Yellow book from out of town not accepted!

Bung

Went to transfer my recently purchased bike into my name,  done it plenty of times before,  produced my yellow book which is from phetchaubun and was told I wouldn't be able to use it to transfer my bike in Chiang Mai.  Had to go to phetchaubun to do it or get a letter from immigration for my address verification (trip to Bangkok for Australian?) 

Bit of a bummer,  they just said "new rule".  I noticed it's been getting progressively harder to register vehicles last few years,  the last time I did this was in April and they said the same thing but let it slide. I did buy a condo in June with same yellow book no problem.  

Any ideas around this? I'm not too worried,  I can put it in my son's name easy enough. 

Did you try and change the documents out of chiang mai?  When i purchased a second hand bikein chiang mai with my yellow book everything stayed the same except my chonburi address was added to the green book. It takes a day or two then they mailed it to me. Basically i had the original CM plate and book with my name in thai and chonburi address