Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and we can't pay cash ... and it is illegal no ? Can anybody confirmed as I would not like to put my credit card on it ... or debit card.

Anyway, I don't use it or need it ...for now ...but I heard that in Bangkok, Uber, Grab and other are working quite efficiently.

Ph.

Info has been received that Uber is no longer Illegal. but posting links to sites offering this service is covered by this Forum rule -

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method. Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain.

Discussion of this service may Resume. But no contact info as per this Forum Rule -

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

Uber was actually on a Original Thaivisa Youtube post

DELETED

Maybe it has to be posted on a major newspaper or from the Government

i am not sure how this can be verified anymore here

IMHO

Edited by seedy
Discuss Moderation

Y anyone would use Uber rather than a tuk-tuk is beyond me.  Go local, that's my motto.  But if you live far from the city, can't speak Thai, have no personal wheels, perhaps Uber is of some value.  

Well, i'm a Luddite regardless.  Have no smartphone so I'm 'out of the loop'.

1 hour ago, jobin said:

Y anyone would use Uber rather than a tuk-tuk is beyond me.  Go local, that's my motto.  But if you live far from the city, can't speak Thai, have no personal wheels, perhaps Uber is of some value.  

Any one that uses a dangerous, stinking, overpriced  Tuk Tuk is beyond me, transport from the last century maybe, time to move on.

Edited by kalbo123

1 hour ago, kalbo123 said:

Any one that uses a dangerous, stinking, overpriced  Tuk Tuk is beyond me, transport from the last century maybe, time to move on.

Yes..., certainly, many things are beyond some people. Fortunately these days..., different people are free to make different free choices. Personally I'm happy to have more transport choices..., just another horses for courses situation. Welcome to personal democracy.:wai:

Edited by Sandy Freckle

26 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Yes..., certainly, many things are beyond some people. Fortunately these days..., different people are free to make different free choices. Personally I'm happy to have more transport choices..., just another horses for courses situation. Welcome to personal democracy.:wai:

I have used the normal Taxi Service over the last 6 months

the price has dropped

So maybe we can expect not so much higher prices

i agree i see so many Tuk Tuk drivers and their driving

plus the prices used for a Songtaew  are rediculous

For a small price be driven in a vehicle that has protection and most important Air-conditioning

• 2 weeks later...

off to a bad start.  signed up for uber, installed app on mobile phone.  provided phone number, credit card information.

ready to order a ride.  Uber wants to verify my phone, will send verification text (SMS) to my phone.  No code received after 3 tries.

Unable to proceed.  Is there a local phone to call?  Anyone else have similar experience?

Strange. Is it a Thai number? I just installed it to give it a try in BKK when I'm back. Using my Thai mobile outside Thailand and they sent the SMS verification straight away. No credit card details either as I don't think that's how it works in Thailand. Cash payment AFAIK.

Sent using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Mekong Bob said:

off to a bad start.  signed up for uber, installed app on mobile phone.  provided phone number, credit card information.

ready to order a ride.  Uber wants to verify my phone, will send verification text (SMS) to my phone.  No code received after 3 tries.

Unable to proceed.  Is there a local phone to call?  Anyone else have similar experience?

I had the same problem

21 hours ago, Mekong Bob said:

This happened to me several times, I tried to sign up with them while in Vietnam as well as in Malaysia, both using a local number. The confirmation sms never came. It was GRAB for me then in Vietnam which worked smoothly, and in Malaysia I am using them since the first month of their operation anyway. As UBER is a US company you have to acknowledge customer service is non-existent

Ah. My bad. Looks like it is credit card still. Guess I just wasn't asked to register one yet as I haven't tried to make a booking. Thinking to try it more in BKK though, not CM. I guess anything would be good in CM if it brought down there crazy prices of taxis there. Not to mention the even more obscenely priced red songtaews.

Sent using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Ah. My bad. Looks like it is credit card still. Guess I just wasn't asked to register one yet as I haven't tried to make a booking. Thinking to try it more in BKK though, not CM. I guess anything would be good in CM if it brought down there crazy prices of taxis there. Not to mention the even more obscenely priced red songtaews.

Sent using Tapatalk

20 baht is an obscene price? 

On 11/20/2016 at 6:47 AM, jobin said:

Uber cars are also local , Thai drivers  just the same as Tuk-tuks .

I do hope that uber replaces tuk-tuks

Tuk tuks are noisy dirty air polltters  and they mostly drive around empty of customers , filling up the roads , driving at speed and erratically and constantly harassing felang passers by asking them if they want a tuk tuk 

25 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

20 baht is an obscene price? 

Quite often, more often than not red cars will not accept 20 baht for a fare , Tapae gate to the bus station and they usually ask for 100 Baht , although , if you ask enough of them, you can get it for 50 Baht .

Not in CNX but BKK, busy with some work in Chaeng Wattana, tried a couple of times to get Uber. First thing that happens is that the app rejects credit card payment and defaults to cash, then a driver needs 20 mins to come which is getting rather 40 mins with moving arrival times. One guy called, did not understand the map nor speak english, just canceled and falling back to waive one on the street. Uber is for people who don't know where they are and where they want to go.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Quite often, more often than not red cars will not accept 20 baht for a fare , Tapae gate to the bus station and they usually ask for 100 Baht , although , if you ask enough of them, you can get it for 50 Baht .

As you know, when they go off route, it becomes a different deal. And even at 100 baht, [$3 US] - it really does not sound expensive to me... but obscene? 

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Don't ask them how much it is or they'll assume you want a private hire. Tell the driver where you want to go, if he nods get in and give him 20B when you get out. 

WE used GRAB taxi regulary when we lived in BKK. Fantastic. Prior to GRAB's arrival we had to go through the hassle of negotiating off meter prices all the time - and had to get a moto taxi to the end of our soi as taxis rarely cam up it. After GRAB turned up we just had to plug in our details, offer a small tip to increase the drivers interest and we always got a cab to the door whenever we wanted one.  I haven't tried it yet in CM, but will do at some point.