Overland From Thailand To Europe

Domen

Hello,

I am thinking to buy Toyota Vigo Hilux 4x4 here in Thailand and drive overland to Europe.

Has anyone of you done something like that?

I am wondering where is the best way to drive across, where to obtain CARNET in Thailand, were to arrange visas, etc...

Any info would be more than apreciated!

Thanks and best wishes,

Domen :o

Edited by george

Looking for something to do are we tomorrow, it wont be that boring you know, only one day public holiday etc.

But mind you if you did do it, it would be a hoot. Going alone but would be no fun, take a little tg with you is my advice...but then again, all them other countries on the way...yeah your right, go alone or take a mate with you would be better, always better to travel in a pack.

I wanted to do shit like this when I was younger, had the vehicle I wanted to use, plans all laid out for its overhaul into a travelling machine.

But then kids come along and everything else. Never regret it, but if you can do it, do it while you can.

Still have the plans for my vehicle, just have to put in 2 extra seats and beds now, one day.

Hello,

I am thinking to buy Toyota Vigo Hilux 4x4 here in Thailand and drive overland to Europe.

Has anyone of you done something like that?

I am wondering where is the best way to drive across, where to obtain CARNET in Thailand, were to arrange visas, etc...

Any info would be more than apreciated!

Thanks and best wishes,

Cant help with advice on this route, I did it UK to Cape Town and back across Africa in a Land Rover, I really wish I was in a position to do this trip with you. Follow your dream, do it, but dont take a Thai girl with you, she'll be no help whatsoever, only entertainment and the Visa problems will be horrendous.

Good luck with your planning.Even though the second trip we started from Africa we organised our carnet through the AA in UK and Visas that wern't required immediately we organised en route.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Just finished a book about two actors Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman, "The Long way around"....They go around the world on two 1150 Bmw motorcycles....in about 3 months with a technical team and a camera crew. They left London and went eastwards....France, Germany, Poland, Russia, kazakstan...some other stans, Mongolia, parts of Siberia....across the ocean to land in Alaska, drive south through canada then back into the USA and across it to New York and back to the UK.

It will take you a lot of money, time, paperwork, planning, frustration....you will need sponsors or film it....make something out of it. I think your best option would be to go North from Thailand into Laos...then China..then start going west.....Be prepared for major delays and major bakshishs(tea money).....you might want to learn about mechanics and buy double of everything.....Best of Luck...would love to hear about your progress....

maybe you should take a pro photographer with you, me, so we could write it up and sell the story. And yes I know the way, depends on when you were planning to go, the easiest way is through China and along the silk road, but perhaps not as exciting as going through Afghanistan...

Always wanted to do it, have discussed it numerous times.

:o

Edited by ourmanflint

Thanks for all replies and info so far!

I will do this overland trip for sure, starting sometime at the end of January 2007 and than I have 3 moths to get to Europe.

It will be the interesting route via India, Pakistan, Afghanistan... but don't know yet; to ship the car from Bangkok to Calcutta and start from there or to start overland from Thailand via Myanmar and Bangladesh if possible?

I am thinking to buy Toyota Vigo Hilux 3.0D 4X4 Double Cab with 4 doors and don't do any modifications. I think Hilux is very tough and reliable and should do this way without any major problems.

Of course, I am not doing this alone. One of the guys from my team (www.3glav-adventures.com) is interested in doing it with me or maybe there can even go 4 people altogether, the car is comfortable enough and maybe should be even more interesting. So if anyone is interested, let me know. I will buy a car and we would just share travel expenses (fuel, etc...). Should be a great adventure.

At the moment I am researching where to get ATA Carnet (document for temporary export) for the car registered in Thailand, where to get visas for all countries, etc...

I think too many people did this kind of route that I this wouldn't be interesting for the media and sponsors, but maybe with a great photos and maybe some nice, different travel video footage would bring it somewhere.

Anyone knows where I can get info on prices to ship the car from Bangkok to India, where to obtain the Carnet in Thailand, is it possible to drive via Myanmar at the moment,...? Anything will help.

Thanks for now and happy kings day to all!

Anyone knows where I can get info on prices to ship the car from Bangkok to India, where to obtain the Carnet in Thailand, is it possible to drive via Myanmar at the moment,...? Anything will help.

Burma always used to be the stumbling block and I suspect it still is. I would think it very difficult to sort the pemission for vehicle and to get a visa that will last long enough for your trip through Burma.

I would think there aren't too many passages through Bangladesh close to Burmese border.

Thats why in days past all the overland trips for people wanting to go to Asia and Australia from Europe used to stop in Kabul. I know the world has changed but not so much in Burma. The good thing is that China has changed so I would investigate that route, China must be easier and safer than Afghanistan and Pakistan and more satisfying than shipping the vehicle, a safer option would be via Kazakstan or Tajikistan even if you enter India via Nepal first. But three months, is it long enough?

anyway, good luck, I'll keep watching for you.

I agree with the above China is the way to go!! I asked when you were going because the Kunming-Bangkok superhighway will be opening soon, it just goes to show how much China is changing.

So the route would be bangkok-laos-china ( yunnan-sichuan( or yunnan-qinghai )-gansu-xinjiang)-then the stans - Iran- Turkey

Easy!!!

Edited by ourmanflint

Check out www.driveindochina.com

It's affiliated with the TAT and organises 4x4 runs into Laos, Cambodia and China, and even one all the way to Everest base-camp (which is the one I and a couple of mates would like to do). I'm sure they could help with at least some of the bureaucracy with carnets etc.

Why not contact Toyota (Japan) and talk to them about potential sponsorship. For their gain from such a publicized adventure would far outweigh the costs of a mere vehicle. Also do a website and keep it updated.

Other possibilities are sponsorship through Discovery Channel and other mediums. Magazine also love to feature such stories.

Right now I am acting as the webmaster for a friend that is walking around the world. So far he has walked from Ireland to Rome, Italy and will restart after the winter months.

If you need help with contacts etc. let me know. I have contacts with Discovery Channel and would know how to make and where to send a sort of screentest/resume to.