Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would appear that the airport is not the only destination with a fixed price.

Hang Dong Golf Club is 300 baht (17 km) and Kad Farang Village is 350 baht (13 km), another location in Hang Dong also showed me 350 baht.

11 minutes ago, lkn said:

It would appear that the airport is not the only destination with a fixed price.

Hang Dong Golf Club is 300 baht (17 km) and Kad Farang Village is 350 baht (13 km), another location in Hang Dong also showed me 350 baht.

I noticed that as well. I can get a taxi to Kad Farang for 300, but Uber want 350. 

On 08/01/2017 at 5:09 PM, anotheruser said:

That's funny. I was just in Bali and there are signs everywhere saying no Uber or Grab pick ups. So the day after new year I need a taxi for a short distance in Seminyak. The restaurant called the taxi and said the taxi wanted 100,000 Rupiah and that was the best they could negotiate for us. 

The fare should have been maybe 35,000 at most. I agreed to it because what are you going to do? Anyway so on the way back I started talking to my friend about how great Uber is, how they have better drivers and cars, how they are cheaper, more pleasant to deal with etc, I really went over the top with it and watched the driver in the mirror get agitated as I talked about it.

He wouldn't even drop us off directly at our destination so the last thing I told him is Uber does that lol

I hope he had a pleasant night after ward. Quite amusing to be able to directly let him know you have me this time but your days are numbered, there are other choices now. Happy 2017!

you agreed to a total rip-off. Easy to walk just 100 Meters or so and then order an UBER or GRAB to pick you up around the corner. And if not those, call BLUEBIRD hotline and the will send a metered cab that ALWAYS switches on the Meter without saying a word (unless you hopped on one of those numerous Bluebird-copycats)

On 08/01/2017 at 7:44 PM, anotheruser said:

I believe the one the restaurant called was a Bluebird. Taxis in Bali no matter what kind they were would not take a fare for anything less than 50,000 Rupiah. Not sure if this is just lately but that was the case a week ago. Transport there was as bad as Phuket price wise. Anyway sure let's get back to Chiang Mai and Uber but it seems most everything has been said now.

That is not a Bluebird then, as a Bluebird cab would even accept a 15K fare. If not, the driver won't last long

OK, off-topic again, but In defence of Bluebird, I have taken them extensively in both Jakarta and Bali and never once had a problem. Meter was always used whether I phoned for them, used their app or flagged one down. Bluebird have built their reputation on being fair and honest, and that is why they are so successful in Indonesia.

Yes, I have been told there are fake Bluebird taxis, but I can't believe a real Bluebird taxi would have charged you anything other than the meter, even if the restaurant called them for you.

I just went to sign up to Uber.
It asked for my card details, but I have heard one can pay cash in Chiangmai (question: and all Thailand??) if ordering via Line.
So is it possible to join without card details which i prefer not to use if poss?
BTW how does one order taxi by Line or I presume there's an Uber app?

Another thought....my Line already has .uber as a friend......does that mean I'm already to go without further sign up?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

thanks Sharky

Humph!

I entered my phone number and clicked "l forgot my password"
It went next page to ask my email address.
I wrote it.
It told me that email address is not associated with that phone number.
Eeeeek!

How do I get out this dead end?

Ps I don't remember signing up before
Pps is it possible to get all the Line promotions in ?English instead of .thai?

I think maybe I got the connection with LINE thru an early link on this thread.....yes, think it gave the Line ID for Uber.......was attracted by being able to use cash .....bit old fashioned ....and Line gives the promotions etc, but my Thai reading is limited.

Sub question....tho would still love help with setting up an account first and foremost:
Is it poss to order a pickup on ?Über or Grab?
I usually carry my bike on the back of my own jeep, but often would like a pickup with the bike.....

Phil at Centre of Universe has just convinced me to Download Uber to my phone.

He swears by it to transport his guests around and states that it is cheap and 'Bang' on time.

Cash payment and he is able to download a Receipt for his Tax purposes.

john

9 hours ago, siam2007 said:

you agreed to a total rip-off. Easy to walk just 100 Meters or so and then order an UBER or GRAB to pick you up around the corner. And if not those, call BLUEBIRD hotline and the will send a metered cab that ALWAYS switches on the Meter without saying a word (unless you hopped on one of those numerous Bluebird-copycats)

Yes i admitted I agreed to a rip off. After a very nice dinner at the Slippery Stone we didn't feel like walking. It isn't the easiest spot to find a cab either. No idea what the taxi was the restaurant called it. I agree it is completely my fault there are dishonest taxis out there preying on people who are lazy after a nice meal and a few drinks. This was also the day after new years so might have had something to do with it.

Whatever the case the taxis in Bali have become greedy scum and i don't remember it being that way 10 years ago. You know something is wrong when you have to go out of your way to find an honest one.

4 hours ago, larrybikes said:

I received a notification today for the current promotion but lost it before entering it in the Uber app. Can someone pass it along?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

They send a new one every 6 hours or so. I just deleted about 40 of them.

They announced yesterday I think it was that prices have gone up considerably. Not worth it anymore.

12 hours ago, elektrified said:

They send a new one every 6 hours or so. I just deleted about 40 of them.

They announced yesterday I think it was that prices have gone up considerably. Not worth it anymore.

Really? From when? I just checked and have been quoted the same as before. Agreed the airport and Kad Farang are a joke, but still getting the same quotes for town.

7 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Really? From when? I just checked and have been quoted the same as before. Agreed the airport and Kad Farang are a joke, but still getting the same quotes for town.

Well, Uber's flat rate for the airport is 150 baht. What is the airport taxi rate? 

10 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Whoops, you're right. I was quoted 350 for airport before, but now am quoted 150. I'll still use uber for going into town as the prices are still the same and less than half of the mafia.

i come back from KK today  and now the taxi charge  160b to go to the  city 

new rules ?  before 120b 

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to report that I took my first UBER trip today. I needed to take a trip to Central Festival and since I felt a bit sick I decided not to take bike or songthaew.   

First I registered my K-bank account , and I received a confirmation from Kasikorn that tey would accept UBER.  

Then all I had to do was to locate Central on the map and wait , within 30 secs a driver responded and he would be there in 7 minutes. The GPS tracking system is amazing ,  you can follow the cars and you know exactly when it will arrive for pick-up.  

When I enter the car , I received another SMS from the bank and I was charged 51 baht .  
That's right , only 51 baht for a distance of 4.3 km. In a comfortable air-con car .

So now that the songthaews in Chiang Mai are raising the fare up to 30 baht , UBER is actually cheaper unless you only want a ride to the old city . 

On 1/13/2017 at 3:38 PM, lkn said:

I noticed that as well. So did others. 

Now it seems like they have removed this fixed rate.. At least it's not part of the estimate any more.... Can someone confirm this?

There is a flat rate to Doi Suthep. The fare was 250 baht, but I heard that Uber recently raised it to 350 baht.

Also, I received a message from Uber a couple of weeks ago saying that they would provide a fixed price to all destinations when you request a ride. You would be charged this regardless of the distance or time. I have not used Uber since I received that message, but maybe someone else has and can verify.