SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

• Yes, all foreigners should show proof of insurance or be required to purchase it before entering the Kingdom.
    • No, foreigners should not have to show or purchase insurance.

This poll is closed to new votes

On 12/2/2016 at 7:51 PM, Gerard052 said:

I am one of those "IDIOT TOURIST" and if you don't like it you know what you can do.

Well then if you want to be an IDIOT TOURIST go right ahead, just don't expect your EMBASSY/ Taxpayers at home to foot the bill for you if you become ill, have an accident or croak. 

No accounting for some morons!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/4/2016 at 1:04 AM, Torrens54 said:

Well then if you want to be an IDIOT TOURIST go right ahead, just don't expect your EMBASSY/ Taxpayers at home to foot the bill for you if you become ill, have an accident or croak. 

No accounting for some morons!

If you want to give your money to insurance company, fill your boots, I don't need my embassy or tax payer to pick up the bill, I can take care of it myself.  I have made 6,000 + parachute jumps, many hours of scuba diving, drove a cross country motor bike played a lot of golf and I am still in one piece.  If? if? if?  If your are so afraid of everything, why don't you lock yourself up in your house because if you go outside you might get hit by a car or lightening or something and if you have no insurance you will be in biiiig trouble, you don't want that, do you?  Do whatever your little heart desire, I don't need anybody to tell me what to do or what I should do.

On 12/5/2016 at 9:56 PM, Gerard052 said:

<snip>  I have made 6,000 + parachute jumps, <snip2> Do whatever your little heart desire, I don't need anybody to tell me what to do or what I should do.

Well I certainly would not tell you what to do but these people seem to think that insurance and jumping out of airplanes are not incompatible.

"With our skydivers insurance you can skydive to your heart's content safe in the knowledge that you and your family will be looked after if there was ever an accident."

http://www.sky-cover.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/27/2016 at 0:19 PM, ksamuiguy said:

Travel insurance is inexpensive if purchased in your home country, coverage for asia in very reasonable.

sure travel insurance may be in expensive, Not for expats over 60 years of age. I am sure you get what you pay for.

I am one of those "IDIOT TOURIST" and if you don't like it you know what you can do.

An obviously short-sighted answer since it's obviously more about what YOU can do when YOU have a medical emergency and having no coverage are left to your lonely anticipation of the hereafter... Expecting others to pull your own weight is sooooo lame...

• 3 months later...

Whatever the decision is, recisiprocity is a bitch. If done as a requirement for US tourist Visa issuance, most Thais would not qualify as US health insurance as implemented under the Obama Administration isn't affordable!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The only way for this to be practical for short term visitors would be to have a mandatory Govt sponsored or approved selection of Thailand specific policies purchased on arrival or online.  How could the Thai authority validate insurance from dozens of countries? It would just spawn online fake insurance as they now have with "onward ticket" scams. 

I have never purchased travel insurance. I have through my employer ( US based) top rated Worldwide medical cover. For Thailand though there are only a few facilities that support direct billing and the way it works is I go anywhere self-pay anyway and apply later for repayment. This all comes down to a plastic card written in English that actually says  "This card is not a Guarantee of Cover". What is a Thai IO supposed to make of that? I also have the card in an APP on my smartphone.

I also get from my employers the   "InternationalSOS" card which is not insurance but some kind of network that coordinates services and communications in case of trouble.  Of course also high limit credit cards, and access to cash. My job requires almost constant international travel anyway so I would have to purchase a full-time plan of "travel insurance" anyway so it seems redundant.

Also I have read the fine print in some of these travel insurance policies notice they exclude for me normal activities such as "cycling" and "training for any sport event". So when I'm out on my run training for  a 10k or HM get clipped by a Tuk-Tuk not covered?

Useless.

Archived