Dutch lower house lawmakers approve limited burqa ban

webfact

Dutch lower house lawmakers approve limited burqa ban 

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Lawmakers in the lower house of the Dutch parliament on Tuesday approved a limited ban on "face-covering clothing" including Islamic veils and robes such as the burqa and niqab.

The legislation, approved by a large majority in the 150-seat lower house, must now be approved by the upper house of parliament before it can be signed into law.

In a text message to The Associated Press, anti-Islam lawmaker Geert Wilders called the limited ban, "a step in the right direction" and said he will push for a full burqa ban if his Freedom Party wins elections in March.

Studies suggest that only a few hundred women in the Netherlands wear niqabs or full-face burqas, but successive governments have attempted to ban the garments, following the example of European countries such as France and Belgium.

The Dutch proposal, described by the government as "religion-neutral," does not go as far as the complete bans in those countries. It applies on public transport and in education institutions, health institutions such as hospitals, and government buildings.

In a debate last week that paved the way for Tuesday's swift vote, Interior Minister Ronald Plasterk acknowledged that debate about the burqa had played a major role in the ban. But Plasterk, who is from the center-left Labor Party, said that in a free country like the Netherlands people should be allowed to appear in public with their faces covered, if they want to, but that in government buildings, schools and hospitals people need to be able to look each other in the face.

The maximum fine for breaching the ban, which also covers ski masks and full-face helmets, is just over 400 euros ($425).

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-30

Good.  These full-face covers are straight out Wahabi cuckoo land. 

Got an amusing joke/chain email this morning.  Photo of two young muslim men on a beach in Florida, USA, holding up a sign saying, "Respect Ramadan, No Bikinis".   Photo underneath showed two fit blondes had removed said offensive bikinis, laying stark naked on beach towels,  shapely bums to the sun.   Gotta love it.   :thumbsup::lol:

It seems the rule is about clothing that hides faces (incl. motor helmets) in Public buildings etc. 
Every bank has a sign that covering faces or even wearing tinted glasses is not allowed on premises. 

So what is the big deal ... regular security procedure ...

When I was working in Afghanistan, we were driving through the streets of Kabul and saw what appeared to be two men wearing burkas.  One of our team members took a quick photo as we moved through traffic.  

When we returned to our compound, we could clearly see in the photo it was two men wearing burkas.  I have no idea if they were police or military on survillance, transvestites or some other deranged individuals, or Taliban.  

What was evident, is it makes a good disguise for those who do not want to be identified. Burqas should be banned in western countries due to the threat Islamic terrorist pose to these countries.

When I was working in Afghanistan, we were driving through the streets of Kabul and saw what appeared to be two men wearing burkas.  One of our team members took a quick photo as we moved through traffic.  

When we returned to our compound, we could clearly see in the photo it was two men wearing burkas.  I have no idea if they were police or military on survillance, transvestites or some other deranged individuals, or Taliban.  

What was evident, is it makes a good disguise for those who do not want to be identified. Burqas should be banned in western countries due to the threat Islamic terrorist pose to these countries.

Apparently not so good a disguise.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

15 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

This may be an issue for the future in the U.S. Doesn't matter what the Donald wants or says; he can't overturn the First Amendment.

Which part of the First Amendment do you feel would not allow a face covering ban? All US rights have limitations for the common good. Banning idetification face coverings are quite within the Constitution.

It should be banned everywhere in the civilized World for security reasons. If you don't like it- you have the option of returning to your country of origin.... I have seen it sprouting in a few California cities... needs to be banned immediately. The first amendment does not allow people to yell fire in a packed theatre when there is none and it certainly can't be used to stop laws that would protect the general populce from potential lawbreakers.

10 hours ago, bandito said:

I read somewhere that in Egypt, which is an Islamic country, the Burqa is banned.

Egypt drafts bill to ban burqa and Islamic veils in public places

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/egypt-drafts-bill-to-ban-niqab-veil-in-public-places-a6920701.html

Hijab by country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_by_country#Egypt

So only 200 women in Netherlands wear this?

Maybe this mean all the others arent allowed outdoors?

Anyway good to see if it goes through but i think to many of secret handshakers in the upper house.

Should be law in every western country.

cant believe banks havent been robbed by people completely covered up like that.

2 hours ago, Morch said:

Veils are NOT Islamic, though they may be worn by Muslim women. There is no such thing as "Islamic" dress.

The greatest success of the Wahabis has been to convince western governments that "Islamic" dress exists and that they should be allowed to build mosques in western countries while they ban churches in Saudi.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Veils are NOT Islamic, though they may be worn by Muslim women. There is no such thing as "Islamic" dress.

The greatest success of the Wahabis has been to convince western governments that "Islamic" dress exists and that they should be allowed to build mosques in western countries while they ban churches in Saudi.

That's pretty much the point of the first link posted, and part of the reasoning behind the suggested legislation. The Independent's headline isn't very accurate, but that wouldn't be a first.

20 hours ago, Thaidream said:

It should be banned everywhere in the civilized World for security reasons. If you don't like it- you have the option of returning to your country of origin.... I have seen it sprouting in a few California cities... needs to be banned immediately. The first amendment does not allow people to yell fire in a packed theatre when there is none and it certainly can't be used to stop laws that would protect the general populce from potential lawbreakers.

Well I am all for banning the burka in USA...can we also ban those types of burkas?

_75967545_copjvo8a.jpg

Edited by DavidVincent