Thai Student thoughts on English

iancnx

In summary they say they learn by committing to memory (rote).

There is no conversation. Grammar, grammar, grammar.

Additionally Thai's feel the class divide. Talking English in public is considered by a vast majority to be HiSo.

Filmed outside a language school.

IMO the whole thing spoilt by unnecessary reference to menturation, kids of today eh?  

Hope he doesn't get pulled up for this.

The crux of the message is to understand WHAT the Thai student think about their English tuition.  We all know it's not fit for purpose. Surprisingly they realise it's not fit for purpose.  They understand they learn and commit to memory what they need to pass the examinations.  

So  I think  he is pretty smart to get that message across.  There is a large cohort of Thai English teachers (those who can actually speak, read and be able to converse in English) who understand very well it is the curriculum at fault, as well as a dozen other issues...... Too many to go into here.  My missus is a Thai English teacher! 

I think it is only 3% of Thai teachers who can speak fluent English. And from memory about 40% who are of an acceptable standard to teach English (rules etc). So what's that? 57% who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. No wonder the university entrance exams for the English part is an average of 28%. His point is relevant, but he does seem like a big knob. Make the point and actually make it useful/get the message across, rather than being a dick. They learn grammar mainly to pass a test. Tests like entrance exams, police, army, government official etc etc, are all stupid. Multiple choice questions with 3 correct answers or 0 correct answers. But the way the kids are taught is based off the tests. Conversation is only relevant for the super rich who can throw money around to have their children tutored purely in conversation. The one or two hours per week teaching at school or language centres doesnt mean anything in terms of conversation. 

Edited by wildewillie89

51 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think it is only 3% of Thai teachers who can speak fluent English. And from memory about 40% who are of an acceptable standard to teach English (rules etc). So what's that? 57% who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. No wonder the university entrance exams for the English part is an average of 28%. His point is relevant, but he does seem like a big knob. Make the point and actually make it useful/get the message across, rather than being a dick. They learn grammar mainly to pass a test. Tests like entrance exams, police, army, government official etc etc, are all stupid. Multiple choice questions with 3 correct answers or 0 correct answers. But the way the kids are taught is based off the tests. Conversation is only relevant for the super rich who can throw money around to have their children tutored purely in conversation. The one or two hours per week teaching at school or language centres doesnt mean anything in terms of conversation. 

fair comment ww89, as I mentioned his juvenile approach would divert the less than avid viewer.  You are absolutely right about entrance exams and the woeful level set.  And I know of at least five English (Thai's) teacher who cannot speak a single word of English; they teach grammar out of a book.  I also happen to know they were not tested in English during recruitment.  They jumped through the multiple choice 'hoop' so why on earth would an HR department consider more is needed.  Non English speaking HR I might add!  Its a complete joke.

My Thai cousin from 5 yo can speak fluent english, he even thought he could beat me with a game of chess since he beat daddy and his friends who all did chulangkorn, he lost though. I have to say he got a private tutor for english though, a farang.

This is exactly why rich Thai send their kids to overseas universities.  It's time somebody shows the Thai how bad the universities are.

10 hours ago, mania said:

This guy has been around awhile

Total Dick !

He had a few others always the same...trying to make the Thai kids look bad

or embarrass them

Needs a tuning by a couple heavy hitters

So someone should kick his ass because he speaks two languages and Thai kids only speak one? (Although his accent his pretty bad)

Why don't you chop your legs off because there are people in wheelchairs? You're probably one of those sad losers that beat people up in school because they got better grades than you.

Edited by BudRight

Ok,,,,,,,,,if you were going to teach English and not do "rote" memory learning , 

What would you do ?

And since phonics is not taught , how do they learn words that the teacher cannot pronounce ?

I am sure this is not just a Thai thing , but anyone learning English  worldwide ,  

Well OP l hope he does get pulled up for it, he is very disrespectful idiot IMO.

I guess not many western people would be surprised by the level of English taught in Thai schools & colleges that have lived here for a good while.

The silly western boy talking Thai like a puppet on a string was asking the wrong questions,  my guess is if he had spoke e.g. English basics of introduction,  his video would be pointless. 

In my experience here in Thailand the only Thai kids who learn English are the ones who want to including the so called HiSo's

Edited by Kwasaki

16 hours ago, iancnx said:

fair comment ww89, as I mentioned his juvenile approach would divert the less than avid viewer.  You are absolutely right about entrance exams and the woeful level set.  And I know of at least five English (Thai's) teacher who cannot speak a single word of English; they teach grammar out of a book.  I also happen to know they were not tested in English during recruitment.  They jumped through the multiple choice 'hoop' so why on earth would an HR department consider more is needed.  Non English speaking HR I might add!  Its a complete joke.

The issue is timetabling, the 'no fail' policy and, amazingly, education being teacher focused rather than student focus. I work as a teacher (not many jobs you can do here), and both my co English teachers I cannot communicate with/teach incorrect grammar. Timetabling is an issue as not enough hours is spent teaching. The kids will forget their 50 minute or 2x50 minute classes almost instantly and there is no time to revise, as you must move onto the next topic. Also, maybe 30% of classes the students dont even show up (due to pointless school events).  No wonder after 13 years of study, all students can say is 'My name is'. 

The no fail policy is just to hide how dismal scores actually are. 90% of students receive a fail score but to make the school look good it is changed. Dont people wonder why students average 80% for English in schools, but 28% on the entrance exam for uni a month later lol.

All funding is directed towards teachers. All schooling is directed towards teachers. The very basic idea of education is students i thought. So why instead of buying books, are teachers going on funded trips around the country? Work trips is just code for holiday. Naturally, like most things in Thai, it is also pure laziness. Open a book, get the kids to copy the page, without actually reading it or comprehending what the page is saying. If you finish you get full marks, if you cant even copy you get a grade less. Now schools are also banning private tutoring with the threat of low grades....so the only hope of actually learning something is starting to disappear also. 

There is supposedly meant to be a test being introduced for teachers to sit...however, the tests are always take home tests lol. So the teachers just all work on it together to pass them. Bangkok students do better because the government spends something like 8 times more on each student there. I guess it's that idea of class and elitism again. 

8 hours ago, BudRight said:

So someone should kick his ass because he speaks two languages and Thai kids only speak one? (Although his accent his pretty bad)

Nothing to do with language skills, but because he is a punk & needs a slap

Has nothing to do with his being able to speak & his accent is ok IMO

But he could use that to help rather than tease

You think teasing makes Thai kids want to learn?

As I said look at his history he has been around awhile

In some of his other make fun of Thai vids he does much worse

He is a prick with ears nothing more

Edited by mania

Update on the video...I am part of a line group including education ministers and teachers. Anyway, one of their nephews was involved in that video. Apparently many people answered the guy perfectly well, and they were shocked when they saw the video that he only chose the very worse responses . 

As i said earlier, make the point by all means. The point needs to be made. But dont destroy the poor bastards confidence by making it.