Sophon: No more BBC World

eddi

I watch it online , all the BBC channels for free thanks to a VPN service.  Crystal clear pictures on my 50" TV.  Anyone still on cable subscriptions are living in the stone age. 

On 26/11/2016 at 9:30 AM, Guderian said:

To be honest, with the Malaysian feed, the frequent Astro adverts, the 2 minute time delay, and the lousy sound quality I don't think BBC World on Sophon was really worth having. They'll probably replace it with the BBC World Hindi service, that would be popular in this town.

It was the best of the bunch of news channels! The others being Fox News, Al Jazeera with the picture size screwed up, Bloomberg and one form Japan! Fortunately I can get BBC on by streaming it. It seems ridiculous to put that Logo screen up for all this time. I kept expecting it to return. Sure it got boring with it's constant wimmin this, wimmin that and attempts to change the world, but kept me somewhat informed over my morning brew.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:06 AM, johng said:

I heard that the "government"  had hired native speakers  of different languages  to sit and monitor  foreign news channels

( BBC and French TV5 )

whenever a report that was "bad" about Thailand came on air  the native speaker  was to inform  "the man in control of the big switch"

and all of a sudden those channels would be "having technical difficulties"

You can try BBC from Filmon.com  ( they might be geo blocking now )  Sky news has a live youtube feed

Been watching CNN today on True and a couple of times the feed has suddenly gone off to be replaced by the message 'Normal programing will return shortly' or suchlike.

So, what was being broadcast at the time of the shutout? It was a report of the Lopburi annual monkey feast.:shock1: 

If anyone gets hacked off with all the news repeats on the int'l channels, I suggest watching the channel that shows the Thai music VDOs, the ones that are always about men playing away and the girl looking all sad and crying. Lots of dancing, lots of nice costumes on the dancing girls, good looking girls crying and being sad, hansum' guys playing away with other good looking girls, easy on the ear music. Great way to pass the time.

It's channel 1 on WETV, don't know about Sophon.

I connect my laptop to my TV using HDMI, and watch shows online.  For in-depth news I like the PBS News Hour (http://www.pbs.org/show/newshour/, from the USA).

For audio only, I like public radio news shows (Morning Edition, Weekend Edition, All Things Considered, On Point, The World, BBC shows, and As It Happens), available at http://wamu.org/programs and other sites.

12 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

surprise surprise! It's back on but in a different location

on my set its on Channel 36 but it means we've lost the Australian channel

I hope the Australia Network channel is not gone permanently, that's the only reason I have Sophon

5 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

I feel the same wayand unfortunately it looks like Australia network has been sacrificed because I can't find it anymore

okay within the last two minutes BBC has disappeared again on Channel 36 (just as I was watching Dateline ) and Australian network has come back on.

I can't keep up with this:saai:

On 11/28/2016 at 4:19 PM, trigpoint said:

The Thai government was,nt happy about the reporting Jonathan Head did for the BBC world news, wouldn't be anything to do with that?

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Lots of people seem to get upset by Head's reporting.  He must be doing something right!

11 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Well Mr bludshot you have the comedy fox news, 3 Russian channels, an Arab news program and Singapore magazine type news and 60 odd channels of complete garbage, happy viewing on sophon.

Ha ha, indeed. Flicking through the channels an exercise in frustration. Only button worth pressing is 'off'...

On 12/5/2016 at 5:44 PM, Asiantravel said:

okay within the last two minutes BBC has disappeared again on Channel 36 (just as I was watching Dateline ) and Australian network has come back on.

I can't keep up with this:saai:

On the version of Sophon I am on, Channel 36 is neither an Australian channel nor the BBC. It is PPTV, a Thai channel.

16 hours ago, Bazle said:

On the version of Sophon I am on, Channel 36 is neither an Australian channel nor the BBC. It is PPTV, a Thai channel.

+1

I might have been a bit harsh in my comments on BBC World earlier. I'm finding now that I miss Aaron Heslehurst's World Business Reports, the guy is entertaining and makes an often dry subject come to life. I also miss the weather forecasts, for some reason Al Jiz doesn't seem to think SE Asia exists, and Euronews only seems to do the current weather status rather than a proper forecast. 

On ‎06‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 10:46 PM, trigpoint said:

Well Mr bludshot you have the comedy fox news, 3 Russian channels, an Arab news program and Singapore magazine type news and 60 odd channels of complete garbage, happy viewing on sophon.

You get KBS World, lucky you. I loved the very long historical dramas. That's not on here.

Up north don't even get Aussie channel which I liked for the Sunday news review.

18 hours ago, Guderian said:

I might have been a bit harsh in my comments on BBC World earlier. I'm finding now that I miss Aaron Heslehurst's World Business Reports, the guy is entertaining and makes an often dry subject come to life.

Seriously? 

18 hours ago, Guderian said:

I might have been a bit harsh in my comments on BBC World earlier. I'm finding now that I miss Aaron Heslehurst's World Business Reports, the guy is entertaining and makes an often dry subject come to life. 

Entertaining, yes, but possibly not intentionally. I enjoyed working out which buzzword or cliche he had latched onto for that day, and then counting the number of times he used it during his presentation.

Archived