Getting caught with marijuana (THC) in my system

ricku

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HooHaa said:

I attempted to reply to this earlier, however there has been some werdness abot how the forum responds on chrome android.

searches and stops on Asoke (thonglor side) in around soi 23, narz, glow, as well as 31 near petburi, and soi 22 area continue apace. 

i have been searched numerous time over the past 10 years, though never  tested.

yes urine tests are rare, but the thonglor police have not let up.

Why do they search you so often ? Look poor and drug addict ? Have dreadlocks ? Black skin ? Tatoo ?

On 12/4/2016 at 11:47 AM, smutcakes said:

You would have to be the worlds most unlucky person for any of that scenario to play out. After a decade here i have never met anyone or met anyone who knew any who has been asked to submit a random drug test, its just such a remote scenario.

It depends where you go.  

I'm going to guess you don't frequent many of the late night underground style clubs.

23 hours ago, ricku said:

I smoke occasionally, like 2 - 3 joints per month. You say that my info is false, but according to websites like TheCannabist, It could take more than three months before a person has cleared all the THC from his/her system.

There is an article about it right here:
http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/03/09/how-long-does-weed-stay-in-your-system/48677/

Well, thanks for the input and warnings (everyone), I'll just skip smoking for a few months before I head to Thailand. That's the beauty of this thing, it really never gets addictive. At least if you don't chain-smoke it.

Yeah, I know that the risk of getting caught is extremely low, but I don't want to take any chances in that country.

Wow!! Talk about cautious. The chances are extremely low and all you would have to do anyway is pay a fine. How many sets of belts and suspenders do you wear?

The OP said (unable to quote, so cut and paste)

"I am well aware of the retarded drug laws in Thailand, and I have no intention of breaking any of them.

But let's say that I smoke up in some country where it is legal (like USA or Holland). And shortly after that, I fly to Thailand and I get caught with THC in my blood, in some random urine test at some random nightclub. These things do happen!

Will I get prosecuted, even though I smoked the weed in a country where it's legal?"

People's different perspectives on something are quite amusing at times.

If I started this thread, I'd be saying.....

I'd KNOW I was retarded if I smoked dope......in ANY country, much less in a SE Asian country!!

If it's so good, why is it not addictive??  Surely if something is as good as dope is claimed to be, you want more, and more, etc., and according to an earlier poster, if you smoke a lot, it is addictive.

I would have thought a B50,000 (about AUD 2000), as quoted by dcnx post #15, as the required payment to the BiB, would be sufficient incentive to not use the stuff??

To each his own.  

Edited by F4UCorsair
pasting OP

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

"I am well aware of the retarded drug laws in Thailand, and I have no intention of breaking any of them.

But let's say that I smoke up in some country where it is legal (like USA or Holland). And shortly after that, I fly to Thailand and I get caught with THC in my blood, in some random urine test at some random nightclub. These things do happen!

Will I get prosecuted, even though I smoked the weed in a country where it's legal?"

I'd KNOW I was retarded if I smoked dope......in ANY country, much less in a SE Asian country!!

If it's so good, why is it not addictive??  Surely if something is as good as dope is claimed to be, you want more, and more, etc., and according to an earlier poster, if you smoke a lot, it is addictive.

I would have thought a B50,000 (about AUD 2000), as quoted by dcnx post #15, as the required payment to the BiB, would be sufficient incentive to not use the stuff??

To each his own.  

Do you drink alcohol? If yes, then please get of your high horse. It's seems a lot of your basis for hating weed is that people who smoke it seem "less intelligent". If you are fine with alcohol (being drunk), then your dislike for marijuana is hypocritical at best.. I'd say retarded.

Edited by ricku

On 12/4/2016 at 7:41 PM, jspill said:

Possession, or testing positive in a test, isn't actually as big of a deal in Thailand as it would be in other Asian countries. Indonesia / Macau / Philippines are way more retarded. 

The official law is actually a 10k - 60k baht fine, in the Narcotics act, for testing positive for marijuana in a test. 

The OP may not realize it, but marijuana is still classified as a Schedule I substance in America.  Which means that its use is still against US federal law.  The federal government has simply decided not to enforce these laws in states that have chosen to legalize pot.  This may change when Jeff Sessions takes over as US Attorney General.  So drug laws in America may be as "retarded" (in the OPs words) as Thailand and most other places.

34 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The OP may not realize it, but marijuana is still classified as a Schedule I substance in America.  Which means that its use is still against US federal law.  The federal government has simply decided not to enforce these laws in states that have chosen to legalize pot.  This may change when Jeff Sessions takes over as US Attorney General.  So drug laws in America may be as "retarded" (in the OPs words) as Thailand and most other places.

But even in the states with outdated laws, they won't lock you up for years because of minor possession.

Like they do in Thailand..

Throwing non violent offenders (smokers) in jail, while allowing unlimited consumption of alcohol.. That's what I referred to as 'retarded'

Edited by ricku

1 minute ago, ricku said:

But in the US, they won't lock you up for years because of minor possession.

Throwing non violent offenders (smokers) in jail, while allowing unlimited consumption of alcohol.. That's what I referred to as 'retarded'

You won't get locked up for years for minor possession.  These draconian laws in Thailand and other Asian countries are mostly after drug traffickers. 

1 hour ago, ricku said:

But even in the states with outdated laws, they won't lock you up for years because of minor possession.

Like they do in Thailand..

Yeah as said several times in this very thread, you won't be locked up for years. 

If you can't afford the on the spot payoff (10k - 100k baht, probably more like 60k) you'll be detained at which point you can arrange for people to bring you the bail money to be released (up to 100k, can be negotiated to ~50k) and then you'll appear in court at a later date to pay a much smaller fine (3 - 10k). 

Or worst comes to worst you can't afford either and don't know anyone to lend you money, at which point you might be detained up to a month or so until your court hearing finally happens. 

For example this forum poster was caught with 3oz of weed, or 90 grams, a huge amount. Did 1 month in prison because he had no money. 3k baht fine at his court hearing.

Also weed can be out of your system in 10 days if you only smoke occasionally. The 90 days figure is a very generous estimate, for a frequent smoker. 

Also it's Thailand, it's not unheard of for people to bribe their way out of a urine test, or for urine tests to not work, or to not detect weed only more serious drugs, etc. etc. 

Just don't smoke a couple weeks before coming, and don't hang out in afterhours nightclubs (99% of an already tiny risk is removed simply by not going to discos that stay open after 2am). Don't hang out in bars that have shisha pipes either (lately they're getting raided as it's illegal).

The streetside urine tests aren't happening anymore, even when the big stop and searches scandal was going on a year or so ago they only involved urine tests like 10% of the time, the rest of it was passport checks.

Save this pic to your phone, which says urine tests can only be done at the station, not street side. This pamphlet was released by police as part of their apology for the streetside stop and searches last year.

stop-and-searches-thailand-thonglor-poli

7 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

To each his own.  

To each its own and people who are wrong seem to never be able to improve.

OP was right, retarded laws, and even retarded US government now understands, just few ridiculous people are against evolution...  maybe they also are ridiculous creationists...

9 minutes ago, autoc said:

To each its own and people who are wrong seem to never be able to improve.

OP was right, retarded laws, and even retarded US government now understands, just few ridiculous people are against evolution...  maybe they also are ridiculous creationists...

So in your opinion smoking shit is evolution-al....?.............:blink:

On ‎04‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 11:46 AM, starky said:

Short answer, yep absolutely I would guess. Dont know the penalty for a positive piss test but probably not too harsh or you might get lucky with some police who may be able to " work it out" on the spot. I dont think where you took your drugs would matter much to the RTP.

Absolutely correct. If someone is so stupid as to use MJ before coming to SEA, where all countries have severe penalties, they can't blame anyone else if they are in severe doodoo when caught in a random drug check, or if involved in an accident.

Can't do without it, OK, but don't come to Thailand unless it's out of your system.

I support people being able to use whatever drugs they choose to put in their body, but that is nothing to do with being positive in a country where it incurs a penalty. Face reality.

22 hours ago, ricku said:

Do you drink alcohol? If yes, then please get of your high horse. It's seems a lot of your basis for hating weed is that people who smoke it seem "less intelligent". If you are fine with alcohol (being drunk), then your dislike for marijuana is hypocritical at best.. I'd say retarded.

Ahhhh!!   The old alcohol versus weed chestnut.   You may have missed the subtle difference........alcohol is legal.   Another small point is that one doesn't have to get smashed on alcohol as you suggest, "fine with alcohol (being drunk), etc.,"

I don't hate weed, or even dislike weed (I can't imagine how you would deduce that from my post), nor its users, but I do contend that if anybody arrives in SE Asia, any country, with traces of THC in his/her system, or uses weed whilst there, that they fall in the lowest half , or perhaps the lowest point one percent of the intellectual spectrum.  That's a nice way of saying they're nuts, or perhaps they just enjoy paying ridiculously for their habit, or may even want to explore the inside of a gaol cell??  Their choice.

Some may view the laws of SE Asian countries as draconian, retarded, or similar adjectives, but they are the laws.   You violate them at your peril, and I have to say that whenever consular assistance is given to people who have violated, I resent that the taxes I've paid go to supporting such stupid people.

Edited by F4UCorsair
spellcheck

On 07/12/2016 at 6:51 AM, F4UCorsair said:

I do contend that if anybody arrives in SE Asia, any country, with traces of THC in his/her system, or uses weed whilst there, that they fall in the lowest half , or perhaps the lowest point one percent of the intellectual spectrum.  That's a nice way of saying they're nuts, or perhaps they just enjoy paying ridiculously for their habit, or may even want to explore the inside of a gaol cell??  Their choice.

Some may view the laws of SE Asian countries as draconian, retarded, or similar adjectives, but they are the laws.   You violate them at your peril, and I have to say that whenever consular assistance is given to people who have violated, I resent that the taxes I've paid go to supporting such stupid people.

I smoke it here all the time. Did you read the thread, it was posted like 5 times that you don't get jailed for simple possession or testing positive in a test. Just a fine of $300-$2000, or $60 to walk away from a test. That's not 'paying ridiculously', in the very unlikely event one has to pay that. It's not a habit, it's a hobby, weed isn't physically addictive.

Pretty cheap hobby really, at 100 baht a gram. Way more cost effective than alcohol, which also comes with risks of large hospital bills, health complications, etc. So all the money saved from less drinking (in my case, zero drinking) is put towards the tiny chance of having to pay a bribe somewhere down the line because weed isn't legalized everywhere yet. 

On 12/4/2016 at 7:41 PM, jspill said:

Possession, or testing positive in a test, isn't actually as big of a deal in Thailand as it would be in other Asian countries. Indonesia / Macau / Philippines are way more retarded. 

The official law is actually a 10k - 60k baht fine, in the Narcotics act, for testing positive for marijuana in a test. 

Incorrect - " imprisonment of up to one year and/or a fine of up to twenty thousand baht if you test positive for a Category V drug, like marijuana "

17 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Incorrect - " imprisonment of up to one year and/or a fine of up to twenty thousand baht if you test positive for a Category V drug, like marijuana "

I know but in practice it never happens. All laws are written in full form with that 'and/or' caveat. Just like no one was imprisoned for visa overstay, the full law has always actually "a fine of up to 20,000 baht, and/or imprisonment of up to 2 years" but no one gets imprisoned (IDC isn't prison). Work permit laws too, are written with prison sentences in the full form, in reality people pay a fine.

27 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Sorry Jspill, but you said "the official law" and now you are back peddling saying "in reality".

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

Sorry Jspill, but you said "the official law" and now you are back peddling saying "in reality".

I said the fine amount specified in the official law, I left out the 'and/or' because I know it never happens. Please show me any prison inmates there for possession of weed. We even have a Thaivisa member who posted in this thread he was caught with a huge, huge amount (90 grams) and spent 45 days on remand (not prison) because he couldn't afford bail (a fine) before the court hearing. 

9 hours ago, jspill said:

I smoke it here all the time. Did you read the thread, it was posted like 5 times that you don't get jailed for simple possession or testing positive in a test. Just a fine of $300-$2000, or $60 to walk away from a test. That's not 'paying ridiculously', in the very unlikely event one has to pay that. It's not a habit, it's a hobby, weed isn't physically addictive.

Pretty cheap hobby really, at 100 baht a gram. Way more cost effective than alcohol, which also comes with risks of large hospital bills, health complications, etc. So all the money saved from less drinking (in my case, zero drinking) is put towards the tiny chance of having to pay a bribe somewhere down the line because weed isn't legalized everywhere yet. 

You can jusgtify anything to yourself.  I have no problem with you continuing to do so.

Unable to edit typo....justify

9 hours ago, muzmurray said:

And you got that wrong !! You said " The official law is actually a 10k - 60k baht fine", that is incorrect - the law says a fine of up to 20k.

I'm happy to be corrected if it's even cheaper.

On 08/12/2016 at 5:38 PM, F4UCorsair said:

An aspect of this thread that I haven't seen anyone cover is the sensitivity of the test that they use. Whilst it may well be the case that cannabis is detectable in a forensic laboratory at very low concentrations for up the three months or more following use, normally the sort of tests they use for roadside screening are not going to be that sensitive,  as more sensitive = more expensive. Common sense tells you that there has to be threshold level at which a positive test will be triggered; it is not, for example, going to be positive if your urine contains only one of two molecules of cannabis metabolites. The trigger level is likely to be quite a high level so, moderate use in the past day or two or a real pot bender in the past two or three weeks would be my best guess.