Safety First: Phuket Airport security meets international standards

rooster59

Safety First: Phuket Airport security meets international standards

Zohaib Sikander

1_20161126141812171_yomTfnXUkKgiPDAFOYmnFEzAwBKpAyjymVRRJolu_jpeg.jpeg

Passengers line up to run their bags through the new bag scanners that ASM has incorporated at the new terminal, before walking through a high-tech security net of full-body scanners and highly trained security personnel. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: News about the grand opening of the international terminal at Phuket International Airport (PIA) has littered the airwaves since its official ceremony in September. Like every new, large-scale project in Phuket, and indeed elsewhere in the world, the new terminal has had its fair share of teething problems – something the public has been quick to notice, criticize and rail about. 

However, one area where the new terminal has been roundly commended so far – for not only meeting, but exceeding expectations – is its state-of-the-art security system, including a full body scanner to match the level of security provided at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok, the biggest in the Kingdom, and the sixth busiest airport in Asia.

The mammoth task of implementing this new system at PIA was entrusted to ASM Security Management Company Limited (ASM), which was formed in August 2006 as a joint venture between Loxley Public Company Limited and ICTS Europe Holdings BV. 

Loxley is a business leader in many areas of commerce and industry, covering telecommunications, broadcasting, and general infrastructure that includes power, transport, environment and construction materials.

The company was originally involved in the export of primary products, such as rice and lumber from Thailand, and later made a move toward the import and sale of industrial and advanced technology products.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Safety-First-Phuket-Airport-security-meets-international/65913?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-11-27

"Like every new, large-scale project in Phuket, and indeed elsewhere in the world, the new terminal has had its fair share of teething problems – something the public has been quick to notice, criticize and rail about."

Elsewhere in the world they do a thing called "Trial Run" for weeks. That's how they discovered all the flaws at the new airport in Berlin who might actually open 1 day.

quote: 'including a full body scanner'

How many passengers a year are using this modern airport? I suppose having a single full body scanner will remove the immigration desks from being the source of the biggest bottleneck at the airport.

9 minutes ago, d123 said:

quote: 'including a full body scanner'

How many passengers a year are using this modern airport? I suppose having a single full body scanner will remove the immigration desks from being the source of the biggest bottleneck at the airport.

They also mention 'a net of full body scanners'. And that makes more sense, I presume your quote refers to the security, where people walk through a full body scanner.

For the rest the article is just promotion of the companies involved, and IMO not worth a read.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

They also mention 'a net of full body scanners'. And that makes more sense, I presume your quote refers to the security, where people walk through a full body scanner.

For the rest the article is just promotion of the companies involved, and IMO not worth a read.

If i remember correct i saw only one full body scanner. Also you don't have to go through it. Can use the metal detector next to the scanner. So it was no bottleneck.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

My thought also, does sound like an advertorial (an advertisement written in the form of an editorial).

An explanation for those who do not have English as their first language.

yeah right.... only a couple of weeks ago the story was all about complaints.

i came in from Laos, two weeks ago, and carried everything past the bag scanner, bar one suitcase.

the staff had the usual busted care factor attitude..... 

its all about the day.... and the camera opportunity

11 hours ago, schlog said:

If i remember correct i saw only one full body scanner. Also you don't have to go through it. Can use the metal detector next to the scanner. So it was no bottleneck.

if you set off the metal detector they divert you to the scanner - if you do not set off the metal detector they allow you to bypass. In some countries they also have "random" beeps at the detector just to keep it interesting...