planning to bring 100k thai baht on cash

2) Local Currency

There is no restriction on the amount of Baht that may be brought into the country. A person travelling to Thailand's bordering countries including Vietnam is allowed to take out Baht up to 500,000 Baht and to other country up to 50,000 Baht respectively without authorization.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

Edited by mania

Form this website. http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=departing_from_thailand&lang=en&left_menu=menu_departing_from_thailand

Thai Currency
The amount of Thai currency, in a form of banknote or coin, allowed to be brought outside the country shall not exceed 50,000 THB. In the case where Thai currency is carried out to Thailand's boarding countries, Vietnam and Yunnan District of China, the total amount shall not exceed 2,000,000 THB. However, the Thai currency brought out to the said countries in the amount of 450,000-2,000,000 THB. shall be declared to the Customs officers at the Customs checkpoint. 

Just to reiterate - exchanging THB for GBP, and I guess for Euro, outside Thailand is very expensive. 100K Baht is not a lot, but you might be at least 50Euro short compared with exchanging it in Thailand and bringing, or transferring, the money. So unless you really want Baht in Europe, or can get a private deal with e.g. future tourists, exchange it here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gavinreynolds said:

Just to reiterate - exchanging THB for GBP, and I guess for Euro, outside Thailand is very expensive. 100K Baht is not a lot, but you might be at least 50Euro short compared with exchanging it in Thailand and bringing, or transferring, the money. So unless you really want Baht in Europe, or can get a private deal with e.g. future tourists, exchange it here.

Interesting point thankyou.... you may have helped me here also

I'm heading to Australia next week and also have 100k in cash. I was planning to just exchange it on arrival but from what you're saying I may get a better deal by exchanging it in BKK before leaving.

Have I undersood you correctly? Cheers

21 minutes ago, tails said:

I'm heading to Australia next week and also have 100k in cash. I was planning to just exchange it on arrival but from what you're saying I may get a better deal by exchanging it in BKK before leaving.

22 minutes ago, tails said:

For large sums try to negotiate the exchange rate and get quotes from several banks in person.

19 hours ago, HampiK said:

I not see a reasyfn to bring outside inhailand Thai baht?

Would it not be better to change the thai baht to your currency (€, $, ....) and then bring your currency out. If your currency is not famous... convert to a famous currency.

In Thailand you will have much better exchange rate than when you exchange it in your country....

Don't tale bajht to a 'developed' country.  The rate will be far worse than If you exchanged In Thailand. Of course, If you need baht for a specific purpose In your destination country, go ahead.

36 minutes ago, tails said:

Inteinesting pinint thankyou.... you may have helped me here also

Yes, exchange before you leave.  The rate In Australia will be far worse.

This Is not free advice.  Cut me In on half your savings!!

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

I wouldn't worry as much about violating the Thai currency laws as I would about your logic for taking Baht out of Thailand. 

well i used to exchange all my foreign currencies before leaving each country too. but now i just stick them in my personal kit bag as i know i will be going back again one day. sure is handy to have multiple currencies with you when you find yourself in beijing or seoul again!

Don't know how this relates to visa/immigration, an other forum section might be more suitable.

Other's have quoted the legal maximum of THB that you can export.

The real question is though why bother export THB at all?

- Best would be to exchange THB directly with other people who desire THB. If you know people from your country/currency who need THB you could exchange money at the market exchange rate without any markup or markdown or costs. Win-win for the both of you. Ofcourse you could trade actual bills or electronically (you sent THB to the thai bank account of person X, person X sents money in the currency concerned from his/her  to your  bank account in your own country).

- If you can't trade THB directly with people , exchange it in Thailand. THB is a rare currency outside Thailand so you will get a poor exchane rate when selling or buying THB abroad. 

- Only reason to take THB with you abroad would be if you really need to pay a bill and the creditor only accepts THB. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tails said:

Interesting point thank you.... you may have helped me here also

14 hours ago, Don Mega said:

All you people suggesting to exchange in country, did the OP ask about exchanging it ?

Looks like the OP appreciated said suggestions.

12 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

well i used to exchange all my foreign currencies before leaving each country too. but now i just stick them in my personal kit bag as i know i will be going back again one day. sure is handy to have multiple currencies with you when you find yourself in beijing or seoul again!

Sure, some odd bills and change, but B100k?

12 hours ago, Donutz said:

Don't know how this relates to visa/immigration, an other forum section might be more suitable.

Other's have quoted the legal maximum of THB that you can export.

The real question is though why bother export THB at all?

- Best would be to exchange THB directly with other people who desire THB. If you know people from your country/currency who need THB you could exchange money at the market exchange rate without any markup or markdown or costs. Win-win for the both of you. Ofcourse you could trade actual bills or electronically (you sent THB to the thai bank account of person X, person X sents money in the currency concerned from his/her  to your  bank account in your own country).

- If you can't trade THB directly with people , exchange it in Thailand. THB is a rare currency outside Thailand so you will get a poor exchane rate when selling or buying THB abroad. 

- Only reason to take THB with you abroad would be if you really need to pay a bill and the creditor only accepts THB. 

Th8Is are good Ideas. Actualy euro Is sold at 39 but Is taken at 37 If you give 38 to some friend that wants baht both of you will be happy

On 28/11/2016 at 5:45 PM, tails said:

Don't change it in Australia, you will lose between 2-3 baht per dollar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldkhwaay said:

Don't change it in Australia, you will lose between 2-3 baht per dollar.

Awesome, thanks OP and others! Sounds like you guys have saved me $100-$200 WOW... beers are on me I guess :partytime2:

On 11/28/2016 at 6:41 PM, Donutz said:

This  is interesting

Can I walk into my local bank in my home country and tell them to send my cash thai bank notes without converting it to my local currency, and transfer it to a Thai bank account?

On 11/28/2016 at 9:33 PM, Don Mega said:

All you people suggesting to exchange in country, did the OP ask about exchanging it ?

No, of course he's going to try to use it as legal tender in Europe.  It may even take over from the Euro???

I can't imagine why anyone would take B100K to Europe with any intention other than exchanging it for the local currency, and the advice on changing seems to be well received, so...........

9 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

No, of course he's going to try to use it as legal tender in Europe.  It may even take over from the Euro???

I can't imagine why anyone would take B100K to Europe with any intention other than exchanging it for the local currency, and the advice on changing seems to be well received, so...........

Ive taken sums of 100k often, saves a trip to the bank and its not here at home sitting in my top drawer unsupervised.