Teach English Abroad Program

Hi everyone!

I'm a 26 year old female, a college graduate, and a person who has a passion for teaching (though is not certified as one in the US -- long story short, it was too late to change to education when I changed my major and I haven't yet wanted to go to grad school)...but I have taught. I taught preschool and tutored high school students intensively, often leading the class while the actual teacher advised which I thought was pretty awesome (I was also 21 at the time and still in school so...yeah.

Going abroad is something I've always wanted to do, but due to life's circumstances, is something that I've never been able to do. But now is perfect. I literally have absolutely nothing but a lease tying me down here, and I could taken care of and could definitely find someone to sublet or take it over no problem, especially leaving when I would if I did this program, and this seems like such a perfect way to do it because I would get to absolutely immerse myself in another culture while doing something I love and getting paid for ir.

So I've looked into a few programs, and I've found one that seems like the best fit for me based on the requirements, but also the support they give you (they've been more than helpful via email and phone and I haven't even decided if I'm doing it or not -- other places, not so friendly), and the different options there are. I've got 2 options since I hold a degree, and while they're similar, they do have differences such as with one you have to find and pay for your own housing, the other it's provided, free. With one it's easier to get a placement because you hold a degree and that's viewed highly, just as it is here in the US and a few other things.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling...has anyone ever done one of these programs? (And if so, which agency did you use and did you like it? -- the agency). What about the experience? How was it? Also, while I am American and a native English speaker, I'm African American, and I know that sometimes people in other countries, just like here can have negative views on different races. How would that be in Thailand?

If I go I'd be there for the school year, May to March because I feel like one semester is just too short. I've considered that yes, I would be leaving my comfortable, familiar life here and pretty much uprooting myself and planting myself on the other side of the globe, I've thought about finances, I've thought about would I miss my family? (Yes, but I'm used to living far from them anyway, though not as far as Thailand far, just across the country from NY to CA far), I've thought about do I think I would like it, I've thought about healthcare...what else should I be thinking about?

I'm pretty sure that I want to do this, and I'm not sure when the application is due, but I know that it's early next year, and next year is almost here! And to apply you need a passport which I don't have, so I'd have to get that, and get on it pretty quickly because I know that they can take awhile. Also get a hold of my birth cert. and probably a few other things.

Other than that, any advice?

Thanks!!

If I were in your shoes, I'd do the following:

1. avoid programs. (you don't need them)

2. come here on an education visa and learn basic Thai, first.  (Basic Thai language/culture skills will really help you.) 

Teaching, here, is not like anything you might expect.  Some good and some bad.

Just keep an open mind and be very, very flexible.

Best of luck to you.

2 minutes ago, rijb said:

If I were in your shoes, I'd do the following:

1. avoid programs. (you don't need them)

2. come here on an education visa and learn basic Thai, first.  (Basic Thai language/culture skills will really help you.) 

Teaching, here, is not like anything you might expect.  Some good and some bad.

Just keep an open mind and be very, very flexible.

Best of luck to you.

Oh no...definitely NOT avoiding programs! They help you out sooooooo much. Especially if you run into any problems. Housing, school placement, health insurance etc. I'm sticking with going with a program. Also, programs have set start and end dates which I like.

I have some idea of what to expect. I have a friend who taught for a year in Thailand and he's told me about it. He also told me that he didn't go through a program and wishes that he had. Another point for programs...life experience.

The orientation of the program also does cover basic Thai and cultural things that you need to know, so that's covered too. Another point for programs. And I'm a self starter, so I've already looked into Thai courses and I haven't even decided if I'm going or not! Unfortunately Duolingo doesn't have it, but there are fairly cheap courses that you can do via the internet, even Skype. And I pick up languages super easily too, so if I do that I'd be absolutely fine in terms of language.

I thank you for your input, but it's not really much advice I'll take other than keeping an open mind and being flexible. Those things don't (shouldn't) change no matter how you decide to experience another culture.

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you plan to do TEFL, do a CELTA either in your home country or in Thailand.

A CELTA will train you to teach adults in a language school environment. Why would you advise this if the OP is looking to teach in formal schools in Thailand.

PS

CELTA isn't part of Cambridge University. It's part of UCLES. Their relationship with the university is the same as Cambridge University Press (CUP) IE commercial.

8 minutes ago, rijb said:

Have you ever been outside the U.S.?

Yes. Never to Asia, but to Europe. Why does that even matter?

I'm not even looking to find a teaching job on my own, I'm going through a program that specifically places non-teachers in schools to teach. I mean, some people may have a degree in education, but it is certainly not a requirement by any means!

4 minutes ago, Loaded said:

A CELTA will train you to teach adults in a language school environment. Why would you advise this if the OP is looking to teach in formal schools in Thailand.

PS

CELTA isn't part of Cambridge University. It's part of UCLES. Their relationship with the university is the same as Cambridge University Press (CUP) IE commercial.

I'm not looking for any certification...just for a year abroad teaching.

With all due respect, why not?

But really, because I love teaching, I love kids, I want to go abroad in some way and make a difference, and I know that teachers are really needed abroad...plus we adopted 4 of my 8 siblings from abroad so it kind of hits home for me to make sure that kids in countries where they need extra help get education.

What makes you question my motives?

PS

The OP has already stated this. Not really sure why the PS is necessary?

You mentioned that you are planning on going through a program.   If it is a program that operates in more than one country, it might be a good option.   If it is an agency that operates out of Thailand, then take extreme care as there are some dodge organizations.   They promise a lot and deliver very little.  

Here are some things to look for:

1.   Do they get you the necessary work-related visa before you leave the US?   For Thailand that would mean a non-immigrant and would generally need to have you already assigned to a school.   Different countries have different regulations, some easier than others.   Thailand is not particularly easy.

2.   Is the contract for a full academic year, with 12 full months of pay?   If not, is the pay high enough to offset any time without pay.   Some schools only pay for 11 months, but the pay is sometimes higher so it evens out.   Most, however, don't increase the pay, so you end up with less disposable income than you might have thought you would have.

3.   Housing is a good option, but some housing is not necessarily suitable to foreign teachers.   The accommodation is sometimes shared.   If it is on the school campus, then you may be subject to restrictive rules.   In the housing I am know of on school campuses, tenants must be in by 10:00 p.m. every night, or stay out until 6:00 a.m.   Also, if the job is not up to your expectations and you decide to leave, you must also leave the house.   Sometimes this is immediately.  

4.  Race is a problem, but it is not restricted to those of African descent.  There is a lot of racism and xenophobia in Asia, and unlike the US, there are no legal protections against it.   On the good side, people are generally not overt and there is not a lot of overt hostility due to race.   They generally save overt, hostile racism for people from other Asian countries.   (People from the Indian subcontinent are the prime example).   Being a black female, you are in a bit of a better position.   It is the big, black men from Africa who a lot of the locals are afraid of.  

5.   Try to get yourself either in or relatively near a reasonably large urban center.   Rural areas can be a bit desolate and the culture shock can be a little too much to handle.   If you are within easy traveling distance to an urban center, you will have access to food, amenities and reasonable health care.  

Best of luck.  

8 hours ago, Scott said:

1.   Do they get you the necessary work-related visa before you leave the US?   For Thailand that would mean a non-immigrant and would generally need to have you already assigned to a school.   Different countries have different regulations, some easier than others.   Thailand is not particularly easy.

Schools are usually very reluctant to provide paperwork to support a visa application until they meet the foreigner.

Some programs do arrange this but as you say there is no choice regarding school/location. You get what they give you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 8:51 AM, lildropofsunshine said:

The program makes sure that you have everything that you need before you go, and you do get some say in placement.

The placement/pay to work/agency aspect of teaching abroad is the dodgiest part of a dodgy business.  It is very likely you would have to go to Vientiane and get a working visa, after accepting employment.  Get a passport and a tourist visa for 60 days....hit the pavement in BKK.  You are looking at 1000 USD per month....take out deductions/airfare/visa costs and you will see why it will be so easy to find a job.  They can higher Filipinos for half price......

Archived