Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

On 3/11/2017 at 5:54 PM, Dipterocarp said:

Just remember if you happen to travel to the States.Where the Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr depending on the state tipped employees can legally be paid $2.13.

and tips are taxable. The servers who get pockets picked by cheap diners  don't know about the shame half a century ago when 'Guvner threw  a half-farthing.

That's fine, I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of people in Thailand who are unaware of and rather uncomfortable with the whole tipping thing.  It seems to be just a north American thing, we're just not used to it.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Just went through setting up the Uber app and the cash payment option is no longer available, only credit/debit cards.

My wife set up her account today - cash only.

Mine is set to cash only as well. I would never have my credit cared charged.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:09 PM, MadMac said:

Uber often does not accept credit cards, had the happen a couple of times in BKK. The app already refuses the booking by CC.

Some drivers will not accept a credit card fare; only cash. I only use cash but one driver told me that many drivers will not accept a credit card booking.

12 hours ago, elektrified said:

only use cash but one driver told me that many drivers will not accept a credit card booking.

Why not ? The money gets paid directly into the account. I only use my Thai debit card and after I registered it to the app I never have problems to get a ride. 

Edited by balo

Seems to be no more news about the crackdown,, perhaps the red car lobby is waiting for a decision on section 44 closure of the app?'

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30308708

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1213633/uber-grab-still-fight-for-recognition

"Chiang Mai’s Red Car and taxi drivers, who regard Uber and Grab drivers as illegal competition, are helping authorities catch them by taking photo evidence."

Maybe people should start taking photos when Red Cars are stopped illegally.... see it every day.

"Deputy Transport Minister Pichit Akrathit on Friday said that the Transport Ministry would have a meeting in a couple of weeks to discuss a legal hurdle in which Uber claimed it could not register as a public transportation because Thai laws were outdated." This is going to be interesting.... :)

I hope they just give up and let uber do it's thing.

But they could blacklist the uber service IP's through section 44 forcing all thai ISP's to implement the block. It could be circumvented with proxies etc.

They could also keep raising the fines and making new crackdowns/sting operations until uber gives up.

Edited by hobz

On 3/13/2017 at 11:48 AM, balo said:

Why not ? The money gets paid directly into the account. I only use my Thai debit card and after I registered it to the app I never have problems to get a ride. 

I won't use it because too much time is involved contacting the company to dispute added on charges. I went through that when I used Uber and Lyft in the USA. Never had a problem getting added charges removed but it took a lot of time, had to wait on hold, and was a big hassle. I've seen on FB that Uber users in Thailand go through the same thing. Cash is the easiest. I can't say why some drivers won't accept customers who use cards to pay. I don't know.

I have never had a driver anywhere in the world who would not accept my using a card to pay. In fact, I cannot see how they could refuse if they wanted to. The charge is all done through Uber, and the driver has no option to refuse a card payment. 

Also, for disputing a fare, what do you mean by "wait on hold"? There is no phone number to call. All fare reviews and charge disputes are handled through the app or the Uber website. Anyway, there are no "added charges" apart from tolls, and of course there are no tolls in Chiang Mai.

So...I am confused.

Edited by bubba

I have spoken to a number of drivers lately and they all say they really appreciate customers who are willing to be picked up or dropped off in places where there are no Songthaews or taxis. All that means is that you might walk a hundred yards from, or to,  the Shopping centre, or get picked up in the carpark. Saves them a lot of harassment

9 minutes ago, Moontan said:

I have spoken to a number of drivers lately and they all say they really appreciate customers who are willing to be picked up or dropped off in places where there are no Songthaews or taxis. All that means is that you might walk a hundred yards from, or to,  the Shopping centre, or get picked up in the carpark. Saves them a lot of harassment

Understood. Thanks.

19 hours ago, Bassosa said:

What added on charges are these?

As far as I can tell, Uber's method for calculating ride cost seems pretty transparent.

Actually uber has flat rates to "specific destinations" like airport or doi suthep.

Usually this is shown clearly in the trip estimator. 

But they used to have a 350 THB flat fee for CM - Hang dong. The problem there was that the estimator would show 70thb but when you arrived you got billed 350thb. Or even worse, my coworker got the fee adjusted the morning after from 70 to 350 on her credit card....

Another problem was that these flat fees were not listed anywhere on the website.

They have since removed this specific flat fee (cm - hang dong), probably because the estimator had issues.

Edited by hobz

On 3/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, Moontan said:

We do this all the time.  Just park as far away as to not draw attention to the driver.  They appreciate it and we don't mind doing it.  
The red truckers are not getting my business and if they act out this bully crap they will even lose my short distance business.  Thugs.

Boy am I glad to read in todays Bangkok Post that Uber told the Transport Ministry to go pound salt. Stop the Uber service now for up to one year in Thailand while we study the issue???? What a joke, we all know in Thailand that these studies are useless. Uber to their credit rejected this lunacy and will continue to service Thailand and pay any fines that a driver might encur. Let these clowns who drive a red bus and the taxis who refuse to use a meter suffer, they deserve everything they get for years of abusing passengers both Foreigners and Thais alike. Go Uber, you have my full support.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 9.3.2017 at 0:43 PM, hobz said:

Interesting read on Red Car Lobby in Chiang Mai 

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/114-chiang-mai-stories:public-transport-in-chiang-mai-and-the-red-cab-mafia

In the article it claims that previously the red cab "lobby" has prevented development of public transportation (new bus system) in Chiang Mai.

They also prevented the authorities to stop them form using those terrible dirty Diesel Engines  and start setting up with cleaner cars.

ALONE these says  a lot how strong they Lobby is.

12 hours ago, thetruth revealer said:

They also prevented the authorities to stop them form using those terrible dirty Diesel Engines  and start setting up with cleaner cars.

ALONE these says  a lot how strong they Lobby is.

I can only repeat what I mentioned in this Forum before. Virtually ALL transport in the kingdom other than Bangkok is owned/controlled by local "VIP" politicians and BIB's.

Do I need to say more ?