Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

3 hours ago, thai006 said:

on saturday nite i was in central festival and no uber want to come ; the taxi mafia say to me  the police come and fine the driver and passenger that why they dont want come here again , so i take tuk tuk to back home 150 dammmm

150 baht? That evil mafia really fleeced you and should all be jailed for running this criminal enterprise!

So just out of curiosity, how much was the Starbucks coffee at Central Festival?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thai006 said:

on saturday nite i was in central festival and no uber want to come

It depends on where you navigate the pin on your app , I always make sure to get close to the exit from the parking , next to the free shuttle buses. 

Edited by balo

Took Uber again today (about the 6th time). The driver told me that he is not sure how long it will continue in Thailand. He said the mafia is making a lot of trouble and threatening Uber drivers. Many Uber and Grab drivers have already been fined. Now if they are caught they have to sit through a 3-hour attitude adjustment as well as pay a fine.

6 hours ago, lkn said:

150 baht? That evil mafia really fleeced you and should all be jailed for running this criminal enterprise!

So just out of curiosity, how much was the Starbucks coffee at Central Festival?

Funny guy... He didnt say how far that tuk tuk took him.. But if you've used a taximeter in bangkok then you know what the price should be (lets be honest, uber is probably too cheap). And you can never get prices near what they should be with tuk tuk or taximeter in cm. Song taews have raised their prices to 30thb, but they still accept 20thb most of the time. And thats a good deal if you're 1 or 2 people and enjoy breathing in exhaust fumes and sitting sideways (really awesome combo for someone that easily gets motion sick).

Anyway, transportation is horrible in cm until uber came. 

Taximeter = too expensive.. End up paying 300-400 for a roundtrip to the mall (with uber more like 100-150). Tuk tuk 200-300 plus bonus exhaust fumes in your face.

Red car as i mentioned...

Having your own motorbike or car is the best option.. Most people i know opt for having a motorbike... But its super dangerous... And it gets hot sometimes .. Yeah,

I really hope uber beats these (deletedz) .. Until then i will just use grab (same price as uber but no crackdown i think)

1 hour ago, Bassosa said:

So long Uber. So long progress.

Just wait until the crackdown stops.. We know thai police are... Until fhe try grab... Same price and services as uber but lower profile lol

On my last 2 trips I had lady drivers , I asked one of them how many passengers she would get in one day and she told me up to 20 customers on a good day .  Let's say 150 baht on average she would make around 3000 baht on a good day. Even with the cheap rates it's still a good enough income for them for sure . 

But the problem is that most Uber fares around town only fetch around 30 - 40 baht. Only the flat rate airport fare would earn a driver 150, or else longer trips into the countryside. The problem with the latter is that they would likely have to deadhead back to the city without a fare.

Also keep in mind that out of each fare, Uber's take is 25%, so for a 150 baht fare, the driver gets to keep 112.50 for the 150 baht airport trip. So let's say she had 20 customers, and five of them (optimistically) were airport fares. That is a grand total of perhaps 1500 baht after Uber's cut. She probably would have used a whole tank of petrol driving all day, and that would cost around 900 baht. That takes her cut down to 600 baht. Now factor in depreciation, car payments, insurance, maintenance.

Having done the math, I am not seeing that Uber drivers are making much more than minimum wage, if at all.

I hope you guys are leaving nice tips.

3 hours ago, bubba said:

But the problem is that most Uber fares around town only fetch around 30 - 40 baht. Only the flat rate airport fare would earn a driver 150, or else longer trips into the countryside. The problem with the latter is that they would likely have to deadhead back to the city without a fare.

Also keep in mind that out of each fare, Uber's take is 25%, so for a 150 baht fare, the driver gets to keep 112.50 for the 150 baht airport trip. So let's say she had 20 customers, and five of them (optimistically) were airport fares. That is a grand total of perhaps 1500 baht after Uber's cut. She probably would have used a whole tank of petrol driving all day, and that would cost around 900 baht. That takes her cut down to 600 baht. Now factor in depreciation, car payments, insurance, maintenance.

Having done the math, I am not seeing that Uber drivers are making much more than minimum wage, if at all.

I leave nice tips (30-40-50 thb) and I hope others do as well..

I have not had a trip under 50 THB yet... 30-40 must be for REALLY short distances... most trips I've taken have been from between 60-80 THB.

As for uber drivers making a living,, this is my worry,,, the drivers might cash in some money in the short term, but when you take into account maintenance costs for the vehicles I bet it's tough... But someone in an earlier post said that some Thai couple had leased a yaris and paid of the monthly installment in the 1st week (i assume around 10k) and that the remaining 3 weeks was profit. But in my experience most uber drivers looked miserable....But they really light up when i tipped them :D

I agree, but I think most cars are on LPG and not petrol, that would be 60-70% cheaper than petrol. Still a good enough income for a Thai when you know the average income in Thailand is around 400 baht per day.

I fully support Uber and take it as much as I possibly can. I tip the drivers as I appreciate their punctuality, the condition of their cars and the way they drive. No way in hell will I set foot in one of those red buses nor in any taxi that refuses to use the meter. These clowns operating said vehicles are fighting a losing battle as Thai people are beginning to see the benefits of using Uber and for that matter Grab. You can't stop of flow of progress by running around and taking photos of these drivers and then dropping a dime on them. Clean up your own houses, treat your passengers fairly, use the damn meter and maybe you will stay in business. Somehow I don't see that happening, what I think might happen is groups of these jokers physically assulting Uber and Grab drivers. It won't end well as cars will be damaged and drivers ending up in the hospital or worse.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

44 minutes ago, hobz said:

I leave nice tips (30-40-50 thb) and I hope others do as well..

I have not had a trip under 50 THB yet... 30-40 must be for REALLY short distances... most trips I've taken have been from between 60-80 THB.

As for uber drivers making a living,, this is my worry,,, the drivers might cash in some money in the short term, but when you take into account maintenance costs for the vehicles I bet it's tough... But someone in an earlier post said that some Thai couple had leased a yaris and paid of the monthly installment in the 1st week (i assume around 10k) and that the remaining 3 weeks was profit. But in my experience most uber drivers looked miserable....But they really light up when i tipped them :D

You are leaving out the performance bonuses that Uber pays drivers in addition to the fares and the increased fares during peak periods.  I  only know about Bangkok but I've  met many drivers who understand their maintenance and depreciation costs quite well and are satisfied with the fare system.  

That said, I tip them as a thank you for good service as well.  Why not? 

Edited by ricklev

20 minutes ago, ricklev said:

You are leaving out the performance bonuses that Uber pays drivers in addition to the fares and the increased fares during peak periods.  I  only know about Bangkok but I've  met many drivers who understand their maintenance and depreciation costs quite well and are satisfied with the fare system.  

That said, I tip them as a thank you for good service as well.  Why not? 

Ok, didn't know there was performance bonuses too! ... anyway, I've had around 15 uber rides in Chiang Mai and only one driver did not look miserable... but they all did the job perfectly and i tipped them all.. Maybe I smell bad or something lol

Edited by hobz

4 hours ago, bubba said:

One driver told me that the drivers are guaranteed 600/day regardless of how many passengers they drive. They get 600 even if there are no passengers. He said he drives 1/2 a day before opening his shop in the late afternoon and usually makes 1500 for 1/2 a day.

1 hour ago, balo said:

I agree, but I think most cars are on LPG and not petrol, that would be 60-70% cheaper than petrol. Still a good enough income for a Thai when you know the average income in Thailand is around 400 baht per day.

The "average income" for an unskilled laborer is about 300-400/day. Even our cleaning lady makes 600/day.

The "average income" for an unskilled laborer is about 300-400/day. Even our cleaning lady makes 600/day.

Well , a 7 eleven lady earns around 10000 baht . Skills or no skllls , I guess around 1500 baht per day would be considered a very nice income in Thailand. More than some foreign teachers on 30k salaries.

uber is a revolution for customer here ,  last time i got 3 big bag and ùy family so we cant take uber to the airport  so chang puak to the airport 2 adult 2 child with red car  how much? 150b and pick more customer thats really shit 

uber is a revolution for customer here ,  last time i got 3 big bag and ùy family so we cant take uber to the airport  so chang puak to the airport 2 adult 2 child with red car  how much? 150b and pick more customer thats really shit 

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, the government seems to have decided that the more expensive songthaews and tuk tuks are better for you and the tourists who visit Chiang Mai.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

17 hours ago, balo said:

Well , a 7 eleven lady earns around 10000 baht . Skills or no skllls , I guess around 1500 baht per day would be considered a very nice income in Thailand. More than some foreign teachers on 30k salaries.

Think again. Uber drivers might gross 1500 baht/day, but they are not netting 1500 baht/day.

She probably would have used a whole tank of petrol driving all day, and that would cost around 900 baht. That takes her cut down to 600 baht. Now factor in depreciation, car payments, insurance, maintenance.

So it does appear that Uber is such a menace to the public that the government is planning to use Article 44 to shut it down.

According to Land Transport Department Deputy director-general Nanthapong Cherdchu: “We may need a stronger medicine; we might propose the use of Article 44 to close this [Uber] app, as it is destroying the public transport system in the area,”

Also, in Chiang Mai, there has been a conflict between Uber and Grab car drivers and the “Red Car” Songthaew drivers, with the latter recently joining provincial land transport officials to launch a sting operation to catch and fine the app-affiliated drivers.

Full text here with an informative graphic comparing taxis to Uber:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308250

4 hours ago, bubba said:

So it does appear that Uber is such a menace to the public that the government is planning to use Article 44 to shut it down.

According to Land Transport Department Deputy director-general Nanthapong Cherdchu: “We may need a stronger medicine; we might propose the use of Article 44 to close this [Uber] app, as it is destroying the public transport system in the area,”

Also, in Chiang Mai, there has been a conflict between Uber and Grab car drivers and the “Red Car” Songthaew drivers, with the latter recently joining provincial land transport officials to launch a sting operation to catch and fine the app-affiliated drivers.

Full text here with an informative graphic comparing taxis to Uber:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308250

Whoever wrote that nation article did such a shitty job.

There's more advantages with uber:

1. With uber you use a map and gps to plan the trip. With a taxi you must hope the driver knows what you are trying to say. Some drivers don't even know how to use a map.

2. In uber the price estimate can be seen in advance with a fair system. (there can be surge pricing). With a normal taxi they can refuse to use the meter and you get inconsistent and exploitative price offers many times.

Edited by hobz

21 minutes ago, hobz said:

Interesting read on Red Car Lobby in Chiang Mai 

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/114-chiang-mai-stories:public-transport-in-chiang-mai-and-the-red-cab-mafia

In the article it claims that previously the red cab "lobby" has prevented development of public transportation (new bus system) in Chiang Mai.

Also worthwhile seeing how active the anti red cab facebook page is that is also referenced in thsi article......some 8000 Thai followers/members and almost daily updates.  Very pro Grab and Uber.  Clearly Thais have a problem with the Red Cab service as well.  Issue I have is that it is alright having a supplement with Uber and Grab but there still needs to be a better scheduled and/or regular public transport system for the Thais going about town like kids going to and from School, or folk carrying wares to sell, or coming from Arcade bus station with luggae etc.

https://www.facebook.com/antiredtaxi?fref=ts.