Your Advice For First Time Visit To Immigration

slippedisc

Hello,

I did a search on this and 'visa services' but didn't find much, except expect early mornings, waiting and chaos.

So, what advice would you give someone visiting immigration in Chiang for first time?

I'm personally just looking to get a 30 day extension on a 2 month single entry tourist visa. Any recommended services, that are not a complete rip off?

Thanks

Based on what I'm hearing about the 30-day extensions to tourist visas, there's no big backup for those and you likely will be served in a reasonable time if you show up before 10AM; however, if you don't have the luxury of time in going back a second time, perhaps best if you're there by 8AM to somewhat guarantee you'll be handled the same day.  Also, try to avoid going Monday or Friday or the day before/after any holiday as it's often busier those days.  I believe (not 100% sure) they may be closed next Monday (5th) so maybe you might want to avoid next Tuesday too.

They will be closed for the next 2 Mondays, so will be doing the same amount of business in 80% of the time. And its peak tourist season, so no doubt they'll be busy as they always are at this time. And they're moving virtually all operations to Promenada on Tuesday 6th December.

Best of luck!

49 minutes ago, naboo said:

They will be closed for the next 2 Mondays, so will be doing the same amount of business in 80% of the time. And its peak tourist season, so no doubt they'll be busy as they always are at this time. And they're moving virtually all operations to Promenada on Tuesday 6th December.

Best of luck!

Really? The city is dead, completely dead. Hardly any tourists so shouldn't be a problem. Went to the Night Bazaar the other night around 20:00. There were 2 tables occupied at the Kalare Food Center. 2! Most vendors were packing up and closing shop it was so dead. I've never seen anything like it in all the years. Everywhere else we went was dead too.

6 hours ago, elektrified said:

Really? The city is dead, completely dead. Hardly any tourists so shouldn't be a problem. Went to the Night Bazaar the other night around 20:00. There were 2 tables occupied at the Kalare Food Center. 2! Most vendors were packing up and closing shop it was so dead. I've never seen anything like it in all the years. Everywhere else we went was dead too.

Maybe everybody was getting an early start at immigration!!

You don't need to use a "visa service" to get a 30 day extension to a tourist visa.  Just follow the advice here and bring some evidence of where you're staying, including the complete address.  It's amazing how many tourists rock up with no clue where they're living.

The queue isn't long when I went there at the beginning of this month.

Just line up at the correct queue and fill up the form.

That day, I saw a few young ladies queueing up at the retirement queue.

When I told her she's too young to retire, she quickly went to another queue.

if you are living in the city , there is a free bus to the Prominada at 11 55 PM from the Le Meridien hotel .

You will arrive at Prominada during their lunch break , so enough time for a KFC ,I mean a Dukes .

Fill out two forms, one fully and the other partially .

Have two photos to attach to one of the forms .

Have your full CM address handy

Hand it in with the money and wait for an hour or so

Pick up your PP and then get a free bus back

Best to go on Wednesday or Thursday

Shower, brush your teeth and use deodorant.

Dress appropriately (I generally wear long pants and a short sleeve "polo" shirt).

Have all your paperwork in hand (filled out and signed application), photocopies of your passport pages (face page, visa page and departure card) and at least 2 passport sized photos ready to hand in, before arriving !

Arrive well ahead of opening time (bring a book and a coffee).

(In Jomtien the office doors open at 08:00 but the IO's generally start at 08:30. The line (queue) outside the door often starts by 07:15. After an extra long weekend last summer, by 08:00 the line extended out to the parking lot and onto the soi. I was 3rd in line. Was out the door by 08:40 and the line-up was even longer.)

As noted above, avoid Mondays and Fridays if possible, or the first day after a long weekend. 

Be polite !!! When you approach the IO smile, give him/her a polite "wai" and a "good morning".

Remember that the Immigration Officers have to deal with people from around the world, a lot of whom don't speak Thai or English and a lot of whom show up unwashed and stinking, with no clue what they are supposed to do (thus not having the right paperwork, photocopies, etc and often in the wrong queue) and far too many of them with various problems that (in their mind) require special consideration from the IO. 

Remember that you are just one of the many that the IO has to deal with every day of every week of every year. Being clean and polite may help put you in the IO's "good book" (for the time you are in front of him at least, especially if it's early in the day and he/she hasn't spent hours having to deal with the dregs of society already).

Edited by Kerryd
because I can !

Same as you would present yourself at any Govermen Dept. As stated already, dress respectably and be polite...it's just being respectful. I don't always go along with the "be there early" brigade.....most people think that way and as a result it is chock-a block at that time.  If you go later in the day avoid being there between 12 noon and 13.00 hrs....eating time.

31 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Same as you would present yourself at any Govermen Dept. As stated already, dress respectably and be polite...it's just being respectful. I don't always go along with the "be there early" brigade.....most people think that way and as a result it is chock-a block at that time.  If you go later in the day avoid being there between 12 noon and 13.00 hrs....eating time.

This is a more appealing option i must say. In Philippines (if its a busy office), i arrive late afternoon, hand in paperwork, and then come back next morning if i have to which is preferable to sitting around aimlessly for hours.

Thanks to everyone for all advice, some is common sense, but some useful tips in here too.

Shower, brush your teeth and use deodorant.
Dress appropriately (I generally wear long pants and a short sleeve "polo" shirt).
Have all your paperwork in hand (filled out and signed application), photocopies of your passport pages (face page, visa page and departure card) and at least 2 passport sized photos ready to hand in, before arriving !
Arrive well ahead of opening time (bring a book and a coffee).
(In Jomtien the office doors open at 08:00 but the IO's generally start at 08:30. The line (queue) outside the door often starts by 07:15. After an extra long weekend last summer, by 08:00 the line extended out to the parking lot and onto the soi. I was 3rd in line. Was out the door by 08:40 and the line-up was even longer.)
As noted above, avoid Mondays and Fridays if possible, or the first day after a long weekend. 

Be polite !!! When you approach the IO smile, give him/her a polite "wai" and a "good morning".
Remember that the Immigration Officers have to deal with people from around the world, a lot of whom don't speak Thai or English and a lot of whom show up unwashed and stinking, with no clue what they are supposed to do (thus not having the right paperwork, photocopies, etc and often in the wrong queue) and far too many of them with various problems that (in their mind) require special consideration from the IO. 
Remember that you are just one of the many that the IO has to deal with every day of every week of every year. Being clean and polite may help put you in the IO's "good book" (for the time you are in front of him at least, especially if it's early in the day and he/she hasn't spent hours having to deal with the dregs of society already).

No need to 'wai' at all, a polite nod of the head and greeting is all that's really required. IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

It's better to go around 14.00 as they want to get you processed and out the door so they can get home. It takes me less than an hour EVERY time. And... contrary to popular belief, you don't need to dress like Prince Philip. Some of the advice on here is utter BS. 

Shorts are a lot more comfortable, but beachwear is impolite and there are signs about that at an office or two.  Mosquito repellent if you ate going to sit in the cave z while....it's damp down there...and dark as can be, but they turn on the lights About sunrise, but as stated..mid afternoon to do simpler task...morning warriors doing things the hard way...quite a few.