the whole family. Instead of taking advise from advisers at daily briefings world decisions will be made around the Trump breakfast table. Pass the jam. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its obviously true that politicians should have no interest in their own businesses etc., but this never really happens.

If he moves his children out of the political world and says that they are running his businesses - who would believe him?  Certainly not me.

Its irrelevant anyway as we're all waiting to see what happens after he becomes President.  Will he pursue policies that are beneficial to wealthy businesses, or will he pursue policies that benefit those who voted for him?

Meanwhile, I'm getting tired of the bias shown by whoever is selecting the headlines/threads - and the bias is very obvious not only in this case (Trump being elected), but also in the Europe/Brexit threads :sad:.

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Its obviously true that politicians should have no interest in their own businesses etc., but this never really happens.

If he moves his children out of the political world and says that they are running his businesses - who would believe him?  Certainly not me.

Its irrelevant anyway as we're all waiting to see what happens after he becomes President.  Will he pursue policies that are beneficial to wealthy businesses, or will he pursue policies that benefit those who voted for him?

Meanwhile, I'm getting tired of the bias shown by whoever is selecting the headlines/threads - and the bias is very obvious not only in this case (Trump being elected), but also in the Europe/Brexit threads :sad:.

this is not the only concern one reasonably can have about his presidency - in the continuation of his campaign-  so, if there is no ethics at the very head of the Administration, you can not pretend to drain the swamp.

"when you sweep the stairs, you start from the top" ( Amish proverb)

Edited by Opl

3 minutes ago, Opl said:

this is not the only concern one reasonably can have about his presidency - in the continuation of his campaign-  so, if there is no ethics at the very head of the Administration, you can not pretend to drain the swamp.

"when you sweep the stairs, you start from the top" ( Amish proverb)

Perhaps he's wealthy and confident enough to have changed?

I doubt it too, but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until we see his policies on becoming President.

33 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Perhaps he's wealthy and confident enough to have changed?

I doubt it too, but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until we see his policies on becoming President.

Wealthy and confident, yes - but qualified?

Just think of that : right after he won the elections, he had his very first meeting with a foreign leader, Japan's Abe : " Experts expressed surprise that Trump did not request a State Department briefing before his meeting— but had Ivanka and Kushner in the room. Seeking counsel might have appeared all the more pertinent since Trump had alarmed Tokyo policymakers during his campaign by musing about pulling the thousands of US troops from the region and suggesting that officially pacifist Japan may need nuclear weapons."

https://naijadailyfeed.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/trump-makes-transition-to-power-a-family-affair/

16 minutes ago, Opl said:

Wealthy and confident, yes - but qualified?

Just think of that : right after he won the elections, he had his very first meeting with a foreign leader, Japan's Abe : " Experts expressed surprise that Trump did not request a State Department briefing before his meeting— but had Ivanka and Kushner in the room. Seeking counsel might have appeared all the more pertinent since Trump had alarmed Tokyo policymakers during his campaign by musing about pulling the thousands of US troops from the region and suggesting that officially pacifist Japan may need nuclear weapons."

https://naijadailyfeed.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/trump-makes-transition-to-power-a-family-affair/

Perhaps he thought state department briefings were just the 'same old/same old'?  i.e. he thought they would tell him the establishment view point rather than the viewpoint of those that voted for him?

We will only know in a few months time.

Psychopaths differ from normal criminals because they don't really care which type of laws they break — they'll break any of them, under the right circumstances.

In August, Dr. Kevin Dutton of Oxford University ranked US president-elect Donald Trump as "above Adolf Hitler" on a standard scale used to measure potential psychopathy in adults, according to the science news site Phys.org (Hillary Clinton scored pretty highly, too).

http://www.businessinsider.com/hare-psychopath-checklist-test-sociopath-2016-11/#1-do-you-have-excess-glibness-or-superficial-charm-1

(take the test for yourself)

1 minute ago, rijb said:

Psychopaths differ from normal criminals because they don't really care which type of laws they break — they'll break any of them, under the right circumstances.

In August, Dr. Kevin Dutton of Oxford University ranked US president-elect Donald Trump as "above Adolf Hitler" on a standard scale used to measure potential psychopathy in adults, according to the science news site Phys.org (Hillary Clinton scored pretty highly, too).

http://www.businessinsider.com/hare-psychopath-checklist-test-sociopath-2016-11/#1-do-you-have-excess-glibness-or-superficial-charm-1

Bloody hell - I thought I'd read most of the rhetoric against Trump, but this stands alone in bitterness!

But I'd be interested to hear about the people he's murdered to support a psychopath rating.

Edited by dick dasterdly

10 hours ago, Thrilla said:

Oh, I'm awfully sorry, yes this is the 'precrime' thread.. 

...not crimes already committed to be investigated and tried

Those 'crimes' have been investigated, result: no prosecution.

But that is not the reason I posted, I posted because this thread is about Trump, and has absolutely nothing to do with HRC.

8 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

You're right, he should set the doors wide open for immigrants, and make from the US the same lovely continent Europe is now.

It's a tough row to hoe.  However, many migrants to the US are trying to play by the rules - and Trump is threatening to kick 'em out.  It's hard to tell, 'cause Trump changes ideas from hour to hour.  His flip flopping unclear musings on the topic also threaten to tear families apart.  Several people, who know Trump well, says he usually adopts the policy of the last person to leave the room.   And unless your great great grandfather's name is something like Running Elk, you're an immigrant also.

2 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It's a tough row to hoe.  However, many migrants to the US are trying to play by the rules - and Trump is threatening to kick 'em out.  It's hard to tell, 'cause Trump changes ideas from hour to hour.  His flip flopping unclear musings on the topic also threaten to tear families apart.  Several people, who know Trump well, says he usually adopts the policy of the last person to leave the room.   And unless your great great grandfather's name is something like Running Elk, you're an immigrant also.

I doubt that Running Elk ever been to Europe, but I'm very well aware how Dear Angela has messed up the lives of most of the Europeans.

Immigrants usually enrich communities in the US.  With few exceptions, they're hard working, and they commit less crimes than good ol' boys.  I resided a quarter century in Nevada County, California before moving to Thailand.  There were cultural events nearly every day of the year.  There seemed to be as many nationalities in attendance as the UN's general assembly, and more ethnic diversity than Hong Kong's Chung King Palace market.  

The people who spook me are the inbred white folks who fondle their guns.  Trump's type.

10 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

More like the left have cried wolf so much that no one is listening to their nonsense anymore. That is how the Donald got elected president.

That still doesn't mean Trump isn't a wolf, though.

9 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Let me toss this into the hopper: Donald Trump is not yet the president. He is still a private citizen until January 20. So I assume this means he can take all the "gifts" he wants, doesn't need to turn them over to national archives, nothing. So listen up countries wanting undue influence: get your "gifts" in now while you can! Donald is a bit busy now, so will write "thank you" notes later, sometime late January.....

Private citizens are not accorded Secret Service protection, access to presidential daily briefings nor do the often meet with foreign  leaders and dignitaries.

4 hours ago, rijb said:

I think there were two separate announcements from professional organizations of mental health practitioners, which called upon members to avoid making such observations. Considering the OTT nature of the example cited, sounds like reasonable advice. IMO, such "observations" do not reflect all that well on the professionalism of those publishing it.

Edited by Morch

15 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

What does the Law actually spell out?

Any chance you have a copy to post ?

Under the US Constitution, Article II, Section 4: 

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I highlighted "Bribery" as this would correspond to some of the conflict of interests being bantered about. Any kind of Quid Pro Quo that results in an identifiable exchange between the contribution/gift and official acts would be considered bribery. It can actually be that a contribution or gift that was accepted even before a person officially become the President and the corresponding act was committed while the person was the President would still be counted as Bribery.

Edited by Silurian

12 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Let me toss this into the hopper: Donald Trump is not yet the president. He is still a private citizen until January 20. So I assume this means he can take all the "gifts" he wants, doesn't need to turn them over to national archives, nothing. So listen up countries wanting undue influence: get your "gifts" in now while you can! Donald is a bit busy now, so will write "thank you" notes later, sometime late January.....

Gifts are acceptable provided the value doesn't exceed $375: https://ethics.od.nih.gov/topics/giftforn.htm

I doubt if even Trump is stupid enough to accept one which exceeds that value, but when it comes to his own projects which his presidency can influence it's a different story. There's one controversy doing the rounds already which is Trump's plan to build another one of his 'towers' in Argentina: http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/25/13729548/controversy-trump-tower-project-argentina-macri-ivanka

That would one could contravene the Emoluments Clause according to another Vox report: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/23/13715150/donald-trump-emoluments-clause-constitution

It is nice to know that Donald isn't going to make any money directly from the government while he is POTUS. I'm sure that any profit made from the Secret Service staying at Trump Tower will go to charity.

Secret Service considering renting a floor at Trump Tower to protect future first family

http://us.cnn.com/2016/11/25/politics/secret-service-trump-tower/index.html

It's already costing the City of New York a million dollars a day  to protect this huckster and his spawn.

New York City Is Spending $1 Million a Day to Protect Donald Trump and His Family

"Protecting Donald Trump and his family members costs New York City more than $1 million every day, city officials said."

"The expenses come as city police have been assigned to Trump, his adult children and his grandchildren, who all live in New York and can receive Secret Service protection, NYPD deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism John Miller told WCBS on Monday."

"The steep costs are not expected to dip very much once Trump is inaugurated because his wife, Melania Trump, and their 10-year-old son, Barron, are not moving to the White House, at least until Barron is done with school, CNN Money reported. Trump has also said he plans to frequently return to New York."

http://fortune.com/2016/11/21/new-york-city-police-nypd-donald-trump-tower-security/

On your dime Lemmings. :thumbsup:

Edited by iReason

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

Those 'crimes' have been investigated, result: no prosecution.

But that is not the reason I posted, I posted because this thread is about Trump, and has absolutely nothing to do with HRC.

..Then why bother posting again !

2. These crimes have not been investigated - but will be. More mis-information

On 11/24/2016 at 1:12 PM, Grubster said:

Are you sure about the gift thing, I would think it an insult to not accept it. We should send the statue of liberty back I guess. I don't know who was president at that time but I'm sure it could have swayed a decision or two.

They accept the gifts, but don't keep them personally, the White House or Presidential Office ...there is a place that documents and keeps these gifts ...well, this is my understanding ...I'm am sure they don't accept bags of cash in this manner, or otherwise unacceptable gifts .

A company controlled by D. Trump , secretly conducted business in Communist Cuba during Fidel Castro’s presidency despite strict American trade bans that made such undertakings illegal, according to interviews with former Trump executives, internal company records and court filings.

http://europe.newsweek.com/donald-trump-cuban-embargo-castro-violated-florida-504059?rm=eu

Donald Trump's Conflicts of Interest: A Crib Sheet

Sudden progress on a Trump-associated property in the nation of Georgia suggests the former Soviet satellite may be trying to curry favor with the president-elect.

Below is an attempt to catalogue the more clear-cut examples of conflicts of interest that have emerged so far; the most recent entries appear at the top.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/11/donald-trump-conflicts-of-interests/508382/