School director removed for wearing red

webfact

20 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I don't know where you are from but wake's where I lived are attended by people who just got off work etc.  Most wakes are not very somber anymore, it is just a nice social event and showing up in concrete spattered work clothes will draw very little attention and the family will be very happy to see you.   I only wear black when it is a very crushing unexpected loss of a young person.

I did try to wear black here and or a ribbon for a few weeks after the death,  I wore black to a couple funerals here but saw many Thais and farangs that didn't. I sure didn't think any less of them.  If somebody thinks less of me because of what color I wear, than I sure don't care to know what other reasons they have for looking down on people.

The issue is not about not wearing black. The issue is about wearing celebratory colours to a wake, instead of something neutral. I did mention khaki...

Where I come from, we would buy an appropriate color shirt to change, from any bright color we happened to be wearing, even if attending after work.

The reason - a show of respect to the family of the deceased.

Edited by trogers

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't about the red/ yellow political thing or bright colours per se. In Asian culture red is the symbolic colour of happiness and is strictly forbidden at funerals. It's culturally engrained and everyone knows about it. For a Farang to wear red is just a social faux pas; for a Thai to wear red to a public function exhibits a staggering degree of insensitivity and arrogance. 

30 minutes ago, trogers said:

The issue is not about not wearing black. The issue is about wearing celebratory colours to a wake, instead of something neutral. I did mention khaki...

Where I come from, we would buy an appropriate color shirt to change, from any bright color we happened to be wearing, even if attending after work.

The reason - a show of respect to the family of the deceased.

She wasn't at a wake. 

She was at school. 

On a Saturday. 

In her own weekend time. 

Unpaid. 

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

If I am interacting with local officialdom or just the locals I wear black as a mark of respect pure and simple, if I am going to one of the two bars I frequent I will wear white or dark colours with a ribbon, I have the highest respect and regard for the late king, so this doesn't cause me any problem at all.

Also, if you turn up at immigration correctly attired you are likely to have a smooth time of it rather than wearing inappropriate clothing like a Chang singlet or football shirt.

I don't understand how people can get so upset about showing some respect for who was probably the best monarch (apart from HM the Queen Elizabeth 2) ever seen.

So in your mind the queen is in a higher realm. 

Quite frankly, I find that a much more offensive thing to say in Thailand than the wearing of a colored shirt because you feel happy on your day off. 

8 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Civil servants have been ordered to wear black for a year, ...
Is this schools director a public servant? If so she is a moron for wearing her lucky red color dress and thinking no one would be bothered by it. If she is not a civil servant she's a moron for not looking at her surroundings and knowing the natives would be bothered by it. Either way I imagine her title of school director led her to believe she was all important.

It was at a private party, do you wsar black boxers ? 

8 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Civil servants have been ordered to wear black for a year, ...
Is this schools director a public servant? If so she is a moron for wearing her lucky red color dress and thinking no one would be bothered by it. If she is not a civil servant she's a moron for not looking at her surroundings and knowing the natives would be bothered by it. Either way I imagine her title of school director led her to believe she was all important.

You sound as daft as the people protesting.

8 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh please, she isn't a moron, and I hope more people follow her example. People getting offended by the color of ones clothes have a screw loose. Incidentially, I never wear black, certainly hope no-one is offended by me not wearing black, if anyone is, tough luck.

It's been six weeks, enough is enough.

She is a paid civil servant. They have been told to wear black for a year as part of the official morning process. People here take these things seriously. That is there culture and as a guest in their country I try to earnestly respect their culture and certainly wouldn't go out of my way to offend by showing contempt or ignorance. 

Can't believe you feel entitled to tell another nation and culture how long their respecting wearing black can last. Colonialism isn't dead after all.

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

This is crazy. I have had to special order a black mankini and put my red mankini in storage! Ridiculous by the minute, this place. :passifier:

But that doesn't explain why you're always wearing your wife's black bikini. :shock1:

The school director did something very unusual and should have known  it better when all the others wear black. 

It might be that too many of them think that they are allowed to do what they want. 

I just bought a couple of black shirts  and a few more weeks, or months wearing black won't kill me.

Edited by lostinisaan

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

She is a paid civil servant. They have been told to wear black for a year as part of the official morning process. People here take these things seriously. That is there culture and as a guest in their country I try to earnestly respect their culture and certainly wouldn't go out of my way to offend by showing contempt or ignorance. 

Can't believe you feel entitled to tell another nation and culture how long their respecting wearing black can last. Colonialism isn't dead after all.

I doubt the school director is a guest in Thailand. You are confusing colonialism with common sense. It's allright, I understand anyone that questions blind, senseless obediance is a colonist, what utter bull.

9 hours ago, greenchair said:

This colour thing has become really childish and pathetic. 

People are being beaten up. 

Losing their jobs 

Publicly humiliated 

For a colour. 

The Thais really need to get over this color thing. Actions make the person not colour .

Grow up 

But, what if she had done Yellow?

34 minutes ago, greenchair said:

So in your mind the queen is in a higher realm. 

Quite frankly, I find that a much more offensive thing to say in Thailand than the wearing of a colored shirt because you feel happy on your day off. 

I didn't say that at all, the queen is my monarch, and much like how the late king devoted himself to his people, she has worked tirelessly for the United Kingdom, I respect them both for the work they have done day in and day out for decades.

You obviously skipped this bit.

38 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I have the highest respect and regard for the late king, so this doesn't cause me any problem at all.

And as usual we have nothing important to think about in this country. I really liked and still like the king, but from that to order people to wear special clothes and colors is somthing that can´t be justified.
Peoples positions and abilities to work should not be disregarded of what color of clothes they are wearing. Using a system like that only leads to that competent persons in the right places get fired or removed out of the wrong reasons. On the other hand, when the rule is existing, there is a major failure by a school director to not follow that rules, as that sets a bad example for the students that the theacher always wants to follow rules and regulations.

Edited by Get Real

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I fully agree with you. I think that only people who've lived here for longer understand how disrespectful it seems for many people when a school director's wearing red. Even considering the red and yellow shirt protests not too long ago.

6 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I doubt the school director is a guest in Thailand. You are confusing colonialism with common sense. It's allright, I understand anyone that questions blind, senseless obediance is a colonist, what utter bull.

Are you having reading or comprehension problems? You want to tell the Thai people "6 weeks is enough". And somehow think that's common sense just because you thought it up by youself?

You are a guest in Thailand and like all guests should be sensitive to local culture and feelings. The effect this has had on this nation and virtually all the population has been well reported so even farangs should be aware of it.

A colonial mindset is Westerners who believe they know better and have more common sense than those who they used, and in some cases still do, look down on.

9 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Are you having reading or comprehension problems? You want to tell the Thai people "6 weeks is enough". And somehow think that's common sense just because you thought it up by youself?

You are a guest in Thailand and like all guests should be sensitive to local culture and feelings. The effect this has had on this nation and virtually all the population has been well reported so even farangs should be aware of it.

A colonial mindset is Westerners who believe they know better and have more common sense than those who they used, and in some cases still do, look down on.

I am fully aware and as stated I don't have any black clothes, so won't wear them. And yes, I believe a one year mourning period for any one man to be outrageous. I believe people not wearing black, and subsequently loose their job because of it, to be unacceptable and unjust.

I don't look down on anyone, but do disagree with this practice. Fine you want to mourn a monarch for a year, be my guest, just don't force it on others, including this teacher.

In that light, I think there are quite a few cultural correct people that feel entitled to look down on anyone that does not agree...

Edited by sjaak327

12 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

I fully agree with you. I think that only people who've lived here for longer understand how disrespectful it seems for many people when a school director's wearing red. Even considering the red and yellow shirt protests not too long ago.

Disrespectful or not, there is nothing illegal about it (yet) and nobody has the right not to be offended.

I remember being lambasted by a shopkeeper for wearing a red shirt ages ago. Tough sh!t, pal and anyway, as I pointed out to him it wasn't a 'red shirt', it was a shirt that was red. Didn't stop him taking my money either...

19 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No he wouldn't and if you knew the philosophy that lay behind his choice of colour you'd know why.

Well I guess it would be very hard to find someone over 40 years old that doesn't know why he was the man in black wouldn't it? But you can remind us if it makes you feel smart.

8 minutes ago, Get Real said:

And as usual we have nothing important to think about in this country. I really liked and still like the king, but from that to order people to wear special clothes and colors is somthing that can´t be justified.
Peoples positions and abilities to work should not be disregarded of what color of clothes they are wearing. Using a system like that only leads to that competent persons in the right places get fired or removed out of the wrong reasons. On the other hand, when the rule is existing, there is a major failure by a school director to not follow that rules, as that sets a bad example for the students that the theacher always wants to follow rules and regulations.

Did you see the discussions when Corbyn refused to sing the national anthem in Britain; or when the football player refused to stand for the national anthem in the US? Well this would be a million times worse for a great many Thais.

The nation is in mourning and the cultural traditions and acceptance 

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I am fully aware and as stated I don't have any black clothes, so won't wear them. And yes, I believe a one year mourning period for any one man to be outrageous. I believe people not wearing black, and subsequently loose their job because of it, to be unacceptable and unjust.

I don't look down on anyone, but do disagree with this practice. Fine you want to mourn a monarch for a year, be my guest, just don't force it on others, including this teacher.

In that light, I think there are quite a few cultural correct people that feel entitled to look down on anyone that does not agree...

You are entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't make it any more "common sense" or right than other opinions.

Thailand, the Thai people have their views. This lady either new the likely consequences or didn't care, or thought she was above it; or was somewhat lacking in intelligence. 

Foreigners have been requested to wear dark colors, or white is an option. If you chose to wear normal clothes then that is your choice. But you're not employed as a civil servant, in a position where those you serve have certain expectations, which in this instance haven't been met.