wp 3 for non b

Hi.I really need a visa but am finding it pretty hard. All this nonsense about good guys in,  I guess a'good guy' is subjective.

So this is my story so far:

I moved here with my wife so that she could be nearer her aging parents. Our marriage is not acknowledged by Thai law, but is in many other countries around the world.

I was originally advised by Thai officials to stay here on tourist visas perpetually until I can get a retirement visa.

I visit temples often, and among them, one of them has a school next to it for novices.

I have struck up a great relationship with the monks there and some of the monks would like me to help them improve their English, especially the English teacher who has asked me if I can correct his lesson plans. We are fine living on my savings and my wife is working in Bangkok right now so I can volunteer. Also the trip to the temple is making a dent in my savings for petrol, so the monks have invited me to live there as a lay person.

So now the visa problems start.

Our local Immigration department doesn't know and told us to see the labor department, they told us they didn't know but they cannot do anything until I get a non-b visa. I checked online at the websites of the embassies and most consensus is that I apply for a non o then go to labor dpt. and ask for a letter and apply for non b from immigration.

To cut a tediously long story short, the main problems we seem to have is that I need a letter from the ministry of education and a work permit wp3 form amongst other things to be a volunteer. I have seen nothing about this on any volunteering website, but this is by the by.

Now, I don't think the letter will be a problem from ministry of education, although not sure, but I seem to get on well with all the folks down city hall. My main problem is how to get a work permit to get the non b without a non b to get the work permit.

Surely this is impossible.

Its like saying you won't buy cheese for a sandwich without the bread and you won't buy the bread without the cheese.

Can I still apply for a TR and sort out the rest of the paperwork over the next few months?

Wrong. I got denied today.

I had letter of invitation

All the correct form filled in.

I also had a copy of the temples registration

And another letter from them asking to supply me with further advice for my return to Thailand.

I was told I had to get a non b, and then asked to provide all the paperwork for that instead.

7 minutes ago, chenposeb said:

Wrong. I got denied today.

You didn't mention that in your first post. You mentioned immigration is all.

Did you ask them why they denied the non-o application?

It seems that they think you want to work as teacher. A work permit application is not required to apply for a non-b for being a teacher but you need a degree and other paperwork.

Yes, sorry, just still a bit peeved, guess I forgot the details.?

I wanted to talk to someone about it but they just ignored me. Didn't even ask me to wait until the queue had gone down or anything.

I am surprised that you need a degree to volunteer. This seems ultra strict. Is this just for helping their teacher by correcting his English? I am still classed as a teacher? How about if I help to give the monks their lunch? Do I need a degree in hospitality?(I know I'm just griping).

The form he gave me as a checklist says I need wp3 to get a non-b. I tried explaining that I was working as a volunteer which was different from working as a job.

He said because on the paperworkthe word school is written. So I need to be a teacher to volunteer there. I tried to get him to explain what he meant and that it was in fact the village temple with a school for novices next door that I was staying at.

The inclusion of the work permit receipt wp3 seems to be the problem, as does the letter from the ministry of education, because why would the ministry of education ask me to help out at the temple doing random volunteer work? It's volunteering, not a job. As I understood it the work permit would be like my driving license, I do not drive my car or motorbike every day at set times, but I need the license to do so when I have to, same with volunteer work permit, just gives me permission to help out when needed. I really don't see how it can be classed as a job.

(I know this post has many gripes and I am not expecting them to be fixed-just wish I knew how to legally stay in the same country as my wife, practising my religion, helping out my friends and living in the house I bought.)

One issue is that Thailand's ministry of labor definition of  work, does not matter if you get paid or not or if you work regular hours or not.

If you are married why don't you get your marriage license from your home country translated, must be a certified translation and then go to the local ampur and register your marriage then you can get a Non-O based on marriage. After that then work on the work permit for volunteer work, I would get someone at the temple to go to ministry of labor to help getting the paperwork done, don't mention school as then they will think you are working..working.   I'm sure Ubonjoe who is the expert in these matters will return and will provide much more information.  Good luck! Thailand is not the easiest place to get things done.