School director removed for wearing red

webfact

School director removed for wearing red

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fmbf8yOTxaQzDfyHjHJjHEt

RANONG: -- The Office of Basic Education Commission has ordered the immediate transfer of a school director from Ranong province to the office in Bangkok temporarily after about 100 people rallied in front of the school to protest against her for wearing red on Saturday.

Some 100 residents of Tambon Ratchakrud of Ranong’s Muang district rallied in front of Ratchaprachanukroh 38 school and laid a black wreath at the front gate of the school to protest against Mrs Panada Chanthawong, the newly-appointed director of the school.

The demonstrators claimed that Mrs Panada dressed very improperly by wearing red at a party held to welcome her for assuming the directorship while the rest of the people throughout the country were wearing black to pay tribute to the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

They wanted her fired or removed to somewhere else.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/school-director-removed-for-wearing-red/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-29

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, greenchair said:

This colour thing has become really childish and pathetic. 

People are being beaten up. 

Losing their jobs 

Publicly humiliated 

For a colour. 

The Thais really need to get over this color thing. Actions make the person not colour .

Grow up 

It doesn't help when the Minister of Justice publicly supports this sort of thing and says there should be more such actions.

A lady I know is a teacher in a rural government primary school and was of course told to wear black for a year which didn't go down well and like many others I'm sure is hoping that after a few months the order will be relaxed. However she did point out that even if the PM was to say it was ok not to wear black such things are often down to ' local ' interpretation and application.

In addition she and her colleagues were ' advised ' to remember their positions as teachers who should be setting an example so when not at school it was not to be open season on clothing and they must be careful how they dress. The school director avoided answering if this also meant for a year !

Civil servants have been ordered to wear black for a year, ...
Is this schools director a public servant? If so she is a moron for wearing her lucky red color dress and thinking no one would be bothered by it. If she is not a civil servant she's a moron for not looking at her surroundings and knowing the natives would be bothered by it. Either way I imagine her title of school director led her to believe she was all important.

40 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Civil servants have been ordered to wear black for a year, ...
Is this schools director a public servant? If so she is a moron for wearing her lucky red color dress and thinking no one would be bothered by it. If she is not a civil servant she's a moron for not looking at her surroundings and knowing the natives would be bothered by it. Either way I imagine her title of school director led her to believe she was all important.

Oh please, she isn't a moron, and I hope more people follow her example. People getting offended by the color of ones clothes have a screw loose. Incidentially, I never wear black, certainly hope no-one is offended by me not wearing black, if anyone is, tough luck.

It's been six weeks, enough is enough.

Edited by sjaak327

Oh what, who are these bloody idiots who think they can dictate what a person can and can't wear?  If I want to wear, blue or bloody pocka  dots it's got nothing to do with anyone.  I am free to make my own decisions and have opinions sadly thais are being oppressed by the ruling elite.  

49 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It doesn't help when the Minister of Justice publicly supports this sort of thing and says there should be more such actions.

A lady I know is a teacher in a rural government primary school and was of course told to wear black for a year which didn't go down well and like many others I'm sure is hoping that after a few months the order will be relaxed. However she did point out that even if the PM was to say it was ok not to wear black such things are often down to ' local ' interpretation and application.

In addition she and her colleagues were ' advised ' to remember their positions as teachers who should be setting an example so when not at school it was not to be open season on clothing and they must be careful how they dress. The school director avoided answering if this also meant for a year !

They only have to wear a black ribbon, it shouldn't matter what colour the black ribbon is attached to.

16 minutes ago, Thechook said:

They only have to wear a black ribbon, it shouldn't matter what colour the black ribbon is attached to.

Remember ' local ' interpretation and application. The school I mentioned is still requiring black clothing.

3 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"...100 people rallied in front of the school to protest against her for wearing red on Saturday. "

Grow up already!!!

Apparently they told this 100 strong crowd of moral crusaders that the director was also corrupt. The crowd replied "Oh, my God! Does that mean there's a job opening?"

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Most of you are confused. You are not being asked to wear black, you are being told to. If you don't like it, get the heck out of the country.

And where do you expect this Thai woman go to, exactly? Are you going to pay for her moving costs, residence permit and provide an income for her?

4 minutes ago, baboon said:

And where do you expect this Thai woman go to, exactly? Are you going to pay for her moving costs, residence permit and provide an income for her?

As I said earlier who does Brucey meen by "You" this is about a School Director.

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh please, she isn't a moron, and I hope more people follow her example. People getting offended by the color of ones clothes have a screw loose. Incidentially, I never wear black, certainly hope no-one is offended by me not wearing black, if anyone is, tough luck.

It is in respect of the King. Remember what country you're living in. As a public servant she would certainly be seen as being disrespectful. As a farang Thais probably think you know no better. 

This isn't just about not wearing black, red is extremely inappropriate. As a Thai she must've known that, it's hard to fathom what she was thinking. I remember some Farang girl getting a lot of flak for wearing a red t-shirt on Khao San Rd. during a previous royal funeral, but at least she had the excuse of ignorance.

20 minutes ago, nausea said:

This isn't just about not wearing black, red is extremely inappropriate. As a Thai she must've known that, it's hard to fathom what she was thinking. I remember some Farang girl getting a lot of flak for wearing a red t-shirt on Khao San Rd. during a previous royal funeral, but at least she had the excuse of ignorance.

How about yellow?

14 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Most of you are confused. You are not being asked to wear black, you are being told to. If you don't like it, get the heck out of the country.

No.....the public is asked.  Public servants are  told to just as they are told to wear a uniform. 

"red is extremely inappropriate"

Red is  just a colour!

People can wear black if they WANT to show mourning   

Dictating a colour earns no respect 

To the rest of us we are free to choose, i went for beer in a red shirt last night without it being festooned with ribbons and survived

i have made a point of not changing my dress throughout the whole saga ( and a very nice dress it is as well):thumbsup:

Also dare i say it around here things are getting back to normal well obviously apart from those being dictated too