Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

48 minutes ago, bubba said:

There is a flat rate to Doi Suthep. The fare was 250 baht, but I heard that Uber recently raised it to 350 baht.

Also, I received a message from Uber a couple of weeks ago saying that they would provide a fixed price to all destinations when you request a ride. You would be charged this regardless of the distance or time. I have not used Uber since I received that message, but maybe someone else has and can verify.

Yes, i can confirm that the estimator in the android app tells 350 to doi suthep.

But when i enter nimman - hang dong it says like 103THB now where before it would say 350... Did they remove the flat rate to hang dong??

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, MadMac said:

Ok, after all, it is usable?

Yes, the prices are very good in town at least.. From nimman to central festival, 50-60 thb in a clean aircon car.. Beats taking a tuktuknor songtaew or a overpriced taximeter every time.

But there is also the app "grab" that sports almost same price... Men and gf use uber/grab when its too hot outside to be riding motorbike :)

just having issues with going far out of town like to hang dong where uber charged us 350 once.. Now im not sure if they still have that

6 hours ago, hobz said:

Yes, the prices are very good in town at least.. From nimman to central festival, 50-60 thb in a clean aircon car.. Beats taking a tuktuknor songtaew or a overpriced taximeter every time.

But there is also the app "grab" that sports almost same price... Men and gf use uber/grab when its too hot outside to be riding motorbike :)

just having issues with going far out of town like to hang dong where uber charged us 350 once.. Now im not sure if they still have that

You can also book Grab in advance.

8 hours ago, hobz said:

+1. Uber is a great service in Chiang Mai

57 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

bangkok post today reported a crackdown on Uber drivers in Chiang Mai. Just opened the app and saw a serious shortage of drivers around....

Yes, I just saw that article as well. It says that officials are doing sting operations with undercover passengers and have already summoned 100 drivers and fined five yesterday at 2000 baht each. 

Not sure how long this will last, but sadly it looks like this may be the end of Uber in Chiang Mai, at least for now.

26 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Only a matter of time before the taxi mafia <removed> got their way.

It would appear that already have. 

This really is a pity as so many tourists complained about the transport system in Chiang Mai and many were really troubled by it, or overcharged. That all changed when Uber came to town, with both tourists and locals really liking it. Further, Uber was providing income for a lot of people. I had a ride with one driver who told me that she and her brother bought a Honda Jazz back in January just to do Uber. They drove in shifts, earned the car payment the first week of the month and then made their income on the remaining three weeks. 

So, one step forward and two steps back it seems.

I posted the question some time ago - "Do any Uber drivers have commercial insurance to cover pay-for-hire passenger accident fees?" I got zero answers, probably because none do. So use the cheap service while you can - and hope you are not involved in a crash. 300 baht - around $10 or $12 bucks - up to you.

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

I posted the question some time ago - "Do any Uber drivers have commercial insurance to cover pay-for-hire passenger accident fees?" I got zero answers, probably because none do. So use the cheap service while you can - and hope you are not involved in a crash. 300 baht - around $10 or $12 bucks - up to you.

Aye, cos all the "metered" taxi drivers do.

8 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You think the taximeters, tuk tuks or red cars in Chiang Mai have that type of insurance? I guess they are more likely to have that. 

Uber insures the passenger somehow... "

When the Uber app is turned on, a low level of liability insurance becomes active. When a trip is accepted, a higher level of coverage kicks in and remains active until the passenger exits the vehicle. Previously Uber had only offered coverage when a passenger was in the car, but the company updated their policy after a series of accidents which resulted in various lawsuits.

"

But they also mention that the drivers must check if their insurance policy covers "for-hire" situations .. and they say that often it does not ... I'm confused...But I think maybe the driver will not get any money, but the passenger will be insured by uber.  This fits with the general picture of uber (exploiting the drivers)

20 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

It's not only about the price. It's VERY hard to find a taxi at all in some areas in Chiang Mai.. specially during night ... but also very annoying during the day when it's so hot outside... And driving your own car is expensive.. Driving a motorbike is extremely dangerous unless you are a good and experienced driver.... So yeah.. uber is a good choice even if you increase the price.

The thai taxi drivers don't speak english,, very hard to explain to them sometimes. And they can barely read maps (amazing!) .. with uber at least there's some clarity on where to go :)

Edited by hobz

I have a list of taxi drivers. All speak English. Do not use them much, but friends coming for a visit use them many times.

Commercial vehicles must have insurance to cover 'For Hire' passengers.

Let me know about one case, involving an Uber driver, where the passenger was injured and all costs were covered by the insurance, and I will post a retraction.

Until then, use who you want, where you want, when you want.

Been driving - and riding - here over 15 years. It is not bad, you just have to learn how. Some people find this more difficult than others.

Hey! New promotion happening right now ! 

Get 75 baht off each of your next 5 trips between today and March 5 , only valid between 3pm and 3am.  Basically that means free trips in C.M. 

All you have to do is input the promo code under Payment → Add Promo/Gift Code.

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/himarchcm-en/

Edited by balo

28 minutes ago, balo said:

Hey! New promotion happening right now ! 

Get 75 baht off each of your next 5 trips between today and March 5 , only valid between 3pm and 3am.  Basically that means free trips in C.M. 

All you have to do is input the promo code under Payment → Add Promo/Gift Code.

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/himarchcm-en/

So according to the newspaper article, the authorities had a crackdown yesterday and summoned 100 drivers, the fine is 2000 baht, and now there is this special offer? Are there actually any Uber drivers out there willing to take the risk??

UBER is big worldwide and I believe they try to take care of their drivers if in trouble.

In Thailand the fines are not big compared to the western world so maybe UBER is offering some sort of credit back to the drivers . 

When I look at the GPS map right now  theres plenty of drivers around my area.

Edited by balo

While I've used Uber and appreciate the service (and prices) I've received, I can see both sides of this issue. 

When one is driving for hire back in my state (US), that driver has to have special licensing (a chauffeur's license), specified insurance, background checks of the drivers, and the vehicles have to undergo special inspection.  And all of this is done for the safety of the public hiring those drivers.   Regular (and cheaper) auto insurance there will not cover personal injuries involving driving for hire and, yes, the insurance for a drive-for-hire business costs much more.

So how should the government deal with an outfit (Uber, Lyft, Grab, or whatever) that's handling a drive-for-hire business?  No regulation seems a bit foolish to me and that seems to be part of what several governments are trying to deal with.  And, yea, there's the ingrained system (the songteaw group, taxi companies, and tuk tuks) that are going to try to react to protect their own turf/monopoly (plus they're wondering why do they have to pay licensing fees or whatever when the Uber drivers don't).  Interesting dilemma.

Why would you need regulation or licensing to transport people around town? Transport is something so incredibly elementary you wonder why on earth it needs to be made so complicated by the authorities?

That's the great thing about Uber, it exposes that beautifully.

Uber revolves around merit. There's an incentive to do well in the form of your driver rating. Compare that to the taxi industry where buying your license is basically buying your right to be sh*t.

And then there's the benefit of not being able to be long-hauled. No haggling about pricing, no scamming etc.

Open your eyes people, Uber is the way forward.

I do feel sympathy for taxi drivers who invested in their license but they have to understand that they invested in an archaic business model. 

Here's a thought. Perhaps Uber (with their deep pockets) should buy their licenses of them and then they can join Uber?

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

While I've used Uber and appreciate the service (and prices) I've received, I can see both sides of this issue. 

When one is driving for hire back in my state (US), that driver has to have special licensing (a chauffeur's license), specified insurance, background checks of the drivers, and the vehicles have to undergo special inspection.  And all of this is done for the safety of the public hiring those drivers.   Regular (and cheaper) auto insurance there will not cover personal injuries involving driving for hire and, yes, the insurance for a drive-for-hire business costs much more.

So how should the government deal with an outfit (Uber, Lyft, Grab, or whatever) that's handling a drive-for-hire business?  No regulation seems a bit foolish to me and that seems to be part of what several governments are trying to deal with.  And, yea, there's the ingrained system (the songteaw group, taxi companies, and tuk tuks) that are going to try to react to protect their own turf/monopoly (plus they're wondering why do they have to pay licensing fees or whatever when the Uber drivers don't).  Interesting dilemma.

I hear ya. 

You missed that uber has insurance for the passenger in case of an accident.

Also, uber has been around for years now and it's pretty clear that it's pretty much as safe the normal taxi business.

When you're on a trip, your liability to third parties is covered by Uber's $1 million insurance policy. It covers each and every incident that .

on saturday nite i was in central festival and no uber want to come ; the taxi mafia say to me  the police come and fine the driver and passenger that why they dont want come here again , so i take tuk tuk to back home 150 dammmm

On 3/4/2017 at 0:08 PM, hobz said:

When you're on a trip, your liability to third parties is covered by Uber's $1 million insurance policy. It covers each and every incident that .

Still waiting for a case to actually happen - and to see the results of said accident. Pay immediately, or after litigation.

Edited by canthai55