Tirade of abuse at Phuket Traffic Police earns defamation charge

webfact

Tirade of abuse at Phuket Traffic Police earns defamation charge

Eakkapop Thongtub

1480589063_1-org.jpg

The man was seen on VDO hurling abuse at a traffic police officer. Photo: Eakkapop Thontub

PHUKET: -- A motorist in Phuket Town who railed against a traffic police officer for issuing him a parking ticket because the man had blocked a driveway in a red-and-white zone now faces a defamation charge for a tirade he later posted on Facebook.

The incident went viral online overnight after a video was posted showing the man, who police declined to name, verbally abusing a Phuket City Traffic Police officer for locking the man’s pickup truck with a chain around the front-right wheel and issuing him a parking ticket.

In the video, the officer explained that the man had parked in a red-and-white no-parking zone, on Yaowarat Rd near Vachira Phuket Hospital.

The man reacted claiming that he had only parked across a driveway to a worksite, hence he had not parked literally alongside the red-and-white painted curb.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tirade-of-abuse-at-phuket-traffic-police-earns-defamation-charge-60085.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-02

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Most people disagree with this defamation law, but we all now know the rules, so best to just not post things that will get you into trouble.

Ideally they stop with the shitty defamation lawsuits and just give him an extra ticket for abuse of an officer on duty.

If the officer was right and explained himself correctly anyone seeing the video should be able to tell the guy was in the wrong and nobody would think any less of the police.

Thats a big IF.

Well the police chief cancelled the parking ticket, so he should declare defamation void as well. Basically the parking officer was wrong about issuing the ticket because the guy wasn't parked in the red white zone but a non used driveway.

Had an officer once in West Hollywood give me a ticket for parking when the signs said street cleaning that day, but it was actually the day after. Even though I pointed to the signs etc she would not stop writing the ticket.....this is because once they start they cannot stop because it would look as if they took a bribe if they cancelled the ticket. Of course I had to take a pic of the sign and mail it in with the ticket showing the mistake. Just be grateful we don't have parking meters here.....they have their own problems. Of course some genius invented a meter that reverts to zero time when the car drives away, thus forcing the next car to pay again. Civilization.

28 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Well the police chief cancelled the parking ticket, so he should declare defamation void as well. Basically the parking officer was wrong about issuing the ticket because the guy wasn't parked in the red white zone but a non used driveway.

Had an officer once in West Hollywood give me a ticket for parking when the signs said street cleaning that day, but it was actually the day after. Even though I pointed to the signs etc she would not stop writing the ticket.....this is because once they start they cannot stop because it would look as if they took a bribe if they cancelled the ticket. Of course I had to take a pic of the sign and mail it in with the ticket showing the mistake. Just be grateful we don't have parking meters here.....they have their own problems. Of course some genius invented a meter that reverts to zero time when the car drives away, thus forcing the next car to pay again. Civilization.

"Basically the parking officer was wrong about issuing the ticket "

Seems the police chief does not agree with you, since he said "I cancelled the parking ticket for him, but warned him that he would be charged if he did it again".

9 hours ago, fester the benevolent said:

Has anybody in any country ever managed to talk their way out once the officer has licked the pencil and started writing?

Hell yes they just shoot them dead in the US. And then blame it on history.

On 02/12/2016 at 1:08 PM, fester the benevolent said:

Has anybody in any country ever managed to talk their way out once the officer has licked the pencil and started writing?

Yes, the man in this report did.  Ticket cancelled.

Edited by gdgbb