Thai Union outlines at women’s conference its efforts to fight slavery

Thai Union outlines at women’s conference its efforts to fight slavery

By THE NATION

40982720e6e8577ee6feb3290d0bcf23.jpeg

Darian McBain, Thai Union global director of sustainable development, at the panel discussion on cleaning the supply chain of forced labour at the Trust Women Conference 2016.

THAI UNION took part in the annual Trust Women Conference held on November 30, which discussed real solutions to empower women to fight slavery worldwide. The company was represented by Darian McBain, its global director of sustainable development.

McBain joined the panel to discuss cleaning the supply chain of forced labour, and she presented the Fishers Fund as an action plan to the conference.

Thai Union yesterday also launched its new SeaChange website yesterday, focusing on the company’s sustainability strategy.

Full story:  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30301333

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-03

On 12/3/2016 at 2:13 PM, elgordo38 said:

There are so many levels of slavery its mind boggling. Its starts at the indentured level of servitude right up to the boss hassling you daily to go get his coffee. Pick an entry point. 

This is not about getting coffee for your boss, from the article: “many migrant workers fall victim to unscrupulous recruitment brokers and find themselves in irrepayable debt, without documentation, working in unbearable conditions, and no access to the outside world.”

For a closer look at what actually goes on, I suggest you read this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/world/outlaw-ocean-thailand-fishing-sea-slaves-pets.html

This is not only about exploiting migrant workers, it’s straight up kidnapping!

1 hour ago, lkn said:

This is not about getting coffee for your boss, from the article: “many migrant workers fall victim to unscrupulous recruitment brokers and find themselves in irrepayable debt, without documentation, working in unbearable conditions, and no access to the outside world.”

For a closer look at what actually goes on, I suggest you read this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/world/outlaw-ocean-thailand-fishing-sea-slaves-pets.html

This is not only about exploiting migrant workers, it’s straight up kidnapping!

Thank you Mr. 164 posts for your comments. Once you reach a 1000 we should revisit things. I am making a comparison of the levels of slavery from the extreme to the smallest of smallest. Topics do give us a little latitude. I know your new hang in there.