Cool weather a boon to tourism

webfact

Cool weather a boon to tourism

UTHAI THANI, 5 December 2016 (NNT) – Domestic tourism has reportedly benefited greatly by cooling temperatures in the nation’s north with many people seen traveling this past weekend. 

Locals and visitors alike were seen enjoying forest areas in Uthai Thani this past weekend as temperatures in the lower Northern Province have dropped considerably. Just a short drive from Bangkok, many travelers have chosen to go camping in Uthai Thani, which is now featuring temperatures of only 18-20 degrees Celsius. The influx of visitors has especially been a boon to hill tribe people who have been selling their handmade goods and assisting campers. Travelers are also buying up organically grown produce such as cabbage, strawberries and raspberries. 

In Chiang Rai, tourists have flocked to Phu Chee Fah National Park, a popular high altitude site where temperatures are now 7-13 degrees Celsius. The local administration has had to order assistance for local villages coping with the cold climate, but visitors have been seen enjoying the atmosphere, many lighting fires at their camps. The province is expected to experience its coolest temperatures in 3 years later this month. 

Some 200,000 people are believed to be in need of warm clothing in Chiang Rai, mostly hill tribe people. So far, government efforts have collected 30,000 articles of warm clothing.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-05

4 hours ago, kannot said:

locals enjoying the forest = more trash than the eye can see after theyve  gone

Every year the same "in need of warm clothing"...what happened  to last years handouts?

Possibly worn out, or grown out of?

How long is  second hand clothing supposed to last anyway?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

benefited greatly by cooling temperatures in the nation’s north with many people seen traveling this past weekend. 

Like the swallows from Capitstrano. I guess the heat would have turned them back. Tell them the burning has started that should ward them off.  

Edited by elgordo38

6 hours ago, sambum said:

Possibly worn out, or grown out of?

How long is  second hand clothing supposed to last anyway?

Yeah  right, the only thing I wear out is  shoes and that takes about 3  months...working on the land even t  shirts  last ages

51 minutes ago, kannot said:

Yeah  right, the only thing I wear out is  shoes and that takes about 3  months...working on the land even t  shirts  last ages

51 minutes ago, kannot said:

"what happened  to last years handouts?'

Shoes last  3 months, and working on the land even t shirts last ages"

So, work out the math(s)! 

Domestic tourism does not increase GDP or the country's wealth, unless citizens spend their savings. Then it's only a short term boost, followed by contraction as people replenish their savings after. But I doubt enough people have such surplus savings and those few who do have to it on extra travel not previously planned.

14 hours ago, kannot said:

locals enjoying the forest = more trash than the eye can see after theyve  gone

Every year the same "in need of warm clothing"...what happened  to last years handouts?

They seem to have enough money to buy the higher end cell phones, on which they talk, listen to music and play games all day. The basic 600 baht phone isn't fancy enough for them. They even talk on them when the;y are riding on their motorbikes. They have their priorities, and warm clothing isn't on top of their list. Especially when they know they will be handed out to them for free every year. 

5 hours ago, sambum said:

"what happened  to last years handouts?'

Shoes last  3 months, and working on the land even t shirts last ages"

So, work out the math(s)! 

doubt  they  supply either of  these (shoes and t  shirts) and "warm"  clothes  will not be worn for long......you work it  out, it  doesnt need a calculator....worn for a  month or  two then not used again =  will not be worn out

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Surely you dont begrudge poor people getting given warm clothes ?

That would depend if those poor  people then sold them on later and I doubt they are "really"  poor

Many clothes sent for 'charity' end up being sold in markets. My missus recently saw lots of second hand clothes for sale in a market in Bangkok. They were all brand names clothes being resold at very cheap prices. She asked the lady selling them where they came form and she said they were handouts from European charities. She had a huge amount of them and was going to make a lot of money. Meanwhile the people who 'donated' them think that they have gone to 'charity'...

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

At last some good news for the numerous Thai tourism authorities.

Here in Phuket, the dreadful weather of the past week is driving tourists away!

Bad weather in Good  weather out?

Yea sure, those piss poor hill folks up in Chiang Rai are just scamming everyone. Of course every year blankets are distributed to each and every remote highland village. And of course all those used shirts are sold by remote highlanders to other markets. Bring on your neoliberal nonsense to Thailand and attack the poorest for being poor.

You pathetic excuses for humanity know nothing about life in the hills of the North.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

50 minutes ago, Johpa said:

Yea sure, those piss poor hill folks up in Chiang Rai are just scamming everyone. Of course every year blankets are distributed to each and every remote highland village. And of course all those used shirts are sold by remote highlanders to other markets. Bring on your neoliberal nonsense to Thailand and attack the poorest for being poor.

You pathetic excuses for humanity know nothing about life in the hills of the North.

I just made a point about charity. I didn't refer to the poor hill tribes at all. You need to chillax!!  Those hill tribe people are discriminated against and many even lack ID cards. However to insult all of us for expressing our opinions on a public forum? You seem to have some mental issues perhaps?? I've been to many of the hill tribe villages in the North and they seemed to be all booming due to tourism and farming projects. Obviously not all of the people are earning from tourism but there are certainly opportunities in all of the royal projects and farming communities for employment...

You seem to have some mental issues perhaps?? I've been to many of the hill tribe villages in the North and they seemed to be all booming due to tourism and farming projects. Obviously not all of the people are earning from tourism but there are certainly opportunities in all of the royal projects and farming communities for employment...

My mental issues are kept in check until I get bored and decide to read ThaiVisa for entertainment.

But yes, the very few villages that have access to tourism or Royal Projects can have some modest success. I just spent several days at one Royal Project station in north Chiang Dao District and the adjacent Lahu villagers were doing OK, not yet middle class mind you, still quite poor, but better than those in the villages of say north and west of Fang. But the poor villages west of the northern section of the 107 or those spread out north of the Kok River are far more common than those adjacent to a Royal Project or those rare Karen villages such as you find in Mae Win southwest of Chiang Mai that have built up a tourist infrastructure.

By the way, most of the government aid such as blankets are distributed by the Border Police who also operate many of the primary schools in the more remote areas.

Here is a more specific example of what I witnessed last week at the Royal Project. The project encouraged and aided villagers in growing red mung beans for export. The villagers sold the beans to the Royal Project who processed, graded, and packaged the beans for export to Japan. The typical family received about 40,000 Baat for their efforts that extended over about 6 months, about 6,600 Baat per month of family labor.