Xmas Lunch

chiang mai

Apologies in advance but somebody had to be the first to mention the X word!

We have friends coming over to stay from China for Xmas and they want to experience a traditional Xmas lunch/dinner, Mrs CM's going barking at the prospect!

Any pointers on who is offering Christmas Lunch or Dinner where on that day, book in advance hotel types of thing or similar?

Thanks in advance

PS: Just saw Conada's post about Xmas so I'm not the first, thanks mate!

Edited by chiang mai

2 minutes ago, acid thunder said:

Couldn't you just DIY?  Nice bit of beef from Makro or salmon from Tops or both.  Save a whole world of pain going out and getting a sub-standard dinner elsewhere. 

Yes indeed we could. But it's about the setting and variety as much as it is about the food, and many hotels combine them both well, plus it's a break from cooking for Mrs CM.

As indicated hotels will be your best bet. Work out your budget and make sure who is offering buffet or not and what your preference is and away you go. Dhara Dhevi and 4 Seasons will be top of the pile around 4,000-4,500baht/head. Le Meridien and Shangri La next closer to 3,000baht mark.

I haven't been in about 3 years, but we used to go to the Shangri La for Christmas dinner each year since about the time they opened. I can't recall if they had turkey or not, but the spread was very good with lots of variety, nice desserts, etc. The atmosphere was very nice for Christmas, with lots of large, over-stuffed sofas and chairs and places to sit and talk with friends and family, Christmas music playing throughout the hotel, etc. I looked forward to it each year. We stopped going when the prices crept up to a level we thought was unreasonable.

Now a lot could have changed in 3 years... Maybe others will chime in who have been recently.

10 hours ago, Mahseer said:

As indicated hotels will be your best bet. Work out your budget and make sure who is offering buffet or not and what your preference is and away you go. Dhara Dhevi and 4 Seasons will be top of the pile around 4,000-4,500baht/head. Le Meridien and Shangri La next closer to 3,000baht mark.

Deleted

Edited by chiang mai

12 hours ago, Chicog said:

Shame Pedr's disappeared, I always liked it there.

Pedr hasnt disappeared, hes back in CM alive and well and in good form! Obviously his pub went, and he went to teach in BKK for a while, but definitely back here now!

I thought I would be having "hospital food" when I came off my bike after the shock  of reading the Ratilannas big xmas poster. 4999bt per head.!

I had to put that  price into some perspective:

thats:

8 sumptuous pizzas circa 600bt from Dukes

8 full boxes of Chang beer

166 chai see noodles; one a week for 3 years

Our monthly shopping bill at makro

my electric bills at home taken care of for at least 1 year (and water for 3 years)

petrol in the car for 3 months

Now if anyone can even attempt to justify spending that much per head then its a case of you having "more money than sense" I am afraid.

As for the establishments, well they are of course banking on the fact that are sufficient senseless folks willing to pay.

18 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I thought I would be having "hospital food" when I came off my bike after the shock  of reading the Ratilannas big xmas poster. 4999bt per head.!

thats:

my electric bills at home taken care of for at least 1 year (and water for 3 years)

Now if anyone can even attempt to justify spending that much per head then its a case of you having "more money than sense" I am afraid.

As for the establishments, well they are of course banking on the fact that are sufficient senseless folks willing to pay.

I think the poster said "only  5900 Bt" for their New Year bash !!!!

18 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

thats:

I agree that's silly money, especially for Ratlianna - but I do like the idea of 8 pizza's from the Dukes. :)