Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

Just now, mamborobert said:

Also worthwhile seeing how active the anti red cab facebook page is that is also referenced in thsi article......some 8000 Thai followers/members and almost daily updates.  Very pro Grab and Uber.  Clearly Thais have a problem with the Red Cab service as well.  Issue I have is that it is alright having a supplement with Uber and Grab but there still needs to be a better scheduled and/or regular public transport system for the Thais going about town like kids going to and from School, or folk carrying wares to sell, or coming from Arcade bus station with luggae etc.

https://www.facebook.com/antiredtaxi?fref=ts.

Yeah I can't speak for anyone but myself, But I'm pleased to see that Thais use social media to try to fight these powerful conservative lobbies...

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we have received the petition in the mail .

"Three years ago, we set out to make it easier and safer for Bangkokians to travel in the city through ridesharing, connecting ordinary people with a car with those that need a ride. Our goal was to make sure that people could get to where they needed to go, provide economic opportunities for the driver partners on our platform, and get more people into fewer cars.

In the past few years, we’ve also engaged with the government to show them the benefits of ridesharing services. The government wants Uber to be regulated under the Motor Vehicle Act B.E.2522 (1979), which was drafted over 38 years ago when the concept of “ridesharing” and smartphone technology didn’t exist. By insisting on this, the country risks missing out on the full benefits that ridesharing brings to riders, drivers and cities. It also goes against the government’s  “Thailand’s 4.0 initiative,” which aims to make the country into a regional hub of technology and innovation. So we’re asking for your help today in keeping Uber on the road & pushing for amendments to the Act that will regulate ridesharing services.

If you believe that Thailand and our visitors should be able to decide how we travel in our cities, make your voice heard!" 

Sign the petition here: 

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/enpetition-rider/

17 hours ago, bubba said:

Think again. Uber drivers might gross 1500 baht/day, but they are not netting 1500 baht/day.

In my earlier posts I already mentioned that I talked to a lady driver who makes around 3000 baht on a good day , then you can remove all the expenses and you'll end up with around 1000-1500 baht . It depends on the car , and if they are the owner or not.  

Its a good way to make an income in Thailand. Also they do receive tips from around 50% of the passengers.  

3 hours ago, balo said:

In my earlier posts I already mentioned that I talked to a lady driver who makes around 3000 baht on a good day , then you can remove all the expenses and you'll end up with around 1000-1500 baht . It depends on the car , and if they are the owner or not.  

Its a good way to make an income in Thailand. Also they do receive tips from around 50% of the passengers.  

You would need to be as tight as a dolphins bum not to tip an Uber driver.

Dropped off car at service...A hard to find garage. Tried Uber for my first time...OM Goodness was it nice...He found me of course and took me all the way to my home deep in Mae Rim...Tipped him well and left with a smile on my face..LONG LIVE UBER...

was it easy

Just read an article in that other newspaper saying that DLT officials are saying that they need to step up the crackdown on Uber in Chiang Mai "to bring order to public transport services for the sake of passenger safety and interests."

DLT Chief Sanit Phromwong said "All of these measures are aimed at protecting passengers from unwanted incidents and offences,"

That's right...DLT is very concerned about our safety and interests, and they want us to be protected from unwanted incidents and offences. Of course we all know how much safer and protected from unwanted incidents and offences we will be if we use Tuk Tuks and Songthaews rather than Uber cars.

In that very same article in todays Bangkok Post this earsling Sanit Phromwong had the audacity to claim that most of the 100000 taxis listed give good service and that his department, LTD, take passengers complaints seriously. In what altered universe is he talking about??? Kissing the arse of the Taxi Mafia here in Chiang Mai may have been the operating model in the past but no more. When your everyday normal Thai person takes to social media to voice their frustrations about the taxi and red bus service it's only a matter of time before their voices are heard and they get answered. As for his minions posing as customers, just how desperate can they be? Uber and Grab drivers caught in this B.S. should alert their fellow drivers to these earslings by posting a list of the phone numbers used by these people amongst themselves. When one of those numbers shows up when they try to book a Uber or Grab ride guess what, no one accepts your booking. Uber and Grab are here to stay, get used to it Sanit Phromwong or get out of their way.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 07/03/2017 at 1:14 PM, thai006 said:

on saturday nite i was in central festival and no uber want to come ; the taxi mafia say to me  the police come and fine the driver and passenger that why they dont want come here again , so i take tuk tuk to back home 150 dammmm

Just walk away 200 Meters down a small Soi and then order an UBER, you certainly should be able to get one. Surrendering to the TukTuk scammers is the worst one can do, as this will give them a boost to report or even assault UBER drivers in the future

Just saw that the Government now claims to be developing their own app. 

The government plans to introduce its own cellphone app, Taxi OK, for passengers to call government-endorsed taxis featuring GPS tracking systems and closed-circuit cameras.

No date was given when the app would be introduced, or how it would work. The government had a similar "in development" app when it declared Uber and Grab apps illegal to call motorcycle taxis.

Seems the key term here is "in development". But I have no doubt that Somchai Apps, Ltd., acting as a consultant for the land transport department, will soon release a taxi app and once in the hands of all those tech savvy taxi drivers, it will put Uber to shame.

Edited by bubba

I've been hearing about Uber and the like for a couple of years now, blah blah blah blah.  

Just come back from Australia, and having used them there's no going back.  It seems that many drivers do the school run and as soon as the kids are dropped off, the mothers turn their Uber Driver App on and make themselves a bit of money until they have to pick the kids up again - sometimes quite a lot of money.

Of course in Sydney it's turning into a bit of a drama because some parents are doing it the other way around and having Uber pick up their kids and take them to school then pick them up and drop them off.  I can see how it makes it convenient for working mum's, but as a woman who has never had (or wanted) kids, aren't they supposed to be your most important asset?  No point saying we have the drivers full details after something awful happens to a child.

In Melbourne the taxi drivers were protesting quite a lot whilst we were there - after having been in a taxi with a recently arrived immigrant/student who has rather bad hygiene and needs help with directions to the most famous landmark in the city, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, it's a no-brainer.  I mean, for even the most recent arrival to Melbourne, today even, how can you not know where the MCG is for goodness sake?

Taxi's have had their day in Aus.  State governments, one by one, have backed down on the initial 'No way, Not ever' stance to putting it into a grey area where the drivers don't get fined any more to legalising or trying to work out the legislation.

What's next here though - hotels going crying to the government about AirBnB and Stayz?

I think that they (and us) are just going to have to accept that it's the way of the future.  Until I'd actually experienced Uber it was just something that was happening in developed countries and didn't affect me.  Now, I can't wait for it to roll out fully here.  Uber has experienced the same problem in every new market they've gone into.  They've (as promised) paid the fines the drivers receive because they know that popular opinion will overcome in the long run.  All power to them as far as I'm concerned.  It's certainly changed the way people get around in Melbourne, and not just in the city, in the suburbs too.  Going to the airport from the outer western suburbs, our driver was there within 5 minutes; on talking to him, he just lives around the corner from where we were, literally 2 streets away, and had only just put the drivers app on as he was just finishing up his breakfast.

Changed my mind from Uber being a blah blah blah topic to seeing the way things will be in the future.

11 minutes ago, bubba said:

Just saw that the Government now claims to be developing their own app. 

Forget about it.

They said the same a year ago or so when they banned motocy-hailing apps in BKK......

typical nonsense-BLABLABLA to silence  the public

If the government is REALLY interested to make public transport safer for everyone and eliminate the bad apples (of which there are many), they need to implement a GOOD (means created by people who know what they are doing) app where you can report any Taxi driver, Tuk Tuk driver, Bus Driver, Motocy driver for anything inappropriate - and then really TAKE ACTION after receiving the report (means fine the driver). I know some sort of app exists already but I have heard from many it is basically useless and difficult to use (anybody can confirm?)

If the government is REALLY interested to make public transport safer for everyone and eliminate the bad apples (of which there are many), they need to implement a GOOD (means created by people who know what they are doing) app where you can report any Taxi driver, Tuk Tuk driver, Bus Driver, Motocy driver for anything inappropriate - and then really TAKE ACTION after receiving the report (means fine the driver). I know some sort of app exists already but I have heard from many it is basically useless and difficult to use (anybody can confirm?)

There's already an app that does all that. It's called Uber.

Yes, the Land Transport Dept. released an app some time ago so you could rate taxis or file a complaint. It's called DLT Check In. The app has not been updated in two years. The iOS version just crashed all the time for me and I dumped it. I seriously doubt anyone really looked at the reports anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

16 minutes ago, bubba said:

There's already an app that does all that. It's called Uber.

Yes, the Land Transport Dept. released an app some time ago so you could rate taxis or file a complaint. It's called DLT Check In. The app has not been updated in two years. The iOS version just crashed all the time for me and I dumped it. I seriously doubt anyone really looked at the reports anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That confirms what I heard. typical "Thai way"

Sadly, UBER may soon be history if they continue the crackdown on REALLY "safe transport", to protect the unsafe, overpriced, erratic "regulated" transport means, brought to you (e.g. = controlled) by your local politicians and the BIB

3 hours ago, bubba said:

Just read an article in that other newspaper saying that DLT officials are saying that they need to step up the crackdown on Uber in Chiang Mai "to bring order to public transport services for the sake of passenger safety and interests."

DLT Chief Sanit Phromwong said "All of these measures are aimed at protecting passengers from unwanted incidents and offences,"

That's right...DLT is very concerned about our safety and interests, and they want us to be protected from unwanted incidents and offences. Of course we all know how much safer and protected from unwanted incidents and offences we will be if we use Tuk Tuks and Songthaews rather than Uber cars.

Yeah, because at least red cars and tuk tuks have safety belts!! Oh wait...

1 hour ago, Konini said:

I've been hearing about Uber and the like for a couple of years now, blah blah blah blah.  

Just come back from Australia, and having used them there's no going back.  It seems that many drivers do the school run and as soon as the kids are dropped off, the mothers turn their Uber Driver App on and make themselves a bit of money until they have to pick the kids up again - sometimes quite a lot of money.

Of course in Sydney it's turning into a bit of a drama because some parents are doing it the other way around and having Uber pick up their kids and take them to school then pick them up and drop them off.  I can see how it makes it convenient for working mum's, but as a woman who has never had (or wanted) kids, aren't they supposed to be your most important asset?  No point saying we have the drivers full details after something awful happens to a child.

In Melbourne the taxi drivers were protesting quite a lot whilst we were there - after having been in a taxi with a recently arrived immigrant/student who has rather bad hygiene and needs help with directions to the most famous landmark in the city, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, it's a no-brainer.  I mean, for even the most recent arrival to Melbourne, today even, how can you not know where the MCG is for goodness sake?

Taxi's have had their day in Aus.  State governments, one by one, have backed down on the initial 'No way, Not ever' stance to putting it into a grey area where the drivers don't get fined any more to legalising or trying to work out the legislation.

What's next here though - hotels going crying to the government about AirBnB and Stayz?

I think that they (and us) are just going to have to accept that it's the way of the future.  Until I'd actually experienced Uber it was just something that was happening in developed countries and didn't affect me.  Now, I can't wait for it to roll out fully here.  Uber has experienced the same problem in every new market they've gone into.  They've (as promised) paid the fines the drivers receive because they know that popular opinion will overcome in the long run.  All power to them as far as I'm concerned.  It's certainly changed the way people get around in Melbourne, and not just in the city, in the suburbs too.  Going to the airport from the outer western suburbs, our driver was there within 5 minutes; on talking to him, he just lives around the corner from where we were, literally 2 streets away, and had only just put the drivers app on as he was just finishing up his breakfast.

Changed my mind from Uber being a blah blah blah topic to seeing the way things will be in the future.

I was also introduced to Uber in Melbourne. Had to get to the airport for an international flight and the taxi companies were on strike. It was all over the news: protesting against Uber.

With no taxi's available I had only one option left.

I got an Uber.

12 hours ago, sharktooth said:

You would need to be as tight as a dolphins bum not to tip an Uber driver.

Well tipping is not necessary , this is not the US.  

You can travel with UBER without cash , that's why we register it to a bank account. 

I would say most local Thais would not tip . 

16 minutes ago, balo said:

You can travel with UBER without cash , that's why we register it to a bank account. 

Because Thailand is not the USA does not mean that you would not want to tip an Uber driver who did a great job, got you where you needed to be in a air condition car for half of what a songthaew would have cost you.

Besides, Thais do tip. It might not be a huge tip, but they tip Uber drivers or car park attendants or wait staff. Some might call it nam jai.  If you are too cheap to give a good Uber driver a tip – well, you are right...tipping is not necessary.

31 minutes ago, balo said:

You'll be a dolphins bum then?

The first thing  I did was to register my Kasikorn bank account to the UBER app.   So it's automatic charged the moment I enter the car.  

It doesn't mean I do not tip a few baht if I have some cash in my pocket.   But it's not expected like in some other countries.  

Edited by balo

From the Nation Newspaper

Will be interesting to see if they can win

It can be classified as a different mode of transport

Uber has insisted it is not a taxi service, but ridesharing service instead. Responding to developments in Thailand, Uber on Thursday called on the public to sign a petition to support its service.

Yes, I'm afraid I have to agree.  As a Brit who lived in Australia for 20 years, I get rather embarrassed about the whole tipping thing.  It just isn't something I've been brought up to do in England and in my adult life in Aus it wasn't expected/done either, although that seems to be changing in some restaurants now.  I round off, no problem, don't wait for change, but that's rounding up; the act of tipping itself makes me feel very awkward.

A great many (but not all) Americans can't understand this attitude as it is something they were brought up to do and think we are just being tight ar$es. Where I come from it this attitude towards tipping seems to go back to the days when the man from the big house would give you a ha'penny and say 'Good boy, and we'd tug our forelock and say 'Oooh, thank 'ye sir'. Also, for us receiving a tip is just as embarrassing as giving one.

No doubt different in London now, but in the north it remains the same today.

Just remember if you happen to travel to the States.Where the Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr depending on the state tipped employees can legally be paid $2.13.

and tips are taxable. The servers who get pockets picked by cheap diners  don't know about the shame half a century ago when 'Guvner threw  a half-farthing.

21 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Just went through setting up the Uber app and the cash payment option is no longer available, only credit/debit cards.

Ok, be careful with that, uber charged my coworker 350 thb the morning after! Because her trip went to hang dong and the initial charge of 70thb was incorrect..

But i think they have removed the 350thb flat fee for cm - hang dong now..

But im just saying :)

4 minutes ago, hobz said:

Ok, be careful with that, uber charged my coworker 350 thb the morning after! Because her trip went to hang dong and the initial charge of 70thb was incorrect..

But i think they have removed the 350thb flat fee for cm - hang dong now..

But im just saying :)

A few weeks back, I was charged 350 baht for an Uber ride between Chang Puak and the airport. This was obviously an error, so I asked for a fare review through the Uber app and I was refunded 200 baht within a couple of hours.

4 minutes ago, bubba said:

A few weeks back, I was charged 350 baht for an Uber ride between Chang Puak and the airport. This was obviously an error, so I asked for a fare review through the Uber app and I was refunded 200 baht within a couple of hours.

Ok, glad it workef out for you but my coworker contacted uber support several times and they refused to apologize or refund, quoting flat fee cm - hd. I think many people complained about this (me included) and the flat fee seems to be gone now.