Today at the Savannakhet Thai consul

Today at the Savannakhet consul while applying for a 60 day single entry tourist visa I was asked why I was coming to Thailand.

I replied for tourism.  I was then told next time I need proof if funds and a letter from a tourism group or I would be denied a tourist visa.

Background:. USA passport.  34 year old male.  Entered Thailand on visa exempt stamp at Don Meung November 2.  Before that, spent 7 days in Cambodia.  Prior to that was in Thailand on exempt stamp for 15 days having spent 5 months prior back in the USA.

In 2015 I was a visa runner, but would usually spend a full 30 days in Cambodia between Thailand visas.

Has anyone else had similar issues?  Is is time to say goodbye to Thailand and check out the Philippines?  I figure there has to be others in my position, curious what their plans are if people like me are no longer welcome.  I've been looking at the elite card and figure for that amount I would be happier in Cambodia or trying somewhere else.

In 2015 did you get a number of your visas from Savannakhet and are you still using the same passport? If there were already a number issued by them that may have caused the enquiry despite the time you were away. 

The recent reports tend to indicate they are being more strict in the last week or so.  Let's hope this is temporary, or they at least continue to serve the many family people using them for Non-O Multis.  If that policy ends, a lot of kids won't get to see "dad" much any more.

I would suggest bringing proof of funds every time you plan to get a new Tourist Visa anywhere.  I use a Bangkok Bank book that shows that all my money comes into Thailand from foreign-transfers.  Others were denied in Cambodia, recently (and/or agents refused to try), while I had no problem when showing this evidence.   A bank-book showing a large balance overseas would likely also do the trick.  The key is to prove, beyond all doubt, that you have no reason to even consider working in Thailand - that it would be a waste of your time.

I also carry a copy of my condo-lease, letter from the condo-authority, the slip showing I registered this address with my local immigration office (for extensions), and proof of recent payments.  While some say this could be used to prove I am "not a tourist," I believe they are more interested in, "is this guy working and/or poor," and money + condo helps dispel that assumption. 

As to your "job" - I put "retired," and if they ask how so young, I tell them the truth - I own businesses which generate revenue, and live off of that + savings.  Granted in my late-40s, this may be easier for me to explain than for a younger person with a similar income-stream, since they may not be familiar with e-commerce and related business-models. 

I am not sure what they meant by "tour group" - but next time, say you are coming to "visit friends," which is an acceptable and honest reason to obtain a Tourist Visa.  Tourism is not limited to following a guy around holding a little flag on a stick (and not buying much, as businesses close), like so many Chinese visitors seem to define as "a vacation."

As to your 2015 activity - is this reflected in your current passport?  "Visa Running" is usually "in/out" activity - not staying out for a month at a time.  Ideally, they would look carefully, and note your time "out of Thailand" and see you were obviously not working, but more likely they just count the Thai-stamps and assume the worst.  A new passport could helpl, when it comes to applying for new visas.

In any case, you are wise to have a Plan B in mind - as should anyone living here who doesn't have PR or Citizenship.  Granted, some visa-categories could at least expect to get some warning of pending changes, where as those of us on Tourist Visas may not.

About the bank

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I use a Bangkok Bank book that shows that all my money comes into Thailand from foreign-transfers. 

Did you show them your original Bank Book or copies? If it was the original bank book, did they keep it overnight?

Or is there a way that the bank issue a statement for the last months which shows the incoming funds from abroad and the balance? In Europe no problem. But here?

I don't want necessary travel with my original bank books.

Edited by alocacoc

1 hour ago, bluesnake said:

My passport is full of tourist visas. Last time, I received a oral warning that next time must show bankbook. Also in Savanakhet.

Just out of curiosity, what is the least amount of money a tourist like you would be expected to show in your bankbook?

There has been at least one case where someone with a legitimate multi O marriage visa was challenged and told that if he rolled up at Poi Pet again he would be refused entry.

I and others I know believe it might be only a matter of time before border runs even with the proper visa will not be allowed and a minimum stay out of the country will be demanded. In other words a husband will be barred from living with his family for whatever period they choose. And then I can envisage someone who is well-funded taking the Thai government to the International Court of Human Rights in an effort to put an end to their pointless nonsense.

We live in interesting times.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There has been at least one case where someone with a legitimate multi O marriage visa was challenged and told that if he rolled up at Poi Pet again he would be refused entry.

I and others I know believe it might be only a matter of time before border runs even with the proper visa will not be allowed and a minimum stay out of the country will be demanded. In other words a husband will be barred from living with his family for whatever period they choose. And then I can envisage someone who is well-funded taking the Thai government to the International Court of Human Rights in an effort to put an end to their pointless nonsense.

We live in interesting times.

If you got correct marriage visa how is this an issue?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alocacoc said:

About the bank

Did you show them your original Bank Book or copies? If it was the original bank book, did they keep it overnight?

Or is there a way that the bank issue a statement for the last months which shows the incoming funds from abroad and the balance? In Europe no problem. But here?

The bank can normally issue copies 3 month back with certified stamp. You should never have to leave you bank book. Not normal procedure.

Edited by Get Real

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

If you got correct marriage visa how is this an issue?

Because it is up to the individual immigration officer whether they grant entry or not, regardless of the fact that you have a visa. There was a report on ThaiVisa that one such holder was warned he would not be granted entry again at Poi Pet, and there is speculation that a ban on such in/out on the same day trips may be extended beyond Poi Pet in the future. Certainly, if that is now official policy (or non-official, who ever knows in Thailand?) then there is no reason to suspect that it would not become the policy at every other entry point.

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is just a Poi Pet thing. Many people have done crossings at other places with a valid multiple entry visa without a problem. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This is what people tend to forget to read in the thai imm.law. " up to the individual immigration officer to grant or deny you entry to the Kingdom, no reason have to be given" Here is where the face factor come i to play, if they simply don't like your dress, face or whatever they can deny you entry even if you have millions in your bank and all the requiered paperwork and copies, that individual can still deny you entry. Read the law. This of cource make people confused, they let you in at one border, next man try entry at another border with exact same document and get denied entry. My point, they do what they want and they get away with it because as it states "every individual imm. officer can by his or hers own choosing bla bla"

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is just a Poi Pet thing. Many people have done crossings at other places with a valid multiple entry visa without a problem. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

You used to be able to use a multi at Poi Pet too without a problem. Now there is one. Maybe they are testing the waters for a total crackdown on in/outs. Who knows. Have they ever worked it the other way and made it easier for people? No. Only more and more obstacles put in the way of law-abiding citizens.

Let me repeat as it doesn't appear to have got through to you. A foreigner with a valid visa issued on the basis that he has a Thai wife was told, albeit in a friendly manner, that he would be refused re-entry into Thailand if he came through Poi Pet again.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You used to be able to use a multi at Poi Pet too without a problem. Now there is one. Maybe they are testing the waters for a total crackdown on in/outs. Who knows. Have they ever worked it the other way and made it easier for people? No. Only more and more obstacles put in the way of law-abiding citizens.

Why would they be testing the waters? To see if we like it or not? If they want to do something nationwide they would do it not just start at one crossing to "see how it goes"

Poipet is probably the most difficult and corrupt crossing in Thailand, people have issues there no matter what visa they try to enter with, there has been numerous reports on TV about this crossing

there is no reason to suspect that it will spread from poipet, or in fact poipet will not change,  Pong nam ron are still allowing in/out border hops with multi non 'o'  as of yesterday,

we do not need scare rumormongers on here.

who would use poipet when there are 2 others close by, and in fact closer to pattaya, ban chang etc.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, alocacoc said:

About the bank

The agent copied the original (every page), but not sure if they act as guarantor that the copies are authentic.

On my previous visit, I was told having "over $1K USD would be a good idea," - well above 20K Baht.  The book shows foreign transfers with a code.   Check with your bank on other options they could provide and/or if providing the agent with copies is OK.

I was told returning for a 3rd visa would be ok, with the same proof of finances.  But as with all consulates, things can change w/o notice.  It is possible that if I had gone a week later, they would have declined me.

I believe the Poipet border was tightened up because that is the border where one of the alleged bombers entered and got in  due to lax screening. Now the pendulum has swung the other way. To avoid even the hint of making another 'mistake' they are even denying legitimate visa holders based upon their own version of what the law says.  It's best to avoid thos border untill reason comes back.

• Like 2

Bank books are things of like 40 years ago.   

Could I just open my online account to show the balance?  But would need wifi.    Or a bank statement?   

But I plan to get a SETV here in USA prior to my next trip.  

Edited by Elkski

4 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Could I just open online account. But would need wifi.    Or a bank statement?   

Thai banks have online banking but not accounts that are solely done on line. Most banks have bank books for the accounts but some do have accounts that only have statements.

Just got back from Savannakhet.

My SETV application was also refused.

Background:

age 51, EU citizen

Non-B in 2015 and before

2x SETV issued in Penang both extended for 30 days

Single Entry Non-ED issued in Savannakhet plus renewed for another 3 month

1x SETV issued in Savannakhet extended for 30 days

Now my SETV application got refused.

By my calculation I stayed 155 days on TV and another 176 days on Non-ED in 2016.

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

Could I just open my online account to show the balance?  But would need wifi.    Or a bank statement?   

But I plan to get a SETV here in USA prior to my next trip.  

That would depend on the consulate (since they make up their own rules on the fly), but note this was not permitted for someone recently denied-entry with a Tourist Visa at DM Airport, who lacked the 20K Baht "in cash" requirement.  Carrying around large amounts of cash, to a country where a meal's cost starts at $1.50, is silly and potentially dangerous - but you had better do it if you want to enter Thailand.  To top it off, the amount is not enough to support 60-days in Thailand.  Better if they asked people to show at least 35K Baht per 30-days of visa validity - but via some electronic means.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Why would a tourist have a Thai bank account?    

Because it provides a more efficient way to transfer money to Thailand - much better than 150 Baht per atm withdrawal from a foreign account.  I've been a retired (but under-50) tourist here most of the time here for several years - "visiting friends" is the reason I supply on the forms.

55 minutes ago, bogus1965 said:

Just got back from Savannakhet.

My SETV application was also refused.

Background:

age 51, EU citizen

Non-B in 2015 and before

2x SETV issued in Penang both extended for 30 days

Single Entry Non-ED issued in Savannakhet plus renewed for another 3 month

1x SETV issued in Savannakhet extended for 30 days

Now my SETV application got refused.

By my calculation I stayed 155 days on TV and another 176 days on Non-ED in 2016.

The pattern that seems to be emerging among those rejected, is past legal work-history in Thailand.  We already know (from other reports) that used ED visas are considered to be "proof of working illegally" by many personnel in the system.  Combining the two is definitely problematic. 

Could you let us know what they asked for, if anything, which you might have shown?  I.E. Did you have proof of money, ticket out, etc?  Perhaps not, given years of posts saying you would have "no problem" without such (which was true, until recently).

If it were me, I'd go try in Vientiane, but definitely time for a new passport if you plan to apply for more Tourist Visas in the future.  You'd likely get their "blue" and "red" stamps with it, if successful, though this is not a problem if you are going for a new passport, anyway.  But since you are over 50, getting a visa based on Retirement would be a clearer path, if you can meet the financial requirements.

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The pattern that seems to be emerging among those rejected, is past legal work-history in Thailand.  We already know (from other reports) that used ED visas are considered to be "proof of working illegally" by many personnel in the system.  Combining the two is definitely problematic. 

Could you let us know what they asked for, if anything, which you might have shown?  I.E. Did you have proof of money, ticket out, etc?  Perhaps not, given years of posts saying you would have "no problem" without such (which was true, until recently).

If it were me, I'd go try in Vientiane, but definitely time for a new passport if you plan to apply for more Tourist Visas in the future.  You'd likely get their "blue" and "red" stamps with it, if successful, though this is not a problem if you are going for a new passport, anyway.  But since you are over 50, getting a visa based on Retirement would be a clearer path, if you can meet the financial requirements.

Nope he did not ask for anything in addition.

Guess you are right, it's time for a new passport to get rid of the history.

Thereafter going the clearer path based on retirement.