NBTC makes 57.9 million from selling 16 “beautiful” phone numbers through auction

webfact

NBTC makes 57.9 million from selling 16 “beautiful” phone numbers through auction

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6WPhpnh8hjFMnCAOD8xhknDl

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has earned about 57.9 million baht from its public auction of its first lot of 16 “beautiful” phone numbers.

Of the 16 “beautiful” phone numbers, nine of them are graded as “gold” and have fetched high prices as follows: 09-8888-8888 was auctioned off at 8.1 million baht; 06-5555-5555 was auctioned off at 6.9 million baht; 09-5555-5555 at 6,898,888 baht; 09-7777-7777 at 6,070,000 baht.

Five numbers which fetched 6 million baht each are 09-0000-0000, 09-1111-1111, 09-4444-4444, 09-6666-6666 and 06-1111-1111.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbtc-makes-57-9-million-from-selling-16-beautiful-phone-numbers-through-auction/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-28

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I heard of anything like this was in Malaysia.  I wanted a SIM card and told it was 10RM (app 100 baht at that time) and was shown a list of numbers to choose from.  Then he showed me another list and said these were 100RM.  I asked what the difference was, he said "lucky number."  And I thought that was ridiculous....

If I had a billion Baht .... I might prefer to buy such a number over buying yet another Mercedes to go with the 17 other cars in my garage.

BTW, the nicest numbers were not up for auction, viz 09-999-9999 and  08-888-8888.  Mere billionaires don't get these .... 

there's 2 things you can count on reading every morning in the news..... growth forecasts revised upward... yet again... in the PI..... very boring.... and some kind of amazing new version of silly money spending in the local news. 

29 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Idiots? So they buy a phone number for six million. And in a year ot two sell it on for ten million. It can be looked on as an investment.

who's the idiot now?

Two idiots.

The first paying 6 million baht.

The second for paying even more.

Stupidity in gradations.

52 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Idiots? So they buy a phone number for six million. And in a year ot two sell it on for ten million. It can be looked on as an investment.

who's the idiot now?

The guy, who buys a telephone number for any amount in the millions!

Still!

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Vanity is the name of the game in this country, any thing you have, I will have better,

never mind how frivolous and childish it is, I gotta have it to keep up

with status....

Isn't that really everywhere in the world? People with disposable income will always buy things outside the basic to show others they have money to burn. I do not really see anything wrong with it. Just people with a lot of extra cash and bored. This is common stuff in the US.

However I do find this particular purchase really quite funny as I would suspect they will get a lot of crank calls so whats the purpose of having a number that everyone can call and harass. LOL! 

27 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Two idiots.

The first paying 6 million baht.

The second for paying even more.

Stupidity in gradations.

Two idiots went into a bar.........One idiot said to the other......You'r an idiot! The bartender asked what he wanted.......and then.....

5 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

So the message is no average Thai person will get lucky and receive something that belongs in the public domain because it will be reserved for those with more wealth than good sense.

My wife got the licenseplate with a row of sevens...for free (i guess)...than she met me and we married.