Importing A Car From Japan

ning & john

It's been a while since this question was asked, but it pops up on a regular basis, do a quick search for 'car import' or something similar.

Quick answer, don't bother, taxes and duty are punitive and random (often 100-200% of new value) :o

Buy a vehicle in Thailand, prices seem high but residual value holds well :D :D

My self i would not risk it, as the tax would be high in Thailand, i asked about this bringing a sports car from UK, if it had been in thai wifes name for 18 months and she had licence, no duty to pay, thai returning to Thailand,

I know a guy that buys bikes from Japan, he brings them in no problem, but first takes them to bits and ships them as parts,then rebuilds them in his shop, and sold on with invoice, then up to the customer to register them, there are a lot of bike shops that do this. but with a car a bit more hassle and expect to pay lots of baht.

Why not go to one of the auctions at the port, where you can buy seized cars at discount price, there was a post about this on thai visa.

if it had been in thai wifes name for 18 months and she had licence, no duty to pay, thai returning to Thailand,

Are you aware of anyone actually achieving this route?

No, it does sound a bit iffey, but this is what the Consulates office in UK will tell you, i bet you there will be money transactions somewhere, and not the UK,

Fingers off!

But anyway, there are rules and regulations. 18 months and driving licence are two of them.

Returning Thai residents marrying foreigners: It is required that the importer have owned, possessed, and used the imported vehicle while staying abroad for at least one and a half year, from the date of transferring of ownership to the date of arriving in Thailand. In addition, a Marriage Certificate and relevant evidence indicating the change of residence to Thailand must also be shown to Customs.
or alternativelky returning Thais, not using the marriag-way:
Returning Thai residents working/studying/living abroad: The permanent import of personal vehicles under this condition is allowed only when the vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and the importer have owned, possessed, and used the imported vehicles together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

Once this is clarified either way and the import licence is obtained, the car can be imported and Customs verifies the documents, and assesses liable taxes and duties;

If the car was registered for 18 months there will be a discount of 21.67 % on the 80% import duty but not on excise and interior tax, neither on VAT, albeit the discount will influence this.

BTW, all duties and taxes (not considering a discount as shown above will come for a car not exceeding 2400 cc. to 213.171 % and this amount is based on the CIF-value estimated by your friendly customs officer.

Any more questions? The rules are here and just forget it. Three criteria

a) The customs office decides the value.

':o The duty is "only" 80%, but people forget about excise- and interior tax as well as VAT.

c) Whatever value freight and insurance costs has to be added plus some landing charges

A last point, generally import of used cars is not allowed (fullstop)

The privilege for returning residence, they can import one used vehicle and are than allowed to pay for duty and taxes as above.

For more fun, have a look here:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

Edited to get the link working

Edited by Axel

If you have diplomatic status, you are allowed to import a car to Thailand with no tax. One condition is that you cannot sell it for several years (5, I think).

It's very profitable with high value cars (Mercedes), even after 5 years it is possible to re-sell it at a higher price than the overseas purchase price.

If you have diplomatic status, you are allowed to import a car to Thailand with no tax. One condition is that you cannot sell it for several years (5, I think).

It's very profitable with high value cars (Mercedes), even after 5 years it is possible to re-sell it at a higher price than the overseas purchase price.

True pete_r and not only diplomatic but as well international organizations like UN. Those are the blue licence plates.

5 years before the vehicle can be sold and requires an official letter to the ministry and their confirmation.

Years ago the timebar was one year, only but the trade was getting too big.

I was thinking about buying a 3 year old car eg Toyota Celica from a japan auction (the cars are very cheap) and bringing it to Thailand.Does anyone know what the tax would be.

That vehicle is worth nothing in Japan. Not it's weight. You might be paid to take it from someone, like a scrap man.

Such a commodity vehicle is not a value in any way. Like a 386 computers being junked.

Drop the idea, if you have already acquired it, be happy not to pay for it's disposal.

I believe the Japanese are honest enough not to let you come close to such a deal.

Even if Thais let you bring her in with no duty, it may cost you 4-5K just for transporting her.

If you really insist...go for it. Or, the cost of disposing it in Japan equals the cost of transporting it to Thai? Could be close.