African Scam Artists Invade Thaivisa.com

Dutchy

Dr.P, I don't think she will mind as she got a new hobby,she saying something about feeding the ducks,and if that the case,she gonna have to go buy some as we don't have any,then stop at the feed store and get some grain to feed em.

So she will be to busy feeding the ducks to pay much attn. to me,don't ya think. :o

did she buy a new kitchen grinder as well ?

Well something you could do with these 419 scam artists is to sell them decent keyboards that offer lower case letters as well as upper! Every 419 scam email I receive always seems to be in upper case only :o

HALLO!!! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? HAVE I GOT YOUR ATTENTION?? :D

idiots out somewhere who fall for this scam.

wonder what their succes rate is?

Quite good apparantly

The last time i was in the UK i saw a TV programme about this.

Nigerian scam artists even had meetings with undercover reporters in Holland they of course were exposed but they really do milk tens of thousands of pounds from people, most are too ashamed to go to the police.

Another one is a phone call out of the blue telling some lucky soul that they have won the Canadian lottery and all they have to do is deposit a load of money in a bank account.

It's all to with greed some of the people interviewed (out of focus by the way) had been taken for plenty,one woman had donated,ready?sitting comfortably?the best part of £200,000 yup two hundred thousand pounds to these con artists. her family were non too pleased she said.

I wonder why?

I always wondered who would fall for something like this.

Can greed make you sooo stupid?

Play with them, give them a bank account (fictive) but do it by an untracable e-mail address. Could be some fun if you have nothing to do. :o

Anyway, Thailand has it's very own 419 scam that has been going on for ages ..

'Hey you nice man, I wait for you. You send me money each month ok?'

'You look after me, now buffulo really sick, must go hospital, you good guy help me'

And how many people fall for these scams?? :o

Axel

At the risk of labouring the point.

From what I gathered from the TV programme they are quite savvy.

They write in upper case and make deliberate spelling mistakes etc. To let prospective victims think they are dumb as they are.

I believe one guy in Scandanavia walked into the Nigerian embassy there and shot dead an official because he lost all his money through one of these scams.

As to winding them up, the police in the UK said don't do it just ignore them.

I can't write anymore as I am in negotiations with a guy who wants to sell me tower bridge in London and he has only one left.

How can I let an opportunity like this slip away?

Well something you could do with these 419 scam artists is to sell them decent keyboards that offer lower case letters as well as upper! Every 419 scam email I receive always seems to be in upper case only :D

HALLO!!! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? HAVE I GOT YOUR ATTENTION?? :D

It's not the keyboards.

All of them are missing their left pinkies, having had to cut 'em off at the swearing-in ritual on joining the 419 gang!

:o

Yes, these scammers are still trying it, partly because there are enough fools who take up their 'offers'.

In the past few years I've come across one farang and one Thai, both of whom should know better, who have fallen for one of these scams.

The farang, a petroleum engineer, had worked for several years in Nigeria, and several other countries in Africa, but he blindly went ahead and gave details of not one, but several bank accounts, in both Thailand and UK. He also forwarded the original e-mail to several family members in UK, suggesting strongly that they get involved.

The Thai, a respected businessman, gave bank details, plus also quoted a lot of competitive information about his business ventures both in Thailand and several surrounding countries, plus full details of the capitalization of his companies and shareholders names and their ownership percentages. Also quoted full details of his land holdings. He asked me to proof read his English. As soon as I realized what it was, I refused to read it any further ,and almost begged him to not get involved. He got someone else to do the proof reading. I don't know the end result.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Found this one today in my hotmail.

Sent : Tuesday, 25 May 2004 12:50:55 AM

To : [email protected]

Subject : URGENT PROPOSAL

Phone num: +27 83 489 0039

URGENT PROPOSAL

I am Dr. Samuel Zuma, a native of Capetown in South Africa, and a director with the Ministry of Minerals and Minning (Contract Award Committee). I got your names and contact details from the South Africa Exchange Information On-line Service, on my personal programme search (on the internet) for a reputable company or individual to assist me sincerely & confidentially. I found your profile very satisfactory,and decided to contact you immediately.

1. PURPOSES :

ON BEHALF OF MY COLLEAGUES IN THE DEPARTMENT AND OTHER OFFICERS IN CHARGE OF

OFF- SHORE REMITTANCES IN THIS CORPORATION, WE ARE SEEKING YOUR ASSISTANCE IN THE TRANSFER OF TWENTY ONE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS

(US$21,500,000.00); TO YOUR FOREIGN ACCOUNT, FOR FURTHER PRIVATE INVESTMENT

PURPOSES WITH BENEFITS. HENCE OUR URGENT REQUEST FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

2.SOURCE OF FUND:

THIS AMOUNT TO BE TRANSFERRED INTO YOUR FOREIGN ACCOUNT ACCRUED FROM

OVER - INVOICED CONTRACT AMOUNTS FOR THE REFURBISHMENT OF MINES AND SUPPLIES IN KRUGGER GOLD-MINE CORPORATION SECTOR IN THE YEAR 1995 BY EXPATRIATE COMPANIES BY THE LATE MR SMITH .B. ANDREAS (DECEASED). THE CONTRACT WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY VALUED FOR ONE HUNDRED MILLION U.S DOLLARS WAS MANIPULATED TO READ ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY ONE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND US DOLLARS. THE EXTRA (US$21,500,000.00) IS WHAT WE WANT TO TRANSFER INTO YOUR FOREIGN / RELIABLE ACCOUNT. THIS CONTRACT HAD SINCE BEEN EXECUTED AND THE CONTRACTORS HAD BEEN PAID ALL THEIR CONTRACT BILLS REMAINING US$21,500,000.00 NOW AS COMMISSION FOR ME AND MY COLLEAGUES, IN THE ACCOUNT OF LATE MR. SMITH .B. ANDREAS.

3.REQUIREMENT :

WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU DURING YOUR REPLY ARE:

A. YOUR NAMES AND CONTACT ADDRESS, YOUR PRIVATE PHONE AND FAX NUMBERS.

B. THE NAME OF YOUR BANK, PHONE AND TELEX NUMBERS, YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER WITH CONTACT ADDRESS, FOR SUBMISSION TO A COMMERCIAL BANK HERE IN JOHANNESBURG,

SOUTH AFRICA; WHERE THIS MONEY WILL BE LODGED OVERSEAS.

C. YOUR COMPANY'S LETTER- HEADED PAPER AND PROFORMA, SIGNED AND STAMPED.

D. SWIFT CODE & TRANSFER CODE OF BANK.

E. YOUR PERSONAL COMPANY/WORK PROFILE.

F. COPY OF INTERNATIONAL IDENTIFICATION.

G. YOUR FULL CO-OPERATION / CONFIDENTIALITY WITH US TO ACTUALLY COMPLETE THE TRANSFER SUCCESSFULLY.

4.DISBURSEMENT:

WE HAVE RESOLVED THAT YOU WILL TAKE 30% OF THE TOTAL AMOUNT FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE TO, AND CO-OPERATION WITH US, TO CLAIM THE CONTRACT OVER-INVOICED MONEY HERE IN SOUTH AFRICA WITH YOUR OVERSEAS ASSISTANCE; FOR THE FACT THAT WE ARE CIVIL SERVANTS AND ARE PROHIBITED FROM OPERATING ACCOUNTS IN OUR NAMES IN FOREIGN CURRENCIES. 5% HAS BEEN EAR-MARKED FOR ANY MISCELLANEOUS EXPENSES INCURRED BY BOTH PARTIES DURING THIS BUSINESS, AND 65% IS FOR MY COLLEAGUES AND MYSELF, ON THE SUCCESSFUL CONCLUSION OF THIS BUSINESS,WITH YOUR FULL CO-OPERATION.

5.SECURITY:

ALL MODALITIES TO EFFECT THE PAYMENT AND SUBSEQUENT TRANSFER OF THIS MONEY HAD BEEN WORKED OUT.THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% RISK FREE. THOUGH, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO TREAT THIS BUSINESS WITH STRICT CONFIDENCE AS WE EXPECT THIS TRANSFER TO LAST FOR 14 BANKING DAYS FROM THE DAY WE RECEIVE YOUR BANKING INFORMATION TO FACILITATE CORRECT REMITTANCE / CREDIT OF THE MONEY . PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT THE NATURE OF YOUR BUSINESS ALSO WILL NOT NECESSARILY DETERMINE THE SUCCESS OF THIS TRANSACTION PROVIDED YOUR ACCOUNT IS VERY RELIABLE AND CAN ACCOMODATE THE AMOUNT INVOLVED.

Regards,

Dr Samuel Zuma

Sounds good and 100% risk free :o

Nigerian scam reporting:

If you want to report the Nigerian 419 scam, first open the complete header of the email, then forward it to:

:<[email protected]>, <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>

You can also add the abuse people at the domain it was sent from, for example, [email protected] or [email protected]. You can lookup abuse addresses at http://www.abuse.net/lookup.phtml

Just put in the domain name, such as yahoo.com and click on lookup.

Note: If you don't know how to open the complete header, then don't bother reporting. The header information is essential to trying to track the originator.

Here's an example: (I don't have the Benigina email, but here's one from

To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Cc:

Subject: GREAT OPPORTUNITY for us..PLS RESPOND URGENTLY!!!

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 20:25:38 +0100

Return-Path: <[email protected]>

Delivered-To: [email protected]

Received: (qmail 4488 invoked by uid 0); 23 May 2004 19:25:49 -0000

X-Ob-Received: from unknown (205.158.62.179)by mta45-2.us4.outblaze.com; 23 May 2004 19:25:49 -0000

Received: from mk-smarthost-3.mail.uk.tiscali.com (mk-smarthost-3.mail.uk.tiscali.com [212.74.114.39])by spf4-1.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id BE3DE20053CFfor <[email protected]>; Sun, 23 May 2004 19:25:48 +0000 (GMT)

Received: from mk-cpfront-4.mail.uk.tiscali.com ([212.74.114.6]:56944 helo=mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com)by mk-smarthost-3.mail.uk.tiscali.com with esmtp (Exim 4.30)id 1BRybJ-0000XH-KE; Sun, 23 May 2004 20:25:37 +0100

Received: from [212.52.155.28] by mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com with HTTP; Sun, 23 May 2004 20:25:38 +0100

Message-Id: <[email protected]>

Reply-To: [email protected]

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If you do an abuse lookup for tiscali.co.uk, you will get [email protected] and [email protected] . You can add either or both to the To addressees

Note that the sender puts in a Reply-To: [email protected]. So you will want to lookup post.cz and add the result [email protected] to the list of To addressees.

Most ISPs will permanently block addresses of Nigerian scammers, so no one can reply to them.

Another to be wary of peoples, is some a-hole masquerading as a member of the Rotary Club of Ghana. His name is Mr Kelko Sato.......well that was the one he used here.....and he has copies of peoples credit cards, passports and so on, who must have been tourists in Africa at some stage I guess. But these details could have been stolen from any country.

He attempts to make mail order purchases through Thailand. He is playing on the communication problem for some Thai peoples who dont automatically see a scam as we farang may do. The credit cards and passports did not match ! This idiot has caused quite a bit of trouble to the company I work with. Unfortunately it was not brought to my attention until it was 'almost' too late. And 500,000 baht worth of trouble too. He is very bold too.....he even called the office a few times, from Sth Africa, in organising his scam so to staff it all seemed legit. Beware !!

All you clever guys are correct to view these emails from Africa with the scorn that you do. People as clever and incisive as you will never be taken in by these charlatons. African millionaires!! Hah. We all know that most of the money is in the USA, and if you'll send me your financial bona fides, have I got a deal for you! I have started a nauga ranch, which still requires some further capitalization. You smart people must realize that naugas are on the brink of being declared an endangered species, and that the price for naugahyde (sic) will obviously skyrocket, making us all rich. Hurry & send me your money!!! It's the chance of a lifetime. Hugh Bicquitous, President American Nauga Farms

I saw something on the news in Canada a few years ago about a guy who had been scammed by these guys in Quebec that phone you up and tell you that you have won a big prize but you have to send them money for some reason first. This guy had gone to the media to complain after he sent them money and didnt get his prize.He also went to the police who wouldnt help him he said. The newsreporter went to talk to the police about it and the cop pulled out a file on this guy who had fallen for the same kind of scam about 6 or 7 times!

You guys might want to check out http://www.scamorama.com/ to see the full extent these "lads" will go to. I particularly liked the "A Tale of Two Baits" submitted by Unkindly Contributor. An absolute masterpiece. Regarding Bronco's earlier post, I have sent a reply to Dr. Zuma. The game is on. Let's have some fun with the Mugu.

I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
All you clever guys are correct to view these emails from Africa with the scorn that you do. People as clever and incisive as you will never be taken in by these charlatons. African millionaires!! Hah. We all know that most of the money is in the USA, and if you'll send me your financial bona fides, have I got a deal for you! I have started a nauga ranch, which still requires some further capitalization. You smart people must realize that naugas are on the brink of being declared an endangered species, and that the price for naugahyde (sic) will obviously skyrocket, making us all rich. Hurry & send me your money!!! It's the chance of a lifetime. Hugh Bicquitous, President American Nauga Farms

This is another scammer wanting to make a profit!!!

Look for selfless motives to support worthwhile initiatives:

I have recently started an ecologically sustained project breeding Phuyanaks in a watersnake farm in a Chayo-Praya estuary. I employ reformed bargirls and former drug-addicts, and the project is supported by the Association of the Disadvantaged, Nigeria branch. We are still offering sponsors a chance to join in breeding celestial beings, you too could be a fosterparent to a baby waterdragon!

The skins of the bred animals will be on display and for sale at the Amazing Thailand Fashion Show 2005, with sponsors names displayed.

Another to be wary of peoples, is some a-hole masquerading as a member of the Rotary Club of Ghana. His name is Mr Kelko Sato.......

I have something to do with them to. I was in a fight with on of the local Ghanien here in bangkok and i let my rottis bite a couple of times. Just a littttle..........

Any way after he fled he sent some thai thugs over to scare me did not scare me much then he called the coops they just laught and send him home. He did not want to pay for my service i beat him up totally ok by most police. Anyway after 1 month he come draging with some stamped paper from kula lumpur with the Rotary Club of Ghana included. I guess the police beilve it was real beucase i had to pay 5000 THB to the police for his injuries. I wasted another 5000 that night on some local Mc taxi boys visiting somebodys home.....but it was worth it.

So yes look out for this bunch they meet every sunday at curch in petchburi 17.

:o

I sent him my ex-wife's bank account number :o

Is that the account with your previous wealth in it Bronco ? Pre your graduation cum laude at the Family Court of Australia. :D

Ex is sheep shagger Doc and I got off light, her lawywer forgot about Super amongst other things.