Bahtbus 20 baht ?

Pattaya46

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the official posting over this non news story. Long story short in that the Baht Taxi drivers dont have a scooby as to what is being talked about. Simply no idea

Edited by Chivas

Just now, Jingthing said:

Maybe it's happening.

Maybe it's NOT happening. 

But if this turns out to be FAKE NEWS and enough people believe it is happening, and start paying 20 instead of 10 based on that belief, it could end up becoming an unintended reality. 

possibly but certainly less than 1% of people wandering around Pattaya at any one time are connected to forums (probably 0.1% this forum) so very few will have read it

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

possibly but certainly less than 1% of people wandering around Pattaya at any one time are connected to forums (probably 0.1% this forum) so very few will have read it

I agree that relatively few people will have read that,

but I first heard about it from someone who doesn't know how to use Internet... proof that rumors don't need forums or Facebook to spread :wink:

Anyway, the day the fee will increase (because yes it will happen... some day) I bet we will see big signs on all bahtbus to be sure that every customers is informed about what he must pay now... So wait & see :cool:

I reckon the rumor has already started assuming this isn't real which I'm not. Consider the psychology of the drivers when they get wind of this and many more people start paying 20 without demand. What's to stop them from saying it is so regardless? Could be big fun.

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I agree that relatively few people will have read that,

but I first heard about it from someone who doesn't know how to use Internet... proof that rumors don't need forums or Facebook to spread :wink:

Anyway, the day the fee will increase (because yes it will happen... some day) I bet we will see big signs on all bahtbus to be sure that every customers is informed about what he must pay now... So wait & see :cool:

I haven't used the baht buses in a very long time, but I remember that the standard fares used to be displayed on the back of the cab (5 Baht within Pattaya).

Today I was in town without my car and used 4 baht buses. As far as I can recall, none of them had the fares displayed. I didn't ask the fare but handed over 10B per person each time (just short journeys from Tuk Com/RGP/Central/Walking Street/Tuk Com). Three of us, so a total 120B.

It would have been cheaper in the car, but I must say that I enjoyed the ride (memories of good times). Riding the baht bus is one of the unique experiences of Pattaya - worth every baht (IMHO).

But, at 20B a ride it will be expensive for locals and frequent users.

Well my first visit to Pattya was in 2004 and the price was 10 baht. So now 12 years later it goes to 20 baht.  That would equate to about 6% inflation rate per year. For a casual tourist in town for a few weeks it won't be a big deal.  If somebody takes many short hops on and off during the day, say 5 on and offs, it still will only be 100 baht, or about 3 USD.  For the convenience of getting around, getting on and off almost anytime you want on any of the major roads in the relatively small city beach road, 2nd road, 3rd road, Pattaya Klang, etc, I think the baht bus is still a good deal. 10 baht was a steal no matter how you slice it.  It was barely more than one US quarter 25 cent piece!  I enjoyed walking around a bit and the baht bus always suited me fine for casual getting around.  Grabbed a moto bike taxi for a more direct trip like up to the Big Buddha, or at night coming back from a gogo with a date if had a few drinks.

Taxis at the beginning of the North end of Beach Road (opposite Dusit Thani hotel) were being stopped by "officials" (they had clipboards) and were handed an A4 sheet of paper this morning. What was written on that piece of paper, I wonder?

10 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

An increase like this might backfire, in that for those short trips many more would probably just walk

Then I would suggest buying a bicycle at Big C for 2000 baht , and you can forget about the baht bus . 100 trips with a baht bus and your bike is free. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Then I would suggest buying a bicycle at Big C for 2000 baht , and you can forget about the baht bus . 100 trips with a baht bus and your bike is free. 

Not talking about myself, I'd rather walk and get the exercise if it's a short trip. I'll still use them in the same way as before if I want to go further - what I'm referring to is the large number of people I see jumping on and then off again after a very short distance, I wonder if they'll lose some of that business. 

8 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

I heard this morning that from the 24th of this month baht-buses are no longer allowed to perform chartered services. 

Which means (if true) at least 60% of the baht-buses will be absolete. 

Of course the question is: how will the bib enforce this new rule?

The regular route is usually written on the side of the baht bus (in Thai). If the route says pattaya to jomtien and the bus is spotted over the dark side etc

3 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

I heard this morning that from the 24th of this month baht-buses are no longer allowed to perform chartered services. //

I suppose in relation with this article (in Thai):

http://manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9590000124434

If someone can summarize an accurate translation... Thanks  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier today.. 12.30 ish there was a marked lack of Baht busses along Soi Boukheaw. Under normal circumstances they are, at most, 5 minutes apart... today there were people still waiting after 30 minutes. The only  one that came along was crammed with folk and suitcases from the bus station.

Has some sort of control been put upon them?..... 2nd rd busses seemed to be normal

Earlier today.. 12.30 ish there was a marked lack of Baht busses along Soi Boukheaw. Under normal circumstances they are, at most, 5 minutes apart... today there were people still waiting after 30 minutes. The only  one that came along was crammed with folk and suitcases from the bus station.

Has some sort of control been put upon them?..... 2nd rd busses seemed to be normal

According to another thread, baht buses on sou Bukaow have been ordered to stop.

According to another thread, baht buses on sou Bukaow have been ordered to stop.

That soi houses the largest group of expats in Pattaya. You would think a few would post their observations from the many barstools. Can only assume baht buses are running every 30 seconds as always

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

On 12/15/2016 at 0:31 PM, Pattaya46 said:

I suppose in relation with this article (in Thai):

http://manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9590000124434

If someone can summarize an accurate translation... Thanks  :smile:

I asked a Thai friend to translate. She explained the article says.....

At a meeting between the baht bus drivers and the authorities the drivers were asked to stay on their routes and stop accepting private hire jobs.

The drivers replied that private hire was the only way they could turn a profit.

The outcome of the meeting was that they were then supposed to stop doing private hire jobs.

My friend doubted that the authorities would be able to enforce this.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So ... have the general fares gone up to 20 baht already or not?

I'll be riding today and unless there is obvious signage, I'll offer 10 and see what happens.

But are people experiencing a fare rise demand or not? 

Supposedly it starts on Jan1st :whistling: